Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 A antlerless ??

Default 20 A antlerless ??

Am I the only one that NEEDS a freezer full of moose meat? I hope not cause that will make it realy hard to find someone with RM764 experiance to join up with for a moose hunt. I am working on setting up a four/ten schedule with work and will be able to take one extra day off. I am hoping to take off about 5 pm after work from anchorage area drive north and set up camp then start hunting early the next morning with three full days and a morning to try and connect. I have never hunted the RM764 before and would like a partner who is familliar with the hunt and has a freezer as empty as mine. I would be willing to split meat in the event that only one moose is taken. I have a reliable crewcab pickup with a hard toneau for secure gear storage. I also will have a two place sled trailer and a Jet-sled to tow behind my snowmachine. If someone would be interested in partenering up and has their own sled let me know. If I can't fid a partner then I will probably go on my own or try to smooth talk the wife into being my wing-man (woman). Also would apreciate any information regarding this hunt.

When are you planning on going up? I filled my tag this year but may be interested in going on another hunt and help out with it. I have a snowmoble and would not enjoy another hunt even though i cant pull the trigger. Unless its 40 below then your on your own!

Default Succeeded

My buddy just got back from just north of Delta and was there for an hour and a half before dropping a cow. The river is still running due to the oddly high temps but most folks don't head out there until January for their hunts. Overflow can be very dangerous so don't become a statistic and err on the side of caution if you go; when in doubt, don't try it out.

Good luck.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

That must have looked weird hunting out of a boat in November!

Lujon- What 4 days of the week are you looking at taking off? Which zone are you going to hunt?

The plans are just getting put together the boss is working on my new schedule at work and I will have either friday or monday off so I will head out thursday about 5pm and hunt fri/sat/sun and maybe monday morning while only taking 1 day off. I have been scouring the internet for a map of the zones but have not had any luck. I am going to online register for the hunt on monday because I don't have a printer at home, is there an online map downloadable once you register? Thanks for the responses about partners right now I am talking to a family member who could realy use the meat and is interested in going I should know this week if he is in. He has never hunted that area either but has 5 kids to feed so he has first dibs. If anyone has a map or link please post it or email it to me at lujonfreeman @ Hotmail.com (minus the spaces of course) I will be headed up either late dec (around holidays) or early jan depending on schedules. Thanks everyone!

Default Try this link for a map.

Not sure what exactly you are looking for but this may help. Just scroll to the bottom and look for RM764. Then you can download the map. Hope this helps.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/gis/i...nts&speccode=M

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Not sure what exactly you are looking for but this may help. Just scroll to the bottom and look for RM764. Then you can download the map. Hope this helps.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/gis/i...nts&speccode=M
    Apparently you ARE sure cause that is exactly what i was looking for. I searched that site about a dozen times but didn't see that page. Thanks! I am limited on time and will be hunting from snowmachines so zone 5 looks the most promising and I am sure it is also the most heavily hunted. I don't have an IBEP cert or a bow so 3 and 7 are out. I understand that zone 2 just closed leaving 5 and 4. Zone 4 looks impossible on a sled so I guess I will be one of the many chasing them around in 5. Does any one know what mile post I can park to get in there? I assume that the Tanana will freeze at some point. Don't really know and I am sorry for rambling just excited and could really use the meat!

You've got everything backwards! You need to call the hotline. Zones 2,3,4,5, and 7 were all open as of the first. If the Tanana is frozen zones 2 and 5 are easy to get to. If not then take the rex trail into zone 4. Feel free to pm me if you want more detailed info.

Not sure I'd trust the Tanana just yet with the warmer than normal temps we've had in the Interior. Take the Rex and hunt 2, 4 and 5. Remember that 4 is closed to motorized vehicles.

Default 20 A hunt

Lujon, I am heading to the Rex Trail wed am (first time for me too but my freezer is also empty) we are planning on spending several days back there in area 2 and 4. There will be 2 of us going on wed. I called the lodge there at mile 280 and all the information I am getting agrees that there is very little snow in the area and 4 wheelers are still being used. They also keep telling me that the rivers are frozen but there is a little overflow that hasn't been a problem. Also, I called Fai fish and game to confirm what I found in the regs about motorized vehicles..
    Restrictions: Closed to the use of any motorized vehicle, except aircraft, for big game hunting, including the transportation of big game hunters, their hunting gear, or parts of big game from August 1 through September 30.

So, use of snowmachine or wheeler is ok now. Hope this helps...

I don't have a wheeler so I will probably have to wait till the snow gets a bit deeper. If you could take some pics or post a report when you get back! I am looking at heading up around the end of the month or early Jan. For those of you that have been up there is it practical to plan on base camping at my vehicle? I would realy prefer not to purchase a 4 season tent or wall tent! I figure that I can do well with the hard toneau and a BIG tarp on the back of my truck provided it is reasonable to use it as a base camp. If not maybe there is someone I can rent a wall tent and heater from... I allready have a -15 mountaineering sleeping bag and will probably add a fleece bag liner for a little extra warmth. I appreciate all the help so far you are all making this MUCH easier to plan!

What is the deal with the ft wainwright and ft greely military reservations? Can that area be hunted or is there special requirements? This is the kind of stuff that makes hunting up here a bit of a pain! Waht did people do before the ODD?

Lujon, there are rooms available at Rochesters Lodge you could stay there instead of freezing outside..you might give them a call. They are located at mile 280 on the Parks and thats where the trail starts as well.

Default Main Gate

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    What is the deal with the ft wainwright and ft greely military reservations? Can that area be hunted or is there special requirements? This is the kind of stuff that makes hunting up here a bit of a pain! Waht did people do before the ODD?
    You have to register at the main gate at Wainwright, turn right at the circle and right into the parking lot, visitors center. Take in your drivers license, car insurance, hunting license and hunter ed. card. It is a simple process and you will be given a map, rules and a card. You are supposed to call in on a phone number before you hunt any area. When you call in they tell you if training is going on and what areas are closed. You only have to register once every 2 years. BUT, every time you go on post you need a vehicle pass.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Question before ODD...?

people made phone calls, talked to bio's, read harvest reports, looked up successful hunters, checked satellite weather maps ....
    some still do... and many of the folks who still do are willing to share their knowledge here...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

well I don't have a hunter ed card... I was looking at crossing the tanana from the richardson hwy to access zones 5 and 2. Looks doable on the map but may be less so in person. I see on the map that most of zone 2 is the wainwright reserve I can't imagine driving all the way to fairbanks for a pass! I was thinking about hunting near the little delta river any thoughts on this area?

The Tanana wasn't reliably crossable at Little Delta until late Jan/early Feb last year. It's been alot warmer this year, so although I haven't checked it out yet, I wouldn't count on that area being usable this month.

Yellowknife

I know several people that have crossed the Tanana already to put in their traps. I've heard of people are bringing out Moose. So that zone may close soon. Good luck, the Rex is pretty icy and rough. Its a long way in from Rochchesters to where you will find Moose. I did not find any two weeks ago till I got back past Goldking. That's a long way. Will take all the daylite hours to get there from the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    I know several people that have crossed the Tanana already to put in their traps. I've heard of people are bringing out Moose. So that zone may close soon. Good luck, the Rex is pretty icy and rough. Its a long way in from Rochchesters to where you will find Moose. I did not find any two weeks ago till I got back past Goldking. That's a long way. Will take all the daylite hours to get there from the highway.
    That is good news about the tanana crossing! I will pickup some rope and keep it handy for the crossing. I will have a tough decision to make as I have a immaculate '96 two up liquid cooled AC couger that may be better suited for running trails and a 04 mountain cat 800 with tons of track for getting off of the beaten path. The couger gets better milage and is allready set up for pulling a sled and has reverse. ...
    If the tanana it is unpassable then we will just head up to FBX gas up and run on around to the rex. Is there a pull off for parking near the little delta river?
    Thanks again
    LuJon

If you want to hunt on any Army land, you must have completed Hunters Ed.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast