Thread: unit 16B Fall Brown Bear

Default unit 16B Fall Brown Bear

With this area being a two bear area, what are the xpecations of hunting in this area and getting atleast a 8 foot Bear. Has anyone had any experience in this area or have heard of the potential of taking a decent bear in this area.

ANy further advise or help in searching out an outfit in this unit.

they take good bears over there, nine footers happen ever year, i'd say 10 footers are more ran than most other coastal areas. 8' will probably happen if you wait long enough, what you'll more than likely see is a pile of newly legals(3-4) year olds so you'll have to weed thru the bears to find ones worth shooting as it is with any bear hunt.
    never expect 8+ foot bears running everywhere.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Exactly

Hunted brownies a little over there and shot some good bears, but it wouldn't be my first choice if I just had to have a 10 footer though they are there. I have personally done well there but there are alot of smaller ones around. It's pretty thick and not conducive to spot and stalk in alot of it, so do plenty of pre-hunt planning. You will be fine if you do your research. If you don't mind a seven footer you will be even better.

Default 16b - Thick

I have hunted over there 2 times...can you say THICK?!?! I have never seen such thick alders. If I were you, go to the penninsula...unit 9. 16B is extremely difficult to hunt.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Go to July Creek, Base of Yentna Glacier, headwaters of Nickosina Creek, headwaters of Kichatna Creek, all have good bears and little brush to contend with. Lots of spot and stalk territory in any of these locations. 16B is one of the few spots where Brown and Black Bears are about equal in numbers and usually you can shoot some of each on a single outing. Lots of Wolves as well. Spring is always more productive and way easier to hunt.

Default Talk to me-

Hi Steve,

I know something about that area, and would be happy to discuss it with you. If you're looking for a guided hunt I can hook you up with a good guide licensed for the area. He's been there for many years and knows it well. Send me a private message and let's talk!

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Theres a guy named Charlie, last I heard he worked for Joe Schlusler, he's seriously one of the best guides I have ever met... Ask for him if you are looking for a guide.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Plenty there

I shot an 8-footer in May 2006 over there. Lots of sign but he was the only one I seen. Many blackies though, many were in the 6 foot class.
    The bear I shot was on the beach so I did not contend with the brush much.

Also have flown it several times and always see bears.

I would do-it-yourself.

-Jay-

Has anyone ever taken their boat across the inlet or have all of you flown in?

I understand there is a bad rip current in the middle, extreme tides, mud flats, etc. Just curious if anyone has driven across and hunted or does actually drive their boat across and hunt?

Default take a plane

You'll HAVE to find one on the beach if you boat over. All the spot and stalk country is several days walk from the beach. 99% of the stuff you'll reach with a boat is THICK. Yes there are a couple small places but the hunting is much better in the high country. Fly.

Default boating over

my hunting partner from this fall hunt has taken his boat over there this past spring. he stayed for 9 days. sounded like a lot of hassel with the major tide difference on the shallow flats. on high tide though they would run 20 miles up big river I believe. they never saw one. he seen lots of fresh sign but I think he moved to much and moved camp to much. keep your scent in one place if you camp on the beach. he left from homer and had a bigger boat go with him and drop off some of his gear, he packs heavy trust me, I had to split the costs of our fly in hunt this fall. half the stuff we never un packed. good luck. it has my attention but not for atleast another year. Mark on here from wiggys took a nice 9'er last spring I think it was. Stop in at his shop. it is hanging in a rug on the wall. very huge. huge head 27" if I recall. he gave me some good tips plus take a bear fence he rents. well worth it.

Default Thick, Thick Thick

I know it has been said, but did they say thick.
    From far away.

A closer look!!!!!

Take a plane, leave the boat home. While I was there a storm came that would have destroyed most boats. Plus crazy tidal flats.

Go in the spring as the beach is really about all you can hunt. Some exceptions apply. Stay at home for the fall hunt.

A lot of bears both brown and black.

My 2 cents.

Steve

Default Fall brown bears? YUP!

I did a hunt with a client in there this last fall and we saw 11 brown bears in ten days. Two of them were nine footers. READ ABOUT IT AT THIS LINK. Click on my Blog page, then scroll down to "Float Hunt for Brown Bear". They're in there all right, and I can get you on 'em.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Float

I agree a float would be the way to go in the fall.

Steve