Thread: Model 94 sight damaged

Question Model 94 sight damaged

I have a model 94 and the front sight blade is damaged. This is my favorite gun in that it is my dads old deer rifle which he gave to me once he picked up a Ruger 77 7mag (he later gave me that too!) I have often thought about "upgrading" to a high viz front blade but I don't want to do anything irreversible. I think I can break my question down.

1. Can my broken front blade be replaced and returned to original condition? (the very top of the blade is machined round so that from the rear it looks like a dot, the "dot" is bent and the metal has cracked along the bottom of it) If that doesn't make sense I can take a pic when I feel up to digging it out.

2 If I can't return it to original cond I may as well upgrade it what front sight would you recommend?

3 If I can return it to stock is there a better sight that can be installed without making permanent changes so I can return it to original one day?

The details depend on the age and variety of 94.

If the barrel has a dovetail slot (at is should) into which the sight slides, no problem, and almost any 3/8" dovetail sight can be used. If it's a ramp sight that's been drilled and tapped, there should still be a dovetail in the ramp so you can change the site on top of the ramp. Even if a ramp is damaged, you can usually find a replacement.

As for front sights, it kinda depends on what you want. I've replaced some of mine with fiber optics (available from lots of sources, including Williams) due to my aging eyes, but I've kept the originals in case I ever want to restore a gun. Checking on fleaBay, you might even find original front sight blades for sale.

I'd check with a gunsmith or else go on line to the Brownell's site. If you are going to tap out the old sight and put in a new, just remember that the dovetail in the barrel is directional. As you sight down the barrel normally from the rear, sights go out to the right, and back in from the right. If you're not sure of yourself, a smith can do the job quick and easy, once your place in line comes up. Avoiding the wait is a pretty good reason for doing it yourself.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

As BrownBear mentioned, you can check Brownell's web site and also Numrich http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ Both of these companies are well known and respected and also have tech staff that you can call with questions if need be. As a side note: these Winchester lever guns are becoming more valuable and you may find it interesting to do some research on you Dad's gun and see what the year of manufacture is and its current value. some of those made before 1964 are commanding premium prices depending upon condition of course. but if it turns out that you have a piece worth a tidy sum of cash, you may want to oil it up and stash it in your safe................. I wouldnt, but hey, I am really more of a shooter than a collector.

Good luck
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I don't think I want to know how much it's worth... I will probably take my .325 for most all of my hunting but If I can get a moose next year I would realy like to take it out for bou. Dad gave it to me and I am sure he is looking forward to pic's of my boys carrying it on their first big game hunts with me like I did with him. Thanks for the web sites I will check them out.

I would look at the link from Marble to give you an idea of what you need. http://www.marblearms.com/sights/specs/contour.html
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson