Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Boat Trailer advice needed.

Question Custom Boat Trailer advice needed.

ok, so I got the boat I wanted and really like, but it came with an ezloader trailer, that is too small in my opinion. I own a 20' woolly sport with a 150hp merc on it. Not sure of the total weight. I have heard guys having custom trailers built and have seen some very nice trailers out there!!! I trailer the boat alot, and plan on doing some yukon trips, so I need a trailer that will hold up!! right now I have a single axle trailer, and will almost definitely got to a tandem, with one axle having brakes. I have bunks now, and like them, so I probably go with bunks. What do you guys/gals think? Any advice, any recommended fabicators? I live in chugiak. so any one close by here would get a good look!! I have heard of a guy in the kenai/soldotna area that does good work too! lets have it!!
    Tim

Default same trailer & boat

Love the boat, hate the trailer & engine...........

I have the same boat, engine and 2800# EZ Loader trailer.
    I agree the trailer is barely adequate, I can see the tires flex big time in the rear view mirror. It has not caused a problem, but I am afraid to put any significant amount of gear in the boat while trailering. The boat, full tank & engine weigh 2300 lbs just by them selves! It is very frustrating to me that these boats were sold with barely adequate trailers and 2-stroke engines (I bought mine used).

My trailer is also rigged such that the boat nose is downward 2-inches too low in the front which makes filling the gas tank a very slow and tedious exercise. Re-rigging the trailer is not as simple as it sounds. I plan to get a new hitch that will have the ball two inches higher to level the boat out (the trailer frame will then be out of level). I would love to have a 3500# double axle so you could load the boat just once instead of loading your car and then loading the boat when you launch.

Unfortunately the cost of a new or another trailer don't warrant the upgrade to me. Anybody got a double axle they want to trade for a single?

I may also look into getting heavier load rated tires which could be a cheaper fix as long as you don't exceed the trailer frame capacity.

Tito -

Are the tires on your trailer truly trailer tires, or are they car tires? Wondering if this would make a difference in their flexing.

Default EZ Loader

Have you tried calling EZ Loader? They might make a helper spring kit or can tell you how to upgrade the trailer with larger springs or try calling 6 Robblees and talk to Ben he should be able to help you out. I am getting the 5200lb EZ Loader on my new boat over the 4700 standard one with brakes on both axles.

Default Correct tires & net result of only 212 lbs of gear capacity!

Tires are Load Range "C" Trailer-Use-Only tires rated for 1760 lbs maximum load each at 50 psi cold. This gives 3520 lb total tire capacity for the two tires on single axle which is more than the 2800lb the trailer is rated for. The basic boat weight is as follows:

boat = 1500 lbs
    45 gallons gas = 338 lbs
    main engine = 410 lbs
    kicker = 100 lbs
    12 gallon auxillary tank = 90 lbs
    anchor & chain, basic boat safety gear, ropes, electronics, etc..... = say 150 lbs

Thus bare basic load total = 2588 lbs

Net available for more gear & coolers = only 212 lbs

I assume there is some factor of safety on the 2800 lb rated trailer capacity, and the tires are supposedly good to 3520lb.........so it would seem you could probably get away with another 200 lbs for a total net available for gear = about 400 lbs.

The trailer has the rubber torsion springs so a leaf helper spring will not work.

I always make sure I am at 50 psi before a trip. So I guess you just watch the tires bulge out big time when you hit a bump (like the one that finally got fixed at mile 40 on the Seward Highway) and don't worry about it......

Default trailer

Could you just swap out to a heaver axle and tire set up and still keep the original trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    ok, so I got the boat I wanted and really like, but it came with an ezloader trailer, that is too small in my opinion. I own a 20' woolly sport with a 150hp merc on it. Not sure of the total weight. I have heard guys having custom trailers built and have seen some very nice trailers out there!!! I trailer the boat alot, and plan on doing some yukon trips, so I need a trailer that will hold up!! right now I have a single axle trailer, and will almost definitely got to a tandem, with one axle having brakes. I have bunks now, and like them, so I probably go with bunks. What do you guys/gals think? Any advice, any recommended fabicators? I live in chugiak. so any one close by here would get a good look!! I have heard of a guy in the kenai/soldotna area that does good work too! lets have it!!
    Tim
    Before you do anything it would help to know the weight of your boat rigged on the trailer with whatever extra gear you have in it and what your present trailer is certified to carry.
    From what I read a boat trailer should carry a boat that weighs about 90% of what the trailer is rated to carry. If you have a trailer with to stiff a suspension it causes the boat to bounce around more than it should. You can change the tires and axles all you want but that still doesnt do anything to change the tag on the trailer stating the max legal weight load.
    Used boat trailers in good shape sell easily up here in the summer time so it will take less cash out of your pocket to get the replacement trailer. Guessing what your rig weighs "wet" is not a good way to determine the weight. Take it to a scale and have it weighed and proceed from there. I doubt you need a custom trailer as EZ loader or King probably makes what you need.
    Tennessee

Randy -

Do you know of a place to weigh a trailer? I've always wanted to know the true weight of my boat/trailer combo (as well as tongue weight), but the only place I know of that has scales is on the highway south of Eagle River (weigh station) and the Eagle River landfill. I assume that the landfill is too busy to have someone get in the way and the weigh station wouldn't work for the same reasons. I wonder if the scale at the weigh station is always turned on and you could see the reading from outside the building (when the station's closed).

Eagle River dump worked for me in the past. Just pull it on the scale and ask them to weigh it. If they are not busy sometimes they do not even charge but it has been a few years since I had one weighed.
    If they will not do it another option is to go to one of the moving companies as they also have drive on scales.
    Tennessee

MOST highway dept road scales are always on so truckers can check their scales..... Or at least they USED to be.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    MOST highway dept road scales are always on so truckers can check their scales..... Or at least they USED to be.
    That would be my preference. Then I can take my time figuring out tongue weight, etc.

Thumbs up Bekins in A

Paid an affordable amount, weighed three ways (they can provide guidance) and I received the weight combination figures needed to work the math.

When I drove past the weigh station last night and they were closed I saw that they put cones around the scale. So it looks like maybe that's not going to work.

Default boat weight and adequate trailer

Thanks for all the responses!! Yes I will get the boat weighed to get an accurate weight, thanks for all the ideas as to how to get an accurate weight!! I will try the dump first, then go to a moving company!

now as far as what I have got, Tito and I have the same boat, even same color, the motors are slightly different, but weight I would bet is within 10lbs total!! What tito is saying is no joke, it appears the only place there is any give on this trailer in on the tires, and I too have checked to make sure they are what they are supposed to be. Both these boats and trailers are only 4 yrs old, and I know my trailer has less than 15k miles on it. I have towed a lot of boats in my days, and this trailer is very near the max. I have had a few people following me ask me if the trailer is for that boat, as they can watch the whole trailer flex going down the road. It has actually flexed enough to allow a few bolts to gouge the bottom while being trailered. I agree, you don't want a trailer too stiff, then the boat will bounce around. The other problem I have seen, is these are jet boats, we launch in shallow water. I need a trailer that is stout (built appropriate for the weight it will haul) and low enough to make shallow launchings easy. AS far as buying another EZloader, i have heard of alot of problems with them, along with thier prices being quite high(shipping cost to AK?) I have talked to alot of people who have had a custom trailer made for the boats, and the $$$ was less than buying a New ezloader. King trailers, I haven't even looked, but will. Who sells them? There is alot of expierence on this forum, and I know there are very good custom fabricators out there, and the trailer I have isn't going to last as long as I plan on keeping this boat. So anyone who has had good or bad dealing with such fabricators, let me know!!
    Thanks for all the help guys/gals!!!
    Tim

I bought a new EZ Loader about 3 years ago and yes, they are expensive. Called a place in Seattle to check prices to see if it would be less expensive to buy there and ship here, but they wanted the same (maybe more) amount of money as the local place wanted.

I checked King Trailer prices at Burkshore in Big Lake and they were way more pricey than EZ Loaders.

Maybe a custom-built boat is the way to go, because I know that if you buy a name brand trailer in AK it's going to cost quite a bit. From my research, it seems the further east you go in the Lower 48 the cheaper the prices get.

Default scale

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    When I drove past the weigh station last night and they were closed I saw that they put cones around the scale. So it looks like maybe that's not going to work.
    Try Boot leg coffee shop/scale on post road south side across from Auto Electric they have a scale and are easy to get in and out of.

Default thanks, Sport drifter!!

Thanks sport drifter!! I will check them out!!
    hey if ya figure out the rocket launcher mod to your boat post a picture, I need to do something to mine for sure!

Talking Rocket launchers

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    Thanks sport drifter!! I will check them out!!
    hey if ya figure out the rocket launcher mod to your boat post a picture, I need to do something to mine for sure!
    Sold the Sport Drifter and this is for the new one. It has a new home in Fairbanks now.

Default Tok, believe it or not

There is a guy in Tok that is bringing up aluminum trailers from Florida. I checked on them on the web, and they seem to have a pretty good reputation back east. His contact info is under boats on Craigslist all the time for Alaska. If someone has any experience with this guy, please PM me, since I am considering buying an Opsrey out of state and having his guy pick it up with a trailer. His prices were pretty good, and they have trailers that go up to at lease 15,000lbs.

Jim

Just for everyone's info..I'm a commercial driver... the weigh station does not have a way for you to see what your truck weighs. It is completely inside.

The scale Sport Drifter mentioned is a good way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast