Thread: Stock for a model 7 Youth?

Default Stock for a model 7 Youth?

I have a model 7 youth .243 that I bought like 12 or 14 years ago and not only would i like to put a full size stock on it but the wood stock i dont think is holding up to the years very well. For one st the range it was shooting constant groups that measured 1/2" left to right hey thats great for this gun! but the problem is they are in a line and measuring about 2 1/2" up and down so this seems like a problem in my stock. I free floated the barrel and just got it out to take it to fairbanks with me in hopes of taking a wolf and the bolt wont close all the way. A while back I had the same problem and the front action bolt had to be filed down so that it would not hit the bolt. Well now i have to do this again and i know the bolt isn't stretching. so since anyways i would like to get a synthetic stock for it but i have not ben able to fine one for the youth model and cannot get a firm answer weather or not a modle 7 short action stock will fit it. It is a great packing gun and i would love to be able to use it but i need to do something with the stock. any info would be great.

Thanks

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

A remington short action is the same barreled action, weather its in a youth stock, wood, composit or what ever. You can order a composit youth stock from remington if you want to stay with the shorter lenght of pull, or order any aftermarket stock of your choosing for a short action remington.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I'll try it. It would be nice if sombody stocked them but i dont know of anywhere that does. I filed the front action bolt down again now so it will work properly but i know something is not right. I just need it for next week.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Ok rlcofmn, I am looking at my wifes model 7 right now and I count two full threads remaining in the front action retaining hole before the screw would be flush. You are correct in assuminng that the screw is NOT stretching, unless of course you are tighnening it with a 3/4 in ratchet and a bunch of adaptors.............not likely. More likely your problem is the stock its self. My wifes model 7 is the only one I have ever really messed around with and it is similar to a 700 BDL in that it has the bottom metal cartridge release door and it is under the door, near the forward hinge that the screw is located. On hers this distributes the pressure from the screw to the stock thru the entire forward lenght of the floor plate. I suspect that your model may be more like an ADL and does not have this floor plate? If I assume correctly, your forward screw probably has some sort of washer that it bears against and I suspect that it is gradually crushing that washer down into the wood of the stock allowing the screw to extend beyond flush and up into the action its self. Your answer to this is NOT to keep cutting the screw down, but to install a thicker and larger diamiter washer so that the screw can more evenly distribute its force on the stock. Of course without actually seeing what is going on there, I am simply makeing assumtions. If I am correct, I would go to lowes and see what you can find in the way of large area washers (big diamiter but small hole that is the same size as your screw) then find a flush bottom cutting drill bit (foresner I think is what they call these) but definately NOT an old fashon spade bit. Re-drill your hole with the new foresner bit using care not to go too deep, after all, you can always take more out, and by trial and error keep going untill, when the screw is tight you look into the action and can count a couple of empty threads. then you could stain the hole and apply some sort of clear coat to keep moisture from wicking into the stock under the washer and you should be good to go. If you are ready to just give up on the wood stock, check Brownells, they have an HS Precesion for the tidy sum of $350 http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...ES+RIFLE+STOCK
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio