Thread: Grant Lake / Moose Pass

Default Grant Lake / Moose Pass

Has anyone hiked into Grant Lake. My maps show a couple of unmaintained, maybe mining trails.
    Any info would be great.
    Thanks,
    Snowview

Default Getting there...

The trick is getting across Trail Lake. You could walk the train tracks, but know that is illegal and you would be subject to fine if caught. Once all lakes are frozen, I suppose you could walk across. I took a canoe across Trail Lake, which allows access to a couple of trails. I portaged my canoe to Grant Lake, which was a bit of a challenge, but hiking the trail sans canoe wouldn't be bad at all. Trail conditions were good and easy to follow all the way to the shore.

Bryan

Default Trail Head

You portaged a canoe up there. Wow, was it worth it? My map shows two trails. One that meets the lake at the outlet and the other which connects around the middle of the lake. Did you take the one that starts by the RR tracks? Is there a Trail Head marker there?
    Thanks for the info.
    Scott

Default Both are options...

It would depend on how you define "worth it"...I don't think I would jump at the chance to repeat that adventure. The trials are good for walking, though. Both trails are viable options. I don't recall any signage, but the trail near the RR tracks is fairly obvious. The trail near the middle of the lake is a bit trickier to locate from trail lake, but once you find it, it is a good trail.

If you know which way you want to go, I can provide more details. Post or PM if you desire.

Bryan

Default Grant Lake

Grant Lake is my favorite get away. Last September while canoeing at Trail Lake I met with two couples with chain saws and brush hogs. They had just cleared the trail to the old Case mine and were looking for the portage in the middle of the Lake. They were commisioned by the Forest service to clear those trails, so I guided them to it. I go back there several times in a summer(I'm one of the very few that do) and have been a victim of that portage five times. It's about a mile and a quarter and is grueling, at least it was. With the windfalls and brush cleared out it'll be a piece of cake. Park near the railroad bridge (somewhere out of the way). It's a good idea to let the railroad security know your vehicle. Anywhere you can park is their right of way, but hey don't mind if you let them know. Stay off the bridge! There's a good launch on the upstreem side of the bridge. Immediately across the bridge is a great trail to the old Case Mine. If you go down streem from the bridge after the second point of land on your left about half way to the third point you'll see my ribbons in a tree at the portage. Don't even think about the old Grant Creek trail at the mouth of Trail Lake. It's deadfall city and totally impassable. I faught it last September all the way to the falls, but I aint that smart. Enjoy the campsite on the other side, Ive left fire wood, a stone fire pit and a grate for you.

Default Portage Route

Thanks for your reply. So your saying that the straightest route to the lake is the portage you refer to and the Case Mine trail? Does it eventually get to the lake too. Are there any old ruins to check out from the mining days?
    And it sounds like you would also recommend packing in a watercraft. Can you easily walk around the lake or is it pretty tough brush along the edge? I'm going to check it out this year I hope.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Wink Grant Lake

We just hiked out to Grant Lake this weekend. It was awesome. The trail was well maintained and dry for the most part. The views of the Lake were great. It was neat to see the old mining building. The hike was about 3.5 miles each way. We took a boat across Trail Lake. The motor died on the way back and my husband had to row us back to our camp site. It was a great trip.

Thanks sweetie!!

Default Grant Lake Fishing....NOT

(note these recent responces are to a very old thread.)

Grant Lake is/was a great little hike in the past. The only problem with Grant Lake is that, to my knowledge and fishing ability, it has no fish.
    Can anybody, has anybody, proved me wrong?

There are falls 'tween the outlet and trail river, so no fish can get up into the lake. I caught no lakers, no 'bows, no char. Think i saw one sculpin.

Easy, fun little hike. Beautiful mountains. Recreational miners used to keep the trail open with their four-wheelers. Years ago a coleman conoe spent the summers up on the lake. Now...?? Black bears were easily sighted and hunted during the spring on that south facing slope.

Dennis

i'm wondering if it is 1.25 or 3.5 miles from trail to grant lake. 2 different posts have 2 different distances.

It is about 3 or 3.5 miles from the RR bridge up to the west side of Grant Lake. An hour+ each way.
    Start on the right side of the RR tracks just after crossing the RR bridge at the lower end of Trail Lake.
    Happy exploring....dennis

Default More Info on Southern Trail to Grant Lake Please

I read all the posts about getting to Grant Lake and understand that there are basically two trails that go there - both shown on Trails Illustrated Kenai Fjords NP map. My question pertains to the southern trail that begins above the outlet of Upper Trail Lake and reaches Grant Lake at its outlet. This trail appears on the map and seems to be confirmed from previous posts to be the shorter trail.

Has anyone used this trail recently, how long is it one way, and what shape is it in? I'm thinking about portaging a canoe back there.

Thanks. DocW

The south trail hasn't been cleaned out in decades and is riddled with deadfall beetle killed spruce and devils club. It took me nearly 3 hours last September to make it 1/2 a mile carrying only my day pack and rifle. Portaging anything there is immpossable. The trail a mile and a half south of the RR is clear and easy. I've done some improvements at the campsite on the other side and on my map I've dubbed it "Cozy Camp." There is no fish in Grant Lake and game is scarce, but it is a beautiful. Brown bears are common in the area, especially at Grant Creek.