Thread: Parker-Hale Replacment Stock

Default Parker-Hale Replacment Stock

I am trying to find a replacemnt stock for a Parker-Hale rifle.
    It is a .300 win mag.
    It was bought used in the late 1970's or early 1980's
    I am not sure of the exact model and have not had much luck finding information regarding Parker-Hale rifles on the internet. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good websites that help identify gun models. I am pretty sure I have it narrowed down to a couple models. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Todd

If you're thinking synthetic, I just checked my links to McMillan and Brown, but found no reference to Parker Hale. Outfits like Hogue and Bell & Carlson might have drop-ins, since they probably feature more models. I checked Boyds for wood, and didn't find anything there, either.

After that it's probably going to be a case of inletting one yourself or having it done. Wish I could be more helpful.

PM me for website addy for replacement stock, not allowed to post links to other websites on here.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Most of those P-H's...

were built on Santa Barbara 'commercial' M98 Mausers. If it's one of those, then the sky is the limit for stock options.
    There was a P-H they put together that was sort of a hybrid between an M98 and an '03, and I haven't seen what the bottom of the receiver looks like, but I've also seen at least ten of the Mausers to one of the hybrids, so chances are you've still got the '98 action.
    If possible, try and post a photo....

I will almost guarantee it is a 1200 Super imported by JANA out of Denver Co. if '70's vintage.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Todd,

I'm betting that anything that will fit an Interarms MK X will fit your Parker.

Give Brownells a call @ 1-800-741-0015. They have gun techs on hand from 8:30 AM- 4:30 PM CST. I have had them cross reference some pretty exotic stuff and find a match. Parker Hales are not all that uncommon! I bet they can fix you up!

Default Thanks for your input

Thank you for all of the input. All of the information was very helpful. I spoke w/ a lady at Bell & Carlson and believe I have found what I am looking for.

FYI..
    We believe it is a Parker Hale 1200. Accoding to the Bell & Carlson x-ref it SHOULD fit this model. Lets hope!!

Thanks,

Todd

isn't a PH an exact copy of a 98 mauser? I have one and the bolt from a 98 chilean mauser of 1912 vintage slides right in. You should have a huge choice of aftermarket stocks for a 98 mauser. Good luck.

Default Parker-Hale

Hi all,

Parker-Hale as you know fell on hard times in the 80's. They started making guns under several names and brands in order to make money. Armsport was one. I have a 12 gauge made by Parker-Hale in the 80's under the Armsport name. I needed a part for it a few years ago so I contacted the new owners of parker-hale who indeed help me find what I was looking for. The parker-hale name is still there, and the new parent company if you call them will help. I hope this helps.

Ron

Default Hope this helps...sorry I didn't see it sooner.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to be honest....really only joined because you seemed to be having some problems identifying your Parker Hale rifle and choosing a new stock for it. I'll be pinning a cracked stock soon....just in case I need it one day and ran across your blog. On the off chance you receive this...I'll do my level best to help out.

First off congratulations. Parker Hales are well known in Canada and other commonwealth countries and I can tell you from personal experience that your rifle would have fetched at least 4-6 hundred in Canada regardless of a cracked stock. Parker Hales sold for Weatherby like prices when they were in production and are generally very very accurate for off the shelf sporters. Mine outshoots all of my friends rifles in the same caliber. I have one in 30-06 that produces 1/2 MOA accuracy out to 200 meters....so overlapped holes at just over 200 yards. ..which is the practical shooting range where I hunt these days. The PH's we see now as sporters are or were originally built using war captured surplus large ring mauser 98 actions and "peened" or hammer forged barrels.. Previous to this the company produced a number of military arms including the Lee Enfield 303 British which was the standard rifle for British and commonwealth troops for something like 75 years. Many of those are still being used by hunters with great success to this day. They also produced sniper rifles for several commonwealth countries including Canada under the Midland Parker Hale name. In Canada those rifles were chambered in 308 Winny and were in service from the 1960s until a few years ago....and I can tell you (again from personal experience)...we loved them. Parker Hale entered into business with an American firm in an attempt to capture a larger market and soon found itself involved in litigation...losing money and producing inferior weapons. Eventually the company simply folded although it's remnants still produce air rifles in the UK.

The 1st thing to do is to try to ID the model of your rifle. This shouldn't be too hard since the product line was somewhat limited.
    A fairly detailed description or photos will be needed to assist with that unless...it has a detachable box magazine. If it does then you have a model 1200 Super-Clip.....not to be confused with the super safari or the model 1100. If the stock has been pinned...it is a fairly late model and if it has a gold trigger...it was a higher grade rifle that probably had some pretty nice wood at one time.

Now on to the stock. The one thing that Parker Hale was infamous for...was their stocks. They just seem to be too thin. In Alberta where I live the air is pretty dry especially in winter and I think that may have contributed to mine splitting from the recoil lug to the tang....just like so many others. The company finally started to pin their stocks which worked well but...too late for you and I by the looks of things.... I replaced mine with a Boyds laminate for a Mauser 98 action. The stock was only 90% so needed some cutting and finishing but at something like $110 Cdn...delivered to my door...the butchers bill wasn't too bad in the end. I would suggest that keeping just a bit of end pressure between the stock and the barrel will give you better accuracy (PH's seem to like that) but...you might get away with floating the barrel without losing too much precision. You will need to make sure to note whether or not you have a drop plate, detachable mag or blind floor when ordering. Anyway...I liked the Boyds so much I ended up getting another for my 300 Weatherby Vanguard. They have all the advantages of composite but still have the warm feel that comes with wood....and they are also easy on the eyes. I noticed a significant reduction in re-coil with both rifles. The recoil pads nothing special but the Boyds stocks do seem to distribute recoil differently. (I wish I could find one for my 375 H&H...) Oh! They can make you a lefty if you need it and they sell Mauser triggers.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/default.asp
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/v/vspf...ence7-9-10.pdf

Parts....good luck there. You might have better luck in the states but I couldn't import any from south of the line and....Parker Hale enthusiasts in Canada make em pretty hard to find...but not impossible. The Brits seem to prefer short action calibers for target shooting and hunting their tiny little deer so no luck there. In the end, I simply searched for 3 years until I could find another rifle at a decent price and bought that. To be honest...I hope that I don't have to break either one down...they both shoot so well.

If you see this and still need a hand finding out about your rifle or obtaining parts etc...drop me a line and I will be glad to help as much as I can. Otherwise, hope it worked out for you cause they can be real gems.

Regards.

Lorry

Parker Hale imported gun from different makers and put their name on them.I believe its the gunsmithing section there is a list for sale and he has a bunch of Parker Hale and Kimber stocks for sale.

Found it,should find a stock here
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Sel...px?User=867357
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you