Thread: Planning 08 Fishing Trip

Default Planning 08 Fishing Trip

Hello all, I am new to this forum. This is a very informative forum. Thanks
    After fly fishing the Rocky Mountains for many years, my wife and I are ready to do Alaska. Our first trip has to be booked tonight and need a little advice please. I want to miss part of the crowds so Augest 19 thru September 09, 08 are what we are thinking. The majority of the King's are gone, but the fall Rainbow and Silver Salmon should be coming on. We would like to rent cabin's (if we can find them) at these places. Talkeetna or a little southward, Glenallen and Sterling or Soldotna areas. Maybe a week at two of the best fishing places and 4 or 5 days at the other. Should I bump the trip back one week for better timing for Rainbow"s? Do my fishing locations sound reasonable? Can I find decent cabin's or lodging at a half reasonable price? Sorry for the many questions. Fishing new areas can be hit and miss, so any advice would be great. Thanks in advance. George Riddel (Skip)

Default well

Your ideas all sound good but are far apart. I don't know why (no offense to folks who live there) you'd want to stay at Glenallen but hey if you want to it has an unreal view of St. Elias and other big mountains (actually one of the best views I've ever seen up here on a clear day)
    YOur timing will miss most of the crowds, but lots of salmon too. Not a bad time to fish, but depends on what you are expecting. Silver may or may not be in depending on where you go. The crowding is mainly only an issue on the Kenai Penn, and not really many other places. If you were fishing north of anchorage there a a TON of places to fish trout. or grayling.
    Where you thinking the Gulkana when you said Glenallen? That would make sense even though I have never fished there.
    Cabins shouldn't be a problem if that is the time you are going to fish. Someone will say it so I will. I hear it is very nice to rent a moterhome as then your "cabin" can move to new fishing spots.
    Anyway keep asking questions and keept this thread fresh and you'll get lots of info!
    Good luck

Default Decent Time Frame

If your fishing the Gulkana for Bows that time of year will work well as well as hitting the some Sockeye fishing a Side trip to Valdez might prove interesting for Silvers as well. The Upper G is much better then the lower G for Bows if your considering just Bow fishing.

Timing is also good for the Kenai Area Trout and Dolly.

Mt Creek and Willow for the Silvers start the last week of July however there are some systems along the orad that will prove worth while fishing unless we have another water year like this year Yikes!

Just a thought

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Default Planning 08 Fishing Trip

Thanks for the replies. We can visit any time of the summer or fall and plan on staying 3 weeks. Timing I know is important and can change from year to year. Rainbow's, Silver Salmon, and Grayling are the fish of choice this trip. The area of interest is the Matanuska Valley-Susitna River, Talkeetna River and ect. The Copper River/Wrangell Mountains area which includes the Gulkana, Klutina, and ect. The Kenai Peninsula around Sterling or Soldotna. Is the timing of August 19-Sept. 9 OK. Does the time need to be moved forward or backward? Is this too much ground to cover in 3 weeks? Replies are appreciated. Thanks

shoot me a PM
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Sounds like you've been receiving some great info. If you are seriously thinking of coming up to the Upper Susitna / Talkeetna area, send me a PM. I'd be happy to fill you in on some activities, fishing conditions, etc.. for that time of year! The fishing for Rainbows will be good and this last year, the silvers were hitting hard, which is a little later than normal, but enjoyed just the same. I offer a trip down the Talkeetna that can get you into all of those species. Best of luck to you.

I know you and your wife are stream fisherpeople....lol, but you might want to consider taking a day out on the salt. The fishing can be amazing and you get a chance to see all kinds of things you could never see from land. Unless you guys have a real problem with seasickness, you should definely consider a saltwater trip. It can be amazing. Once you decide on your locations, do some research on local ports and what they have to offer.

Default Planning an 08 Fishing Trip

Thanks nbajack70. Your advise is well taken. We much rather have a fishing pole in our hand than take a structured scenic tourist cruise to take in the awesome scenery. Yes that is a must do trip. Thanks! Stream fishing with fly rod is #1. But we will adapt to conditions like using a spinning rod. I really haven't used one in years in cold water. Can someone recommend a spinning rod and reel like what pound line, how long a rod, or maybe a brand and model for Silvers? Thanks to all. Take Care

Default One Fishing stop

You could always stop and give the Klutina a go for some fast running cloudy water Copper river Reds. This is just south of Glennallen and there is a princess lodge at the top of the hill that overlooks the river. Should still be some fish running

I used my 9wt this year with just the backing and a bottom bouncer with pencil lead and a three foot leader and just some yarn on a hook and wammo Fish on.

I agree the Klutina is a great stream to fish, I caught a few Reds and a King over 30lbs there last summer. The only draw back is it is a distance from Anchorage but if you plan to go to Valdez it is a good stop off on the way.
    For the best all around fishing I like the Kenai Peninsula, you can fish for all different kinds of salmon and the Halibut fishing is the best.

As for fishing gear, I have used both spinning and fly gear. They both have there good and bad points. Spinning reels are better for the bigger fish and trolling for silvers out of a boat, but if you use it for flipping for salmon the line gets tangled in the reel handle and I have lost a lot of sockeye when that happens. I like a fly rod the best, most of the time you are flipping your line and you don't have the problem with the line getting caight in the reel handle. As for line I use 20-25 lb mono for Sockeye, Coho and Pinks, and if you fish for Kings I reccomend using a guide and use their gear.

Check out this web site, a lot of good information

alaskafishingsuccess.com

Default Planning for an 08 Fishing Trip

Thanks for the replies Fishin Fireman and FLFisherman. I'll be there for 3 weeks and tentatively will fish the Mat-Su to Talkeetna area about a week and need to find a guide for a day. Then to Denali and Fairbanks. Head south to Glenallen or Copper Center for a week and get a guide. The Klutina River looks good. Man, a Copper river Rainbow would be nice. On to Valdez, then all the way back to Anchorage to the Kenai. Stay in Sterling or Soldotna. Get a wade guide and a float trip. Is this too many miles for 3 weeks? I will get an RV (I hate to pack the house up to go fishing, but it will be more versitile) and rent a cabin in the Kenai. It may be better to be more mobile there to. A Halibut trip worked in also would be good. Shoot, I'm coming the next year to and may have to cut some things out. Flippin for reds sounds good, but my Sage Z-Axis may disown me. LOL. I'll have to build a rod for that. Fixing to order some flies for Silvers, Bow's, Char and Grayling. Is it just me or what, I can have hundreds of flies, but not the right one? Any input on the trip or guide infromation would be highly appreciated. Take Care

Default Keep

Keep a rod hand on the trip from Fairbanks to Valdez. South of Delta along the Richardson there are quite a few ponds reachable from the roadway that are stocked. It breaks up the trip to get out and stretch the feet.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

If you are going to be in the kenai area and book a halabut trip out of deep creek or the anchor river area i would defenitly bring your fly rods and fish deep creek and the anchor river. maby spend a few days there.
    they have a great silver run and the stealhead run is starting at that time.
    they are both small clear water streams and are a great place to flyfish.
    They also have a good campgrond right on the river at both places

Default Fishing

Thanks Daveinthebush for the tip. We'll be looking out for those ponds. Thanks Matsuthunder. Deep Creek and Anchor River sounds like my kind of rivers. I can visualize silver on fly rod. Nice! Will fishing out of a centrally located town on the Kenai work to cover the peninsula or would it be better to keep an RV to fish the peninsula? Thanks Take Care

I did my first trip last year and bothered the heck out of these poor people for 8 months researching. I already see many of the same names that helped me plan a fantastic trip.

Just a warning. Will start bothering you all again next month as we start planning our 09 trip back that way.

2PawsRiver, Sounds like you had a fantastic first trip thru the help of good people on this forum. Their time to type in a reply or PM is very very helpful (maybe more than they think) and appreciated. If I can help them on information on fishing and hunting Montana, Colorado and Texas big black bass and trophy Whitetail the pleasure will be mine. Good luck on your second trip. Take Care