Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: North Pole Area Wolves

Default North Pole Area Wolves

Has anyone around the North Pole/Chena Hot Springs Road area tried to hunt the wolves that have been lurking around ? Trying to pinpoint their movement to try to do some calling. Does anyone know the actual subdivision that the first dog was killed off of Nelson Road ? If anyone has tried or has any information on their movement it would be helpfull. Thanks

Default Wolves

saw one today while predator calling, but will keep it a secret for now

AKtrpr

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    Has anyone around the North Pole/Chena Hot Springs Road area tried to hunt the wolves that have been lurking around ? Trying to pinpoint their movement to try to do some calling. Does anyone know the actual subdivision that the first dog was killed off of Nelson Road ? If anyone has tried or has any information on their movement it would be helpfull. Thanks
    Here's the man who knows.

I've seen tracks of two different packs. One pack has four big animals and two younger ones. Second pack had three older ones and three young ones. Then saw a lone black animal last week, it looks like a young one. Probably the one that grabbed the little dog this week. This lone animal was close to 700 yards out and all I had with me was a .17HMR. Only good for 300 yards. I'm now carrying my 30-06 or 22-250. Some people came out and spooked it before I could get into a better position. They never knew it was there. Waiting till there is no one around before I try calling. Need to know which animal is out there, don't want to scare it off, or educate a pack that can split up and get behind you and wind you before you know they are there. Have to be careful with your setup and which sound you are using.

Also if at night you see a red light come on occasionally then go off. DON'T GO OUT THERE, to see what the guy is doing.

Default red flight?

Graybeard what is the purpose of the light?

Wolves, Coyotes, foxes, and most animals don't see red. When out at night and you think something moved, hit it with a red light and see what it is without spooking it. Next time a moose is in the yard at night, put a red lens over your flashlite and let the family see it well.

Cold morning, nothing moving this morning. Everywhere has gotten so icy it's hard to get around walking. Tried some coyote howls, got a response from a coyote, when I first called, but nothing came in. Tried a single wolf howl, before leaving, no response.

I guess I have always hunted predators on well moonlit nights without lights. good to know though, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Wolves, Coyotes, foxes, and most animals don't see red. When out at night and you think something moved, hit it with a red light and see what it is without spooking it. Next time a moose is in the yard at night, put a red lens over your flashlite and let the family see it well.

Cold morning, nothing moving this morning. Everywhere has gotten so icy it's hard to get around walking. Tried some coyote howls, got a response from a coyote, when I first called, but nothing came in. Tried a single wolf howl, before leaving, no response.

Assuming you have a trapping license.....

Hey Fish, a set of glowing eyes running at you is quite a thrill. Learning the proper techniques and figuring out the proper gear for night calling was a real challenge, very different than daytime calling. I only call at night anymore. I won't start much calling until lynx opens, I don't really want any fox or coyote.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    I had with me was a .17HMR. Only good for 300 yards.
    Ok this will probably start a debate, so lets keep it civil, but would you take a shot at a yote or wolf at 300 yards with the HMR?

While I could hit him at that range I would not take a shot beyond 100 yards due to bullet performance. A hole fron the .17 would not be large enough to leave a good blood trail. The odds are the aniimal would get away, and without a blood trail you would not be able to track well enough to run him down. On my .17HMR I have the Sweet 17 scope, and can shoot 4" clay targets on the bank at the S Cushman range all day. That's 337 yards.

A fox I would shoot at that range (300yds), not a wolf.

Does the red light still reflect off their eyes? I am slowly getting together my predator calling gear. Realy want a .223 AR with an illuminated reticle and a mounted xenon light but may just buy a budget savage bolt in .243 or similar.

The red light reflects their etes just like white light. Once you turn the light on, leave it on.

As a hunter and trapper living on CHRS, and losing a dog to the wolves, I want them gone. We have an oportunity to work together to end this problem. There will be 2 or 3 of us setting up on the quest trial from about 15 mile and 2 or so miles back towards Chena lakes this weekend. lets let each other know where we will be so we can end the problem. And yes, I want some payback for my Lab, but I don't realy care who gets the wolves as long as the problem is solved. I also saw some sign in the shear bladed area in the Little Chena valley, at the end of Two Rivers school rd.
    2 weekends ago

Scott,
    That sounds like a plan. I think we should all consider your plan and get out there and try to get around the area where they may be holding. If they are running in packs Im sure they are like the ones in Delta and you have to catch them when they come through, hopefully they are running a big circle like they are in Delta. I really dont care either who gets one or all of them I too want them gone so my Lab doesnt fall victom to another notch on their belt. Ill PM you with more details and well try to take up as much of the area as we can. Thanks

Default nice job

Go get them boys, try to get a plan so that you have educated wolf trappers out there so you do not have some newbies educating them making it harder in the future to rid the area of the problem.

Good luck

Default wolf tracks

I found wolf tracks along my trapline along a slough about 3 animals i think, unfortunately i do not own any traps large enough for a wolf but the tracks were heading north about 5 milessouth west of two rivers.

They are waiting for the moose to migrate down out of the mountains then they will probably return to eating moose. The moose won't move until we get more snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait 1 View Post
    They are waiting for the moose to migrate down out of the mountains then they will probably return to eating moose. The moose won't move until we get more snow.

That is a good one......
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast