Thread: Fleas?

Default Fleas?

This is probably a weird question but here goes....For those of you who have been fortunate enough to connect w/ a coyote, wolf, etc., have you found that had a lot of fleas on them? The reason I'm asking is that my plan, if I'm ever successful in a hunt, is to skin them at home in my attached garage and I don't want to get fleas in my house. I have a big dog that they'd love and a neat-freak wife who'd go crazy if I brought the bugs home with me. What have you guys experienced and what advice do you have? Thanks.

Dave

I'm not a trapper but I have been in on a couple of wolf kills and niether had any or ticks. To my knowlege there are no "wild" fleas or ticks in Alaska

Default Fleas?

I agree that there are no ticks but I'm pretty sure there are fleas. I've seen them on snowshoe hares.

More likely lice... I think. Check out this link. Also good info about other diseases.
    http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=disease.skin6

Default fleas

I worked in a taxidermy shop as a skinner for several years and there are many furbearers in Alaska that have fleas. Mostly the ones that eat snowshoe hair. There is no problem skinning them in your garage if you find that one of your animals, which you have trapped, has fleas or lice, you can place them in a garbage bag and spray raid in the bag. After you spray raid, then seal it up and set it outside for a day or two. This should take care of the bug problem then they are ok to skin.

Default Great Idea!

That's simple enough. Thanks for the help.

Dave

Lynx are known to have them. I have had cats covered black with them. Alot of times you don't even see them untill you take them out of a freezer a few weeks later. And don't let anyone tell you that freezing your animals will kill off the flea's. Do like trapperdan says and you will take care of....most of them.

Default freezing

If you freeze them it needs to be for a least a week before the fleas will die. I hang them in the shed for about a week before skinning and have not had a problem yet, although the outdoor temps are usually below 0.

Trapman
    You have never caught a lynx before. Who do you think you are fooling

Roger the garbage bag and Raid for fleas. There are lots and I mean lots of them on some animals. Very few ticks but in 1974 I shot a snowshoe hare for camp meat while on a spring black bear hunt in the Minto Flats area and it was absolutely crawling with ticks so believe me there are some here. That is the only time I ever saw ticks in Alaska. I threw the hare into the Tolovana river after picking it up by the tip of one ear.

Default Ticks

Don't know about Southcentral or Interior, but in SE I have seen squirrels covered with ticks. So far around the Valley I have not caught anything with fleas or ticks, have seen lice on ermine and those little white mites on muskrats. The red fox I got this weekend had no hitchhikers at all.

Have been told by many vets that there are no fleas in Alaska. But I do know there is lice on the wolves. The wolves on the Kenai have had lice for over 30 years. Everyone knew that. To prevent the killing of wolves in the forty mile area some bright animal rights activest, convinced the Knowls administration to transplant wolves from the forty mile to the Kenai. Problem came when the transplanted wolves went home. They infected all the wolves they came in contact with along the way. Now many packs in the Interior are so badly infected that trappers are no longer trying to trap wolves. The infected ones continue to spread lice.

Mark

There are lice among wild canids in Southcentral Alaska.

There are also ticks in Alaska, but I've been told by ADFG biologists that they are all "host specific" (squirrel ticks don't attack domestic rabbits, etc).

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Seen fleas in marten quite a few times. Some sort of a flea on a beaver too...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

When the rabbit population on the Peninsula was high for rabbits I was shooting them and some of them were covered with them also the last lynx I killed here on the Peninsula was covered with them too. The lynx went into a garbage bag with some flea powder and problem solved. The rabbits were skinned outside far away from my house.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk