Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depressing.....

Wink Depressing.....

......138 days until bear baiting starts!!!!! Slow moving calender

Amen............
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

jeesh, I hate to say it, there are still big game hunts open in this state.

As is small game and predators.

It's one of the few states were you could truely hunt year round for something larger then a rat.

Default 137....

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post

It's one of the few states were you could truely hunt year round for something larger then a rat.
    Yea I know but....May and June are pretty much consumed by running all of our baits, hunting all night, chasing bears all around.....good times all around...a major under-taking for us every year. Usually by July I'm glad it's over for the break. But about this time every year I start to get antcy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post

Maybe if you have a plane. For me big game season is about 6 weeks a year.

plane lmao...ah..NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Maybe if you have a plane. For me big game season is about 6 weeks a year.

A plane? You can hunt moose on the road system from August 10 through February, depending on registration hunt dates. Caribou are available nearly all year on the Haul Road, black and brown bear can be hunted on the road system from April through October, and then there are also sheep and goat. 6 weeks???

Off to Vegas this morning...for uh..."work?" Yea......

You are right I could drive 750 miles each way for a caribou and it is open nearly all year. Can even get 2.

I am just saying there arent a lot of opportunities within a couple hundred miles and from walking distance for much big game hunting. I get out 15-20 days a year. Mostly after work or a weekend and it will usually be aug 10-sept 20.

I'm with Mr. Miller.
    I know there are some opportunities out there, but with limited time & finances big game hunting is pretty much over here on the Kenai. Black bear down here does add (more than double) to that 6 week season though.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Had a fun day saturday.

Drove my buds pickmup truck out, called in a couple yotes, nothing close enough to shoot....But still cool. Nice to be out hunting for sure and I'd consider a yote big game with a bow. Try it, you may like it, and it's cheap! The cool part is getting into a howling match and then calling one in!!!

I'm counting the days as well. Already starting to get geared up for it. At least I got a bunch of good cam pictures from this past spring.

Good times.

is it may yet???
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

one out of four aint bad.

Nice brown bear bait station.

I tried baiting once and after the first brown bear came to it all the blackies disappeared.

SSuuuwweeeeet

Default game cam

man that took good photos. My old 35mm cam just never seemed to do very well. I did find a line on some digital units that looked pretty cool. When I get to work I'll pull the site out of my outdoor file and see if I can send the link. I did ask the company if we could get a quantity discount and they said yes. So stand by for news!

Default Wheeewww....

.....back from vegas...still trying to recover mentally, emotionally....and economically!!!

We bought a couple of cameras to try out this year as well. I'm a little worried about leaving them out in the woods when we are not around...thought they might walk off if we left them there for couple of weeks. But rather I would like to put a couple out at baits not being hunting certain nights while we are sitting on others....just to see what we missed and what times. Should be fun...something new.

Spring will be here before we know it. Geeezz...it feels like spring here already anyway. I wasn't much colder here than in vegas...low 40's at night.

Default pix controller game cams

Hey guys, I found the info I mentioned on what looks like some cool game cams/surveillance cameras. Go to the OUTDOOR GEAR forum and take a look. I have not held one in my sweaty hands yet, so I don't have any first hand information. I'll be looking for some input from you guys.

Default bait cam

Where do you guys that have used them recommend placing your trail cam?
    Do you put it right at the bait or off a few yards. Looks like the pics posted were right at the bait. Guess im trying to avoid a bear tearing it up. I just got one and am anxious to use it at my bait next year. Any tips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast