Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: post pics of yours

Default post pics of yours

Lets see what your cabins look like. For those of you have already accompished what the rest of us are thinking about, How about sharing some pictures of you pride and joy. It would be nice if you would include an outside shot and a couple of inside shots to show the ammenities. If you would mind sharing a little personal info, How much did it cost you and how long ago? (Have to think about inflation)

Default ATA cabin building workshop

The ATA and Marty Meierotto put on another cabin building workshop, here is a link to the youtube video made there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1pox...atrappers.org/

Gord
    "He was a man of no patience, you could see it in him. That was a notch against him. In the wild country, a body needs patience".

I sell little ebooklets on the net, www.alaskacabin.net Say you saw it on the Alaska Outdoors Directory and it is free...just send an email.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Default mine : first post ever

Well someone has to keep this thread going, so I'll try.
    This is the cabin, bought already built so I can't complain, but I can improve. On the big Sue between Deshka & Yetna.

Default This is the view that sold me.

Sitting on the front porch, view of McKinley and the rest of them.

Default Get away

I've been "building it" for four years now. I will let you know the cost when I'm finished.

Default music man

That looks beautiful!! If you don't mind can I ask you a few q's? When did you buy it and what did it cost? What are you doing for power, ammenities, ETC?

Default tboehm

Bought it a couple of years ago, we don't discuss the price for tax purposes. Power is gen set, water is 5gal jugs, outhouse around back. Up stairs was unfinished and no flooring down. Next big thing is propane fridge.

You will love your propane fridge......Can you say quiet??? So SWeeet.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I still have alot of work to do but it is coming along. I started with just a old 12 by 12 cabin that was just built on the ground they gave it to me when i bought the land i jacked it up and put a new roof built a deck then decided it was to small. I built onto the back 12 by 16 with a loft with stick wood. then i cut a 7 ft square hole in the back of the log cabin.
    The inside of the new cabin is 6inch pine toung and grove. its going to be fairly nice when its done the combanation of logs and regular wood is nice looking on the inside. I also put in a door up in the loft and built a deck over the log cabin part. I wanted the door so if there was ever a fire i could get out then the idea of a deck for a place to drink a beer sounded great. I have 400 ft of lake front and its so nice to sit on the upper deck and see the lake.......................
    This is a older picture of the add on. iI have a railing made of split logs and new flashing.

I love the pictures!! Keep them coming!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyriver View Post
    I've been "building it" for four years now. I will let you know the cost when I'm finished.
    Does anyone know how to stick frame the loft deck/roof? I read that you can only cantilever 1/3 of the length of the deck. I assume that that rule is only if not supported. I love the idea!!!

Thanks,
    Mike

Default Cantilever

I suppose it depends on what material is used and how the fixed end is supported. I cantilevered my upper deck out 5 feet using a long log on the 14th round. I decided to support it with burled spruce, mostly for looks but also because you can never tell where people are going to end up when we are having a "good time". I didn't want to take any chances that it might break.
    I also have a 130 watt PV panel that charges a 135 aH AGM deep cycle battery. It powers a 12v stereo, water pump for running water, a couple of 12v lights and a small inverter to run the tv/dvd. I also have a small (2500w) generator for back-up. I make it more comfortable every time I'm there....

Default Our cabin

This is our favorite place to go with our family.

Default Heaven

Our newly aquired little piece of heaven. Needs a little work but that is half the fun. This forum rocks by the way. I have learned more in the short amount of time that it has been up than in all years past.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Our place....

Here are a few pics of our scabin. By the way, I checked out corykittle.com. Awesome! Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    I sell little ebooklets on the net, www.alaskacabin.net Say you saw it on the Alaska Outdoors Directory and it is free...just send an email.
    Hey Marty, you wouldn't happen to have a brother name Mark would you?

Bought the place about 12 years ago with the intent of fixing it up. It was in sad shape at the time. It was built in the 70's by a not so skilled owner.

I was never able to get the time off to rescue the place (was in the military), so a couple of winters back, mother nature took her back.

We dropped it this summer. Come spring, I'll work on clean up and start the logistics of the new cabin to be built.

I'm on a ridge north of Talkeetna with a million dollar view.

I'm building in Talkeetna now, so the remote place had to wait.

Ken

Default The Cottage

My wife and I had the miraculous luck of buying my parents cabin in Little Tutka Bay (Kachemak Bay) about 4 years ago. It was on a Alaska Mental Health land lease lot and we were able to purchase the lot around the time we bought the building, before the lots jumped to over $100k.

It's a wonderful building and a gorgeous lot with over 600 feet of waterfront. My father always wanted a "Maine hunting lodge" in retirement, but because my mother refused to stay in New England when they retired, he had to settle on property in Alaska. (What a sacrifice!)

My wife and I have done quite a bit of maintenance and upkeep, erosion control, etc. as my parents were unable to really look after the place when they hit their 80's.

Take a look at the galleries on my website, and I'm sure you'll agree: The Cottage is Heaven...

http://www.lavrakas.com/LavPers/default.html

Cliffhanger, that's a fantastic cabin...I don't know how you leave it.

Upstream...yep, Mark is my brother. I think you know where his cabins are off Buffalo Mine.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast