Thread: Stoeger Doubles

Default Stoeger Doubles

Anyone know anything about those stoeger doubles in 20 gauge? The price is right, how do they shoot, durability? Just wondering, looking for an upland 20 gauge...

FWIW, I've got one of their OU 12's. Kinda beefy wood, and the barrel selector is pretty stiff.

In that price range and with the features they offer I bet the Uplander is probably comparable to the Savage/Stevens 311. I've had several of those, and will have to base further comments on conjecture about the similaries mixed with fit and finish on my OU.

Basically, I'd be inclined to pick one up at those prices, but I'd get the regular version with double triggers rather than the supreme with single selective. A satin finish appeals to me more than a gloss, too. I'd also opt for the 26" barrels rather than the 28" version for upland use. Check their specification page for more detailed comparisons between the models.

Gotta say that with a bunch of other 12's and 20's in the house, that 16 gauge they list really appeals to me, even with the fixed chokes. Ammo is getting hard to find, but it's still a dandy for upland. In general I used to get better patterns out of 16 gauge than I ever did out of 3" 20 gauge.

Default stoeger

I had one of the 20 guages and didn't like it so I sold it. I would look at the spartan doubles that remington imports from russia, they have a good selection and I think they are a better buy at about the same price. Brownbear, they also come in a 16 gauge as well..........

Thanks TC1! I will check on that. I've got a Spartan 20, and other than being a little rougher when new, I compare it with the two 311's I have. If the Uplander is rougher than the Spartan for the same bux, I'd definitely go for the Spartan. They're pretty stiff when new, but smooth up fairly quickly with handling. You'll find the oil finish on the Spartan stocks a little lacking, but that's why our founding fathers invented TruOil. ;-)

Im on my second season with my stoeger uplander in 20 guage. It is rough looking, but thats from flogging it around in the brush alot. I keep it oiled up some but I dont baby it. The metal is still nice and blue, so I like the fact its not a rust prone gun. I have had high-end stainless jobs that have developed rust with the same amount of care I give this shotgun.

It shoots straight, carries nice and good, real manuverable and dependable. Im happy with it.

The stiff action bothered me at first, but I have not noticed or cared while using it in the field.

I give it 2 thumbs up as a utilitarian, no frills workhorse double.

Now I'm getting really torn in half! Sounds like both the Uplander and the Spartan might be good options for my someday 16.

Are you confused yet Bobblehead? Nice to have choices, isn't it.

I looked at Brown Bear's link out of curiosity and found something I find disturbing. The Stoeger Competition is a combo 12/20 gauge which I find to be very dangerous. One of the first things I learned shooting was never to mix 12 and 20 gauge rounds since a 20 will slip all the way into a 12 allowing you to double load it. I've never tried it to see if it works but I can't imagine it's an old wives tale.

Default Stoeger 12 ga. O/U

I had a Stoeger 12 ga. O/U with the single trigger. I can't remember the model. I really thought I was going to like it - and I did until I was out bird hunting and after firing the first shot the second would not go off because the safety kept going about half way on. I know, I know - I shouldn't have needed the second shot anyway, but sometimes I don't shoot as good as I should. I got a bad taste in my mouth over this and I got rid of it because I had another shotgun I could use. This may have been a fluke deal with just my gun and it may have been an easy fix. Other than this issue, it was a good tight gun and seemed to be pretty well made. Just something to watch out for. Good luck and good shooting.
    Andy

I have a Stoeger 12ga O/U that I use for skeet. Gun has performed flawlessly for 15 years. While living in DC my scores were right up there with the guys shooting Brownings. The wife has a 20ga, same performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Now I'm getting really torn in half! Sounds like both the Uplander and the Spartan might be good options for my someday 16.

Are you confused yet Bobblehead? Nice to have choices, isn't it.
    Check out the CZ if you get the chance. They're really nice shotguns for the money and you can get them in 16 ga.

16 ga double trigger s/s for a bit over $600: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=86385315

single trigger, sideplates, and POW grip s/s under for a shade over $900:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=86385315

Sportsman's carries them in 12 and 20 ga if you want to check them out. They make a nice entry level o/u that might suit you as well, but I don't think they make it in 16ga.

The Spartan is exactly that. It works, but man is it rough and ugly. I don't prefer the bowling pin finish on the Stoeger o/u either, but that's getting picky I guess. The Stoeger s/s is "ok" if you can't save a bit longer and get a nicer gun.