Thread: Proposed State Park Regulations Affecting Winter ATV Use

Default Proposed State Park Regulations Affecting Winter ATV Use

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/asp/curevnts.htm

State Park Regulation Changes Proposed
    The Alaska Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation has announced proposed changes to park regulations affecting:
    • The maximum that may be charged for boat launching would increase, to allow potential launch fee increases in areas where private launch owners cannot compete with the low rates charged at state launches.
    • Changes are proposed to regulations for Chugach State Park, including leash requirements for pets on certain trails, trapping restrictions in some areas of the park to protect public safety, permitting the use of firearms by persons participating in permit drawing hunts, closing the Eklutna Lakeside Trail to off-road vehicles between Dec. 1 and April 1, unless this area is otherwise closed to snowmobiles due to lack of snow, opening some trails to use of bicycles, and allowing the Director to close trails to horse use to protect trails from damage.
    • Within Wood-Tikchik State Park, regulation changes would implement more specific zoning regulations for certain private lands within the park, and specify how limited sportfishing client day permits will be allocated for the Agulukpak River.
    • For the Kenai River Special Management Area, two new “no wake zones” are proposed for small areas in the RM 14.7-15.2 area away from the main channel, and behind islands.
    • Statewide, the definition for snowmobiles is changed to preclude vehicles using “low pressure tires”, to prevent use and damage by off-road vehicles on certain trails managed and groomed for use by snowmobiles.
    For a full copy of the proposed regulations or the public notice, please contact the Department of Natural Resources’ Public Information Center in Anchorage (269-8400) or visit: www.alaskastateparks.org and look under “Special Notices.”

A public hearing is scheduled for Wed. December 19, 2007 from 7:00 – 9:00 pm at the Loussac Library’s Public Conference Room. Oral testimony will be taken during that hearing, or written comments may be sent to:
    Chris Degernes
    Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation
    550 W. 7th., # 1380
    Anchorage, AK 99501
    Or via email: dnr.parkregs@alaska.gov

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

this would be a good one to go to and give testimony. The dnr is activly trying to discourage ATV use on the Eklunta lake trail and this looks to be just one more step to an eventual total closure.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

How much damage actually ocurrs when the ground is completely frozen? Just curious...
    EricL

It's proposed to be an "either/or" situation on Eklutna trail - if the snow conditions are good for snowmachines and the trail is being groomed, it's closed to wheelers, as they can really tear up a groomed trail under some snow conditions; if it's like this kind of winter and there's no snow, or if the area is not open to snowmachines, it stays open for wheelers.

Anybody know just what the rules are regarding atv's on tracks using 'snowmobile trails' once they are groomed?

Default The Way To Go!!!!!!

Guy's this is the way to go! I have been allover with a Polaris 500 ATP on Kimpex Tracks and have Snow machine Tags. You can't stop this thing!!! And you don't leave nasty ruts. Great for going anywhere!!!
    Get out and have some fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxter View Post
    Anybody know just what the rules are regarding atv's on tracks using 'snowmobile trails' once they are groomed?
    As long as you have a snowmachine tag, you have all the same rights as a conventional snowmachine, as far as trail access.

Is anyone up for a ride? I've installed my tracks last month, and am looking for places to go.

Thanks sr12345

I have had a couple of different sets of tracks for my bike. 1st set was Mattracks, very expensive and do not perform well in the snow and very heavy to steer. 2nd set was / is the kimpex Commanders, which I love. The fellows I ride with have a variety of track makes. tatou's (original), Tatou 4s (new this year) TJD gen 3 (also known as cattracks) and TJD Gen X (gen X was new last year but had a design flaw) Gen X redesigned for this year and seem to work very well. The technology has improved so much in the last few years that now it is a Ford vs Chevy kind of thing. Below are a couple of pics, 1st one is the Mattracks and the 2nd is the Kimpex Commanders.

I guess I should start a new thread about tracks instead of hi-jacking this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Missing a ski

One of the things brought up at the meeting was tracked Argo's and wheelers. The new definition of snowmobile requires a ski. Chris D (the contact on their web site) now (at least) knows of the disconnect, she needs to hear from argo and tracked ATV users to make sure they move on it. The end date for comments is 1-4-08 I believe (that's next week).
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.