Thread: Nenana cabin building

Default Nenana cabin building

Me and my husband and sister in law are moving to 38 acres the land is covered in trees our question is how much would it cost to bulid a cabin and how long would it take?

Default Vauge

You are asking a very vauge question. Is it on the road system? How big? How many ammenities? Design? A lot more details would be needed for an answer.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

What Dave said!
    "He was a man of no patience, you could see it in him. That was a notch against him. In the wild country, a body needs patience".

idk, like a woostove a roof, floor and the walls, everything else we can do over time, yes there a road near there. we can use an out housr ubtill we figure out what 2 do. we just need a place to live b4 winter thats stable
    keeps us warm and where we can cook

Default Please

Please, I am not trying to be hard on you but more information is needed. You say before winter? You mean next winter? Winter got here about 2 months ago up there.

I think you need to do some research on Neanna, the climate and such. My students build simple tool sheds and a 8' x 12' usually goes for around $1,400 (materials) with no roofing material, just papered, no insulation, pipeing or electric.

You are going to have to haul everything from Fairbanks so add in trips with pickup. A wood stove is probably going to cost $1,000 with all the pipe and everything. You can set it on blocks and beams so add another $200-300.

The more information we have the better we can answer your questions.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You are going to need to figure out exactly what you are going to build and then how you are going to build it. Then you can count the amount of framing pieces you will need, and plywood etc. Windows, doors, roofing, insulation, nails, screws, glue, tools.

Then you can go down to Home Depot and price the stuff out...
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

and add about 10-20 percent for the unforeseen....

I wish i was in your shoes though, it's definitely a dream of mine. \

Default Small Cabin...

Have to agree with Dave and the rest of the gang.I hate to say it, but the old days are gone.I live outside Leavenworth Wa in the mts, and after spending my entire career in the building industry,I can't believe the prices of "stuff".Use to be you could buy nails by the lb out of a bin, but here now, they are in a 1lb pretty box for 9bucks for galvanized 7penny box.I still buy in the 50 lb box, but gets pretty expensive.What use to be 15 dollars a sheet for t-11 siding is now 36 for a select grade of 5/8".Have someone draw out the plans, and figure a material list...starting with the footings...piers...floor...walls ect.I actually figured a cabin for my land at Kindamina (outside Manley) and it came to 10,000 lbs and 10,000 dollars.I had to figure weight for fly-in with a chopper.That was for a 16x20,complete with wood stove.(material only..FOB Fairbanks.(Northern wood products)My 950 sq ft cabin cost me 40,000 in 1990 to build myself with 2 full baths .GR

Default Quik cabins

This cabin (12x20) was started on April 1 by clearing 2 feet of snow away and had customers staying in it on May 9th, built by a friend and I. Its a summer use only nence the 4x6s on edge and no insulation was used.
    The third one I built was for my wifes espesso shop, (14x 28)same design, but insulated and used 6x6's, it was -30 outside and the inside temp dropped to 66, but it uses the smallest toyo stove you can buy. The roof and floor use R30 and 2 layers of that 1/4" bubble mylar stuff, one against the outside sheeting and one inside, good for R10 each. Total building time for it was 8 weeks (same two builders). Total cost for summer cabin was $8k, and $12k for shop. For those on the peninsula the espresso shop is located on the corner on north Coho and the Sterling highway, just south of the Kasilof river.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default more pics

Rustic but usable
    Frank
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default more pics2

small and fully utilized
    Frank
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Lumber

Very nice cabins.Just curious how you keep the 6x6's from twisting.Are they stacked with coil rod going through them and ajustment bolts, or very dry material.Any of that material our yards have is KD, but still pretty green.GR

They are put together with 10" Timberlock screws every 2 feet and doubled in the corners, they are cut from standing dead spruce trees (Spruce bark beetle killed) so there pretty dry.
    Frank
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Very neat Frank!

Very neat Frank! My add-on would be a 3 foot utility porch, semi enclosed, by extending the roof. Your guests could store gear and tackle. Just a thought.

Good job indeed!

Gord
    "He was a man of no patience, you could see it in him. That was a notch against him. In the wild country, a body needs patience".

These pics are a few years old, I have since added a 10 x 20 covered area to the right side, its has a BarBQ and holds 3 freezers + 2 smokers and a table.
    Frank
    www.wildroselodge.com

Sweet little cabin.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?