State Park Regulation Changes Proposed
The Alaska Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation has announced proposed changes to park regulations affecting:
For a full copy of the proposed regulations or the public notice, please contact the Department of Natural Resources’ Public Information Center in Anchorage (269-8400) or visit: www.alaskastateparks.org and look under “Special Notices.”
- The maximum that may be charged for boat launching would increase, to allow potential launch fee increases in areas where private launch owners cannot compete with the low rates charged at state launches.
- Changes are proposed to regulations for Chugach State Park, including leash requirements for pets on certain trails, trapping restrictions in some areas of the park to protect public safety, permitting the use of firearms by persons participating in permit drawing hunts, closing the Eklutna Lakeside Trail to off-road vehicles between Dec. 1 and April 1, unless this area is otherwise closed to snowmobiles due to lack of snow, opening some trails to use of bicycles, and allowing the Director to close trails to horse use to protect trails from damage.
- Within Wood-Tikchik State Park, regulation changes would implement more specific zoning regulations for certain private lands within the park, and specify how limited sportfishing client day permits will be allocated for the Agulukpak River.
- For the Kenai River Special Management Area, two new “no wake zones” are proposed for small areas in the RM 14.7-15.2 area away from the main channel, and behind islands.
- Statewide, the definition for snowmobiles is changed to preclude vehicles using “low pressure tires”, to prevent use and damage by off-road vehicles on certain trails managed and groomed for use by snowmobiles.
A public hearing is scheduled for Wed. December 19, 2007 from 7:00 – 9:00 pm at the Loussac Library’s Public Conference Room. Oral testimony will be taken during that hearing, or written comments may be sent to:
Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation
550 W. 7th., # 1380
Anchorage, AK 99501
Or via email: email@example.com