Thread: Rideable Trails??? HELP

Default Rideable Trails??? HELP

Well, after buying my new bike this summer, I haven't really put as many hours on her as i would have liked, so here's my dilemna....Where to ride tomorrow??? I realize this is kinda short notice, but if anybody catched this post, and has some info on a good trail that is relatively snow free and doable on a wheeler, it would be appreciated. Looking for somwhere within a couple hours drive of anchorage, any direction...thanks in advance.
    J

Very close and always a fun ride, Bird Creek is still rideable. At least the last time I was there, there was very little snow.
    EricL

If you head North, there is too much snow at Boulder creek. We ended up going back south to Permanente and had no problems. The trail is snow covered, but it is hard packed and not deep at all. I would imagine King River would be about the same (Eska falls too probably).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

It's very rare when Knik is not ridable on a bike or atv. I've seen people in the dead of winter with dirt bikes up to Friday Creek.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

what EricL said! Was down at Bird Creek last Sunday, had to bust some ice in the puddles, and although that sounds easy, it can actually be rather hairy when the ice is thick enough to support the front half of a quad but not the whole machine and you have 12 - 18 inches of water under the ice, but that being said, you will likely have the trail system to yourself as there just arent many riders out this time of year. Of course it has cooled down some, so perhaps they are frozen a bit better now. go left, left, right, right and right again and then hike down to the falls.......very cool. Be sure to go a packing as the bears are not denned up yet down there! Hmmmmmm perhaps I will head down myself..... send me a PM if you want to go........and if you arnt one of those crazy early rizer kind of people, after all, sat is the only day I get to sleep in! Be sure to leave you cell number..........no promises, bit a good chance I would be up for a ride.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Oh, one more thing as your post didnt really say what kind of machine you have, but motorcycles are not allowed at Bird Creek.................but ATV's are A-OK
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

You cant cross jim creek right now there is about a inch of ice on it and i dont think i would try to cross with a wheeler right now when your break throught it may be deep and hard to get out. i tried to rabbit hut today but could not make it past there.

Default Boulder/King River conditions

AK Mud,

Planning a trip up to Puritan/Boulder creek tomorrow....you say there's too much snow? If anyone knows the trail conditions of this area or King's River I would appreciate the word...

Boulder creek had just over a foot of snow and the trail had been broken by a few snowmachines is all. It was hard to stay on top and there is a layer of ice underneath. Snowmachines would be fine if you stayed on the trail. Some of the hills would really prove a challenge.

Permanente was fine and King river should be as well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Thanks

AK Mud...thanks, appreciate the tip...will hit Kings River....