Thread: dark house spearing

Default dark house spearing

Hey there guys. Lets see some pictures of your dark house set ups. I will get it started. I have a clam voyager ice house. I use some outdoor carpet for the floor so that light does get into it. My hole is 2 foot by 3 foot and I use an ice saw to cut it. I went out today and seen a lot of fish, but didn't see big enough to let it fly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default spearing

Your pike fishing right? I used to spear but no pics.

Default pike

Yes I'm spearing for pike. Here are some pictures of some of my decoys that I use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default decoys

Along with my sucker fish decoy's I used to make sure the water smelled like fish using chunks of herring usually, and sometimes I would string them up just like a decoy. I know for a fact the smell helps to attract, and to keep the big ones there longer - usually long enough to smack em plus it attracts bait fish. You may already be doing this but if not try it.

couple of things.

Save egg shells, really helps seeing fish come in. Crush them fine. Could also use rice however everytime I try rice, it doesnt want to sink, ugg. Maybe it should be cooked first?

Curious how you are getting the carpet back?

cut that hole with a chain saw from start to finish. We used a big tongs looking deal to pick it out, if needed we'd cut it up into a couple pieces beforehand if we thought we couldn't pick it.

We also used an old bait caster to mount the decoy, so just in case that big sucker comes in and whacks the decoy he dont steal it on ya. Of course we were doing all this out of a permanent house, we did have a portable solo spearing house that when I grew up I'd go along. In the perm house it was mounted on the wall, went up to an eye bolt on the ceiling, and down the hole. This also helped to bring them out from under the edges as the decoy was centered in the hole. Reckon yo ucould always spring clamp a board with the reel on the sled, and another board with the eye bolt up inbetween the folding bars. but then you may have issues pushing a fish out by opening the house.

I have the otter lodge and have thought quite hard about doing it...... Little worried though the door is on the wrong side of the house, my luck I'd fall in.

Default spearing

I use potatos cut thin. They work better I think then egg shells. I like the portable house because then I can move quickly and change lakes.