Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those grizzlies aren't hibernating quite yet

Default Those grizzlies aren't hibernating quite yet

Juneau hunter survives grizzly attack

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) -- A Juneau doctor has asked to be released from the hospital, hours after being attacked by a grizzly while deer hunting.
    Officials at Bartlett Regional Hospital say John Raster had surgery for a hand injury and was to be released Friday afternoon.
    Raster was part of a deer party hunting about 28 miles south of Juneau.
    He was taking photos when the bear came out of the woods and attacked him.
    He had time to shoot once with his pistol before being attacked.
    KINY-AM reports the bear dragged Raster into the water and then left.
    Alaska State Troopers say the fate was the bear was unknown.
    What do they say about filing off the front sight of your handgun....

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Caliber?

Wonder what he was using, or if he hit fir.

Default tree or hair

Fir would be trees, Fur would be hair. I hope he hit the former. A mad tree is easier to deal with than a wounded bear.

"A mad tree is easier to deal with than a wounded bear."

Aint that the truth. Makes me wonder if there were any homes in the vicinity. Been there. Done that. Don't recommend it.

Default Oops!

Boy do I hope my students don't see that one...and I agree, trees are usually much easier to deal with after being shot, or shot at.

Default only once

I killed a tree. Quite by accident I might add. We were hunting boar in TN, a guy hit one and it took off. When it came past me I did the best I could to lead it. I touched off just as he went behind a really nice tree of some unknown sort. Poor tree did not stand a chance.

We heat with wood. I have killed many trees and I can assure you a wounded tree is nothing to be trifled with!

The attack happened on Admiralty Island in Seymour Canal near Windfall Harbour...

Popular hunting area for those that can make it in there.....I know when I flew into Hasselborg Lake in late August we flew over Windfall harbour, and there and other creeks on the way in counted over 20 bears easy..

Know of some other people who have had to shoot beras for DLP down there as well...

Gotta love A. Island

Default Its time for bed

I am flying down to Sitka next week to plug a few deer and hopefully a bear. Has there been alot of activity in the area?
    Gunup1

Havent really heard about much on A. Island till this....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer331 View Post
    What do they say about filing off the front sight of your handgun....
    Um.. don't do it? You'll have nothing to aim with.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default However...

Aiming isn't all that important when a bear is looking to put your pistol where it doesn't belong.

Talking Tree killers

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I killed a tree. Quite by accident I might add. We were hunting boar in TN, a guy hit one and it took off. When it came past me I did the best I could to lead it. I touched off just as he went behind a really nice tree of some unknown sort. Poor tree did not stand a chance.
    You tree killers irk me to no end. One of these days, you're gonna kill a tree with a tree hugger chained to it...then give us hunters a black eye and then they'll shut down hunting where there's a possibility of running into trees. Where we gonna hunt then? Especially for moose.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Turns out the guy had a rifle, shot once, and missed the bear...

Just curious..do the brown bears in S.E. actually hibernate? I know that there are places on the south end of Kodiak where they may only go to sleep for foul weather periods of time.

I know during the winter we usually dont run into any sign except every once in a blue moon.....but it does happen...

Default hibernation

Actually no bears in any part of the world truly hibernate. If you dont believe me crawl into ones den, and kick it. An animal that hibernates will stay asleep but a bear will wake right up, and if you give em a few minutes to fully wake he will likely kick you back but much harder, and with blood, and death and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    Actually no bears in any part of the world truly hibernate. If you dont believe me crawl into ones den, and kick it. An animal that hibernates will stay asleep but a bear will wake right up, and if you give em a few minutes to fully wake he will likely kick you back but much harder, and with blood, and death and all that.

You mean you cant crawl in there and snuggle up with em?

DARNIT :P

There goes my winter goal....

Default speaking of tree killing

Speaking of tree killing, I was reading all of these stories people sent in to a magazine years ago, there was a story about a guy who had his own hunting show. He is set up in his tree stand with his camera guy, and a big buck comes in. He pulls back on his bow and looses an arrow strait towards the deer. After the shot, he is whooping and hollering, and saying what a great shot he made on that deer. When he climbed down from the tree stand, he decided to explain to everybody where he hit the deer. As he is giving an anatomy lesson, the camera man focuses on the arrow stuck in a tree about 3 feet above his head, behind him. He said the camera man never let him hear the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Just curious..do the brown bears in S.E. actually hibernate? I know that there are places on the south end of Kodiak where they may only go to sleep for foul weather periods of time.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure a few years ago a bunch of bears in the Juneau area were tagged with radio collars and most of them stayed in one place for an extended period during the winter, as in in their dens. Sows especially...

This year we've had a really warm fall so the bears took a while to go to sleep, I heard trees were budding in Hoonah last week
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast