Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobie Outback Mirage SUV

Default Hobie Outback Mirage SUV

Does anyone know if it's possible to get one of these kayaks in Alaska? I can't find a dealership so far.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Hobie dealer

I could find no dealer in Alaska. I looked at these kayaks and they are covered up in lots of cool things. I noticed that Hobie was voted best manufacture of water sport products for 2005 season by Canoe & Kayak magazine. very impressive.

It looks like I'll have to get one shipped up to me from Washington. It should probably cost about $100. The "halibut fishing from a kayak" thread got me pumped up on upgrading my kayak and giving it a shot...rather than paying 15-35K for a motor boat. I've wanted one for years, so now I have a reason.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

I looked at a Hobie Outback in person for the first time today and was very impressed. The dealer (sorry, he's in FL) had Hobie, Wliderness and Ocean Kayak. That Mirage system on the Hobie sure is nice.
    I'm going to have to get one before my move up there.

Who did you find that would ship it for $100?

Default Shipping to Alaska

I have found that shipping for almost any canoe or Kayak is around $200.
    if you have a place that ships for less..
    let us know
    I talked to the manager at the sportsman warehouse in Anchorage and he said they can't even do it for much less even when they have a van full of them.
    Max

What brands of "fishing" kayaks does Sprotsmans carry?

I talked with The Packaging Store in Soldotna, and they assumed it would be $100 (about a buck a pound) to ship it up from Tacoma. So I called them in Tacoma and they said they would get back with me with a price, which they haven't done yet. But I'll check next week and update this post.

After extensive research, I have found that it's more like $400 to ship a kayak. I guess the guys I talked to up here didn't have their facts straight.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/default.asp

Default shipping

Check with Pete in Anchorage at the Packageing store he might cut you a deal. Might want to check out www.mokai.com for a small jet boat to go out in.

IMO The guys in Tacoma might be more accurate in price than what Kayakfishingstuff quoted you for shipping because KFS is on the east coast in N.J. about 3,000 miles further than Tacoma. Might be worth more checking into.

I own a Hobie kayak (Adventure Island) and I love mine but the weight capacity is only 350 lbs, (outback is 400) and if I caught something like that 183lb butt that guy caught I would be overloaded unless I dragged it behing the yak.

Hobie makes an "Oasis" which has a 550lb capacity which I was considering but in researching it I found that guys that have them and go out alone have to use quite a bit of ballast each time (since it's a tandem) or the front end sticks way up in the air causing some problems.

If you can do without the Mirage drive some other manufacturers have larger capacity kayaks such as Malibu X-Factor which has a 600 lb capacity and from the reviews I've read it sounds like a great yak for a lot less $$. Does Malibu have a dealer in Alaska? One other thing to consider is the cost to ship a Hobie to a dealer or factory if you have problems with the hull etc as some have.
    Brad S

Default Getting Hobies sent to AK from Hobie

About a month ago I spoke to the folks at kayakfishingstuff, and they would not send me a Mirage--even for $800 due to the likelihood of damage raising their shipping insurance rates. I was desperate and pressed on... Hobie will send a minimum order of 12 kayaks to a "brick and mortar" dealer in AK. A person can not claim to be a dealer out of their home.
    Based on the posts I've seen here and my own eagerness to acquire one I was wondering if we could all place an order through a dealer here with deposits in total so the dealer isn't left hanging out to dry? Can anyone put this together, and where do I go to make my deposit?

Default 1 maybe 2

count me in for 1, maybe 2 of these kayaks if a group got together

I have run into this shipping issue with other products. To get around this others and I have had the item shipped to a freind or family member In the real world then get the item shipped independant to the company.

If you have someone in Wash. State you can then ship if via a barge or air cargo.

Hope this helps.

George

Default Hobie Kayak

Well I drove up from Michigan with my Hobie Outback and have loved every minute of its use here in AK. It floats the Kenai and Kasilof like a dream and now that I live in Kodiak its perfect for an afternoon or evening out in the ocean. I haven't dared using a downrigger but my system of keeping it down 15 to 20 feet is enough for ocean silvers.

As for getting it to AK I would try services like Southern Alaska Forwarding or Coastal Transportation out of Seattle. You would just need to get a booking number and be sure it is prominently displayed when it reaches the docks in Seattle. I'm guessing possible damage would be an issue though. There is not a lot protecting these kayaks when they show up (thin bubble wrap and cardboard over the rudder). I wouldn't mind seeing more in AK so good luck.

Default If enough orders are placed

I can run them thru my place. I am a dealer for Boats, Oars, etc.
    I could order a couple ...
    let me know if you want my help.
    If you guys are so passionate about the boat, then it must be a fine craft, It would behove me to have a couple of them in my fleet.
    I guess I could contact them and become the dealer here if the demand is good.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I emailed Hobie a few weeks ago asking about the criteria to become a dealer in Alaska and they never even wrote me back. The Mokai is looking better and better!

I shipped some kayaks from Bellingham, WA to Valdez last year for about $150 each (I shipped 4). They were shipped directly to the shipper's terminal and picked up there, so it would be more if you wanted them delivered anywhere else.

I'm going to try to get one of the Hobie Kayak Fishing Team guys I know to pop in here and see if he can shed some light.

-Allen

Saw a couple of these out on the water yesterday. I was wondering if there was any progress on a dealer in Alaska.

I was probably one of the hobies you saw yesterday. Took it out for the first time at lowell pt and went over to tonsina creek. I got it from the kayak shed in oregon. it was a 2011 on sale and it piggy backed up here with another guys Kayak so shipping was half. So between the sale price and catching a break on shipping I got it at retail price in effect. And no still no dealers in Alaska. Alaska raft and Kayak will get you one, but ordering direct from the kayak shed will be cheaper. at least cheaper shipping cause Hobie sets the price. All dealerships are the same price in the boat. But shipping and accesory parts are up to the dealer. It drew quite a crowd on the beach. Everyone wanted a closer look at it. I think these are gonna take off up here. I know at least 3 new ones came up here this last month.

Here is a pic. Im in the front (yellow suit) with my outback. My buddy there is in her revolution wich is a slightly longer and narrower version of the outback. We were in some decent slop out there by tonsina creek. 2 footers with a 3 thrown in once in awhile with a good breeze blowing. I never felt unstable or threatened. The only thing scary out there was the sea lions fishing by me!IMG_1157.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast