Thread: ANC ice thickness?

Default ANC ice thickness?

Just checking if anyone has seen anyone out on Sand lake yet? There were several people fishing Fire lake in ER today and I've got the itch to catch a few rainbows and maybe spear a northern or two. The front page of the ADN today said the ice was still thin and to use caution but from what I seen from the road it looked like there was a good 6 to 8 inches next to the guys fishing Fire lake where they had threw the blocks away from their shanties.

i fished sand lake and delong lake today. there is about 4-5 inches of good solid ice. sand was very slow.i didn't cath any and the guy i talked to said he had only cought one 18" dolly. delong lake has lots of little kings, bows, and blackfish. nothing big, but numbers made up for it.

tight lines, hard water!!!

Default Sand Lake

Pretty slow fishing, I was the guy that caught the 18 inch dolly. Also caught 3 others 10-12 inches. Fished a solid 4-5 hours, didn't see a single fish swim by any of the holes I drilled. I will have to try a different part of the lake tomorrow. Ice is only getting thicker and plenty safe to travel on. I think this lake along with many others have been depleted of stocked fish. I am going to have to travel a little farther this year to catch fish I think.

I fished Jewel Lake saturday and caught 4 small rainbows. There was 10 inches of clear ice with 2 inches of crunchy snow on top.

Head towards the valley. If you are just looking for numbers and not size, try the Keepler Bradley lakes. I fished there friday night and could not keep the fish off my hooks. Nothing big, but still very active and fun.

Anchorage ice: Today 12/21/07 there was 13 inches in 2 holes and 14 in a third. The fish were active and the little guys would not let my jig alone long enough for somthing bigger to bite it. I switched to a bigger jig and they kept biting just not getting hooked. Anybody got any bright Ideas that will get the big boys biting? Merry Christmas!!!

Oh yea, don't forget your license when you go out. I got checked this afternoon. Luckily I have mine with me all the time.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Mark

About a foot thick in Big Lake at Burnt Point. As vehicles drove by (a hundred and fifty yards away) I could see water sloshing in the hole. The ice was making lots of noise.

Not a single bite today.