Thread: Where can I get Caribou?

Default Where can I get Caribou?

I've been out of the Caribou game for over a decade and then I only hunted unit 13. I've been chasing blacktail on Chichigof Island the past few years but after last winter that not looking so go now. I've been hearing conflicting word about where the best 'bou hunting is.

Bottom line... Is the health of the Mulchatna herd bad enough to justify the extra expense of going to Kotzebue and hunting the WAH?

Quote Originally Posted by Omulan67 View Post
    I've been out of the Caribou game for over a decade and then I only hunted unit 13. I've been chasing blacktail on Chichigof Island the past few years but after last winter that not looking so go now. I've been hearing conflicting word about where the best 'bou hunting is.

Bottom line... Is the health of the Mulchatna herd bad enough to justify the extra expense of going to Kotzebue and hunting the WAH?
    From what I have heard and understand it would be worth the extra expense to hunt the WAH. Not only are the Mulchatna numbers down, I don't believe there are a lot of nice bulls being taken out of the herd these days. I'm sure the herd will bounce back like always, but for the time being I think you have a much better chance at seeing large numbers of bou and bigger bulls up North...just my 2c.

Thumbs up Omulan67:

Come North Young Man!

We have the animals in WACH and I can help you put together a good hunt on the cheap. A lot of guys will just buy a package drop hunt and spend between $2,500 to 4,000 per hunter in the process or I can show you how to put 2 guys in the field for that amount. This can be fun but it takes some extra effort arranging a successful hunt. Check out my web site and e-mail me at northwestalaska@yahoo.com and let the fun begin!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Default Listen to Walt.

If you go to Kotz make sure you listen to Walt. He is the most friendly. helpfull and knowledgeable person you could ever want to meet.
    Bruce

Default Another vote for the WAH

Right now the Western Arctic Herd is the largest in the state. While no caribou hunt is a guarantee of anything, your chances of seeing caribou (and lots of them) are really high in the western arctic.

I too have heard good things about Walt's operation, though we have not met. The keys to success up there involve getting good local information and getting hooked up with a good air service that won't dump you on top of a bunch of other folks. There are some horror stories coming out of the arctic, but if you get with the right folks you should be okay.

You could also look at Adak. It is fairly expensive to get there, but by the time you run the numbers on a commercial flight to Kotzebue AND a bush flight, you could probably do an Adak hunt for less money. If you hunted the road system there. Send me a pm and we can talk about Adak. I've been to the arctic and to Adak several times, so I could give you a pretty good comparison.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

HALF? Half of which amount.........the 2500 or the 4000?

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    Come North Young Man!

. A lot of guys will just buy a package drop hunt and spend between $2,500 to 4,000 per hunter in the process or I can show you how to put 2 guys in the field for that amount.
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Red face Trapper

Marten:

You crack me up!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Talking

Thanks guys! Good info.