Thread: Today at Jim Creek?

Question Today at Jim Creek?

Did anyone go to Jim Creek today? I had to delay taking my nephew hunting until tomorrow. I'm hoping to take a 6 wheeler across the creek, but this cold weather has me concerned. I'm wondering in the creek is easy enough to cross still, or if there are ice ledges on either side that might make it more difficult. I wouldn't mind getting myself wet, but don't want to put the kid through that.

Any reports on the creek or the hunting would be appreciated. Thanks!

I was out ther yesterday and i would say no. There is too much ice but yet too little ice. I think there is enough to make it hard to get out once you break though and yesterday i could not walk across it so i would doubt there will be enough to support a wheeler yet but maybe. i would say give it a couple more days. I was thinking about taking my snow machine up the river to get up there but that sounds kinda cold if i sink it.

I wasn't able to get out today but I would be interested in going tomorrow. I am not thrilled about taking one of my vehicles across. I will probably take my beater jeep grand but still don't want to watch it float away (or sink). What time are you heading out?

Quote Originally Posted by rlcofmn View Post
    I was out ther yesterday and i would say no. There is too much ice but yet too little ice. I think there is enough to make it hard to get out once you break though and yesterday i could not walk across it so i would doubt there will be enough to support a wheeler yet but maybe. i would say give it a couple more days. I was thinking about taking my snow machine up the river to get up there but that sounds kinda cold if i sink it.
    I guess we posted at the same time... Maybe have to find somwhere else to go...I am gonna go talk to the wife I might take the .22 out to the sutton area in a few hours for predators. Will have to stop by the 24 hour walmart and pick up a trapping license.

Well, bummer. The problem is that I don't have a few more days to spare if I'm going to take my nephew. He is leaving the state for over a month on Wednesday. I sure want to get the kid on his first rabbit or grouse, but past Sutton last week the snow was just way too loud and crunchy. Maybe we'll check out a little area I know by Big Lake.

The ice is probably thick enough to walk across now but then you have a long walk. if i had a good way across i would be hunting there.

While carrying a gun and wearing heavy boots, this 8 year old probably just isn't up to a really long walk. I'll probably take him to the flats, then maybe check out a few spots along the Old Glenn Hwy on the Knik side of the road, and then maybe towards Big Lake? We'll see... If we go, I'll let you all know how we fared.

Back during CHS ski practices in times of no snow such as these we would go grouse hunting with rocks, and almost always scar up a few... Try that north and west of the railroad tracks...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.