Thread: 28 ga shotgun

Default 28 ga shotgun

I have come across a 28 ga in nice condition. I am looking for a good upland gun, grouse, ptarmigan. I know nothing about a 28 ga. Tell me about 28 ga shotguns.

The BEGINNING of the road!

Thumbs up I've got one

I have a single shot 28 and it is a nice little gun for going after grouse and hares. I haven't tried buying ammo up here; it was a little more expensive, but not anything to discount. If you are asking about the size itself; 28 is between a 20 ga and a 410. Good gauge if you ask me.

My question is - is this a good ga for wing shooting grouse and ptermigans

Soldotna, ALASKA since '78

Smaller pattern, less power, less shot load. For wing shooting, you won't have as much range and your aim must be very good. If you look to the trap range, you'll see that the experts only break out the 28 when they are looking for a real challenging game. So you must be a crack shot and pretty close to use a 28 in the field.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

If you are good with a shotgun than it should be enough. I have had several, and hunted dove quail ducks and more with mine. True you do not has as much range with it, but it also doesen't mess up the meat as bad either. It is a great ga, and if you are a good shot with a shotgun then go for it.

Default 28 ga

Not what I wanted to here. I would asume that using a little tighter chokes might help with the range, of course not the accuracy.

I've got Ruger Red Labels in 28 and 20, same style of stock in both. Within 30 yards or so, you won't be able to tell the difference in pattern and kill. Standard load is 3/4-oz of shot. Low base 20 is 7/8-oz, so only 1/8-oz difference. Yet the 28 ga seems to weigh about a pound less and is very much faster to swing and point. In pure handling terms it's a much better wingshooting gun for upland birds, simply because it's easier to hit fast with.

I've used mine for about 8 years now, if memory is right, sometimes moving back and forth between it and the 20 ga RRR.. I've killed as many pheasants with it as the guys shooting 12's when it went south with me, and more quail than most who were using 20's.

Walking our favorite creek bottom for pheasants, I always shot bismuth because we have ducks in there, too. Never tried a duck beyond about 25 yards, but it folded mallards like it was a big gun. Popped a couple of honkers with it one memorable day, but less of a big deal than it sounds. They got up one at a time at about 10 yards and I just patterned their heads. Goose for dinner and some real startled hunting pards!

We climb quite a ways for rock ptarmigan, and I can carry at least two boxes of shells for every one that a guy shooting a 12 has to lug. Plus the RRR weighs about 3 pounds less than an average 12 ga pump.

I've also got a 410 SxS double. Now there's an expert's gun. Out to 20 yards or so it's a dandy gun with 2 1/2" #7 1/2's, but you better be on with that little 1/2-oz shot charge. My gun HATES the 3" shells, patterning much worse than the shorter ones and giving you less effective range than the short ones. While it has taken it's share of ptarmigan and snowshoe hares over the years, I'd never even consider using it for pheasants, or probably even quail. The range is just too short and the pattern density falls too low before the pattern gets very big at all.

I'd jump on that 28 in your shoes, especially if it has interchangable chokes. Unless the range really stretches to the point that you'd be stuffing 3" shells in a 20 or switching to a 12, you won't give up anything in effective range for the pounds you shave off the gun. And if you really need a little extra range, Winchester loads (or is it loaded?) 1-oz. ammo. That really stretches the range more than you would think an added 1/4-ounce should. But for 95% of the upland wingshooting I've done and the ranges involved, it's simply not needed.

The biggest hassle with a 28 is prying it out of your buddy's hands so you get a turn shooting it too!!!!!! Once anyone handles and shoots one, they're going to be looking pretty hard for their own.

The gun I am looking at is a SKS o/u and man it looks brand new. They are asking $995 but I think I can get it for less than $900. I do not have a lot of experience wing shooting, I have entered some turkey shoots with a Rem 1100 12 ga I have had for 30 years and I won ever one I entered, so I quest I am a ok shot.

That's a dandy shotgun, if it's the same model my bud has (I don't remember which his is). If I recall his is a wee bit heavier than my Ruger, but his has 28" barrels while mine has 26". Load that baby up with 3/4-oz of #7 1/2's and you've got a prime ptarmigan and grouse gun. If you know anyone with beagles, it's also a dandy snowshoe hare gun. For those I'd move up to #6 shot.

Thanks for the info. I am retired ,But my wife started buying kids so I have a 8 year old girl that just loves hunting and is tougher than me when it come to the outside elements. Next year if she cintinues to have the interest I hope to get into a good pointing dog (Brithany) for the both of us to work with and expand our fun. Any way thanksm for the help.

Now I'm jealous! Our daughter blessed us with a granddaughter 8 years ago, but she's too far away right now to be a hunting pard just yet. But does she ever love dogs. You're in for a lot of joy with those two.

Default 28 gauge

Time spent reading this classic work will answer just about all of your questions.

I need to correct something someone wrote on here. The .28 gauge has the same pattern and "power" as it's .20 and .12 gauge counterparts, but does have less pellets. The main difference is in the density of the shot string. The only gauge that actually throws a smaller pattern is the .410, and that is out of necessity because it has so few pellets.

If you look at the ballistics, you will find the .28 is as effective as the .20 at reasonable ranges, and will make a dandy grouse/ptarmigan gun. It has less recoil and you can carry many more shells in the field with you. I have a .28 gauge Browning Citori, and it is the main gun I go to, unless I am going after ducks, geese or cranes.

I used to do a lot of skeet shooting and shot .12, .28 and .410. I didn't shoot the .20 because you can do just as well with a .28, even shooting it in the .20 gauge class. I did that a lot.

Excellent gun. You won't be disappointed for what you are talking about.
    Last edited by Hawken54; 12-01-2007 at 09:33. Reason: Fat fingered the keyboard.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

S.E. AK

The only drawback of the 28ga is the price of the ammo.

On the plus side of the ammo situation, you can often find stores with "overstocks" of 28 gauge shells. In the last year I've bought three cases and a bunch of loose boxes from stores that were kind of sick of looking at their backstock and willing to dicker to thin it a bit. The case of Federal I just bought cost me the same as the discount 12's they also had on sale, then they threw in a case discount!