Thread: new bow hunter

Default new bow hunter

A friend bought a new bow and gave me his old one. I am not familier with bows but have been studying. The question i have is I am able to hit a paper dinner plate at 15 yards and probably a 16 inch square at 25 yards. Do many of you take shots much further then this? I tried to go out to 40 yards and was lucky to hit a ply wood size object. The arrow dropped almost to the ground. The bow is set at 60 pounds. Any advice? I am an avid rifle hunter, but this bow shooting gets me interested in trying to hunt with a bow also. Any advice welcome. Thanks Chef Viktor

I would reccomend to you to go to sportsmans warehouse and pick up the dvd "So you want to be a bowhunter" It goes over a lot of info that will help you get started. As for hitting a dinner plate at 15 yards, I have never even practiced at anything closer than 20 yds. My pins are set for 20, 30, 40, 50 yds. If you plan on hunting you will want to get a bit better(practice, practice, practice!!) you can get shots at 15 yds but if you plan on going to the Haul Rd you definatly need to get some distance under it.

chef - You didn't mention what kind of bow you're shooting. I'm assuming it's a compound bow? Does it have sights? Are you using a finger tab or a release? All of these things can make a big difference in your accuracy. Take a look at the video mentioned, and if you're serious about getting into bowhunting take a trip out to Fletcher's Archery in Wasilla. They're great about helping you get your bow set up, even if you didn't buy it there. I got my bow somewhere else, but the gentleman there still spent lots of time with me getting my bow tuned. Of course I bought a few things, but my bow came from elsewhere. As for yardages, I feel accurate on animals out to 40, with good accuracy on tagets out to 50. I'd like to get to that point with animals, but I want to be 100% sure before I release an arrow. If you're looking at hunting black bears over bait, 20-30 yards will be fine. If you're hoping for caribou, you'll want to get out to at least 40.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by chef viktor
    A friend bought a new bow and gave me his old one. I am not familier with bows but have been studying. The question i have is I am able to hit a paper dinner plate at 15 yards and probably a 16 inch square at 25 yards. Do many of you take shots much further then this? I tried to go out to 40 yards and was lucky to hit a ply wood size object. The arrow dropped almost to the ground. The bow is set at 60 pounds. Any advice? I am an avid rifle hunter, but this bow shooting gets me interested in trying to hunt with a bow also. Any advice welcome. Thanks Chef Viktor
    If you have free time come to back country Archery off artic blvd. HAve bill take a look over it for you to make sure it in good order for you. One thing to remember is the bow can shoot good for one person but for another it will won't. Get it set up for you. Also you will get allot of good advice. If I'm there (my second home) I can give you some pointers and leasons. Of course free of charge
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by B_M
    chef - You didn't mention what kind of bow you're shooting. I'm assuming it's a compound bow? Does it have sights? Are you using a finger tab or a release? All of these things can make a big difference in your accuracy. Take a look at the video mentioned, and if you're serious about getting into bowhunting take a trip out to Fletcher's Archery in Wasilla. They're great about helping you get your bow set up, even if you didn't buy it there. I got my bow somewhere else, but the gentleman there still spent lots of time with me getting my bow tuned. Of course I bought a few things, but my bow came from elsewhere. As for yardages, I feel accurate on animals out to 40, with good accuracy on tagets out to 50. I'd like to get to that point with animals, but I want to be 100% sure before I release an arrow. If you're looking at hunting black bears over bait, 20-30 yards will be fine. If you're hoping for caribou, you'll want to get out to at least 40.

-Brian
    Brain is right
    Jerry is one of the best..He super tuned my Lx and now she sings ..Fletchers can help get you set up and ready to rock.