Thread: Where are lynx and wolverines?

Question Where are lynx and wolverines?

Self-Explanatory. I'm looking to shoot either.

Default Norton Sound

I used to see a lot of fox up on the Norton Sound. Also south of Nulato on the Yukon seemed to be loaded too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You don't say where you live, or what areas you want to hunt. Lynx are where there arte rabbits. Wolverine can be anywhere. Mountainous areas seem to have more wolverine.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

sorry, I live in anchorage and i'm willing to drive pretty much anywhere to get something. I'd prefer to go no farther than cantwell up the parks and glennallen on the glenn. i love the peninsula and i'll drive anywhere there. any places where I'd have good chances would be much appreciated

Rabbits and lynx are rerbounding in both areas I believe. I hear of good lynx numbers around glennallen. Be careful your not calling right from someones trapline trail.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I think there might be some cats in the eklutna tailrace area.... Wolverines are everywhere at very small densities. Out of all the people I know who have spent a large amount of times outdoors in this state I am the only one to ever see a wolverine, and thats people from all over the state.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I saw a wolverine run across the road in front of me once.

Quote Originally Posted by jim mcleary View Post
    I saw a wolverine run across the road in front of me once.
    Amazing... they are hard to see.

I have some friends that trapped a wolverine in/and/or around Tok.

True hunters never share their spots. (Especially sheep)

I am not quite yet a true hunter, although I am getting 'trained and prepared' for it... so... even though theoretically, I could tell you, said husband wouldn't be happy about me telling our spots.
    Lurker.

Going out to specifically hunt for a wolverine would be quite a challenge. You rarely see them. I saw one when I was sheep hunting once.

They generally travel long loop routes and don't hang around any one place for a long time. A good way to find them is to concentrate on canyon bottoms. They will follow the bottoms of the canyons on their way around their route...well not always the bottoms, sometimes the edge of the ridge.

Lynx are easy. Just get out of town a ways. That mean way past Palmer or Wasilla and find a place where there are LOTS of rabbits. Wait until a fresh snow and walk through the area until you see lynx tracks. Then sit down and blow on your rabbit call. They will come. Lynx is the only predator I have successfully called.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I live in the matsu vally. A frind of mine is a avid rabbit hunter thats about all he dose in his spare time. he told me he gets around 8 to 10 rabbits a day around eklutna he also said he seen a lynx in a trap and herd another.
    he also hunts the flats neer wasilla. Have you ever herd a lynx scream in the woods its a eary sound. As far as wolverine I have been here 50 years ive only seen two from the ground. I have trapped a few but it was in wolf sets. I have seen alot of them from the air but that was mostly in western alaska.

Default Wolverine

I've seen 3 wolverines the last two winters, 1 last and 2 this year. Pretty amazing, I always figured I would never see one, unfortunately they were all in the park.....very cool to see regardless.

Good Luck

Last edited by whitepalm; 12-17-2007 at 10:41. Reason: add photo

whitepalm,
    Thanks a ton for that Photo of the wolverine. You're in a very minor percentage of people actually being able to see and photo one. I saw one in Michigan about 15 years ago, the only one I've ever seen.

Matsuthunder,
    I heard what I think was a Lynx scream this past moose season. It was an eerie sound and was really close to where I was set up.