Thread: Naked Island report.

Default Naked Island report.

Ok, I'm back from my first trip deer hunting up here in Alaska. Here is how it went. It left Whitter around 10 am. water wasn't bad about a foot all the way to Decision point. Once we hit there we were greeted by several dolphins. They followed us out about a 1/4 mile then left. Why? Well that is when we hit 5-6 foot seas. The were rolling waves which wasn't the bad part. The bad part was they were short and coming from three different ways. I could see about a mile ahead the seas calmed down. We made it through it and continued between culross pt and Perry Island. Once I came around Perry and made it to Lone island the seas picked up to 4 ft. not bad. Finally we made it to Naked island. it took us about 3.5 hours to get there. Once there we noticed right away there was no snow on Naked island or any island around us. We knew it was going to be hard now with no snow. Once we got the boat squared away went out for a evening hunt. We 3 split up in hopes one of us would get a crack on a deer. Right away I notices it was warm. I compared it to a mid may day spring black bear hunting. There were bushes that had green buds on them and some plant sprouting from the ground.
    My game plan was to go straight to the top and see what I could from there and slowly make my way back down. I did not see no sign of deer until half way up. Once up I could see some very nice fields that I decided to work my way to. on the way down I went into the woods and quickly realized it was way to thick to stalk up on a deer inside the woods. Also with all the small bushes in there it was very hard to go through there without making any noise. As sun set we all met up back at the beach and none of us saw a single deer.

DAY 2.. We started hunting around 9am and planed on to hunt until noon. Once again we split up. Right from the start we saw allot of tracks. there was frost on the ground so it was very easy to tell what was fresh. I start up the mountain decided would only go half way since I had to be back by noon. On the way up I saw a very nice size tracks and decided to follow them in hopes I could sneak up to it. I followed the tracks for about 1/4 then the went into the woods and it was over for that. So I continued to walk around and found a field with allot of tracks so I got set up and start to call. I did this for about a half an hour and nothing. Around 10:30 I heard a shot. then another. This got my blood going. I had my fingers crossed. Man I could not wait to get back to the beach to see if one of the other guy got a deer. Well noon came and I did not see anything. My and my friend were on the beach waiting for my our friend to show up so we could leave. then a few minutes later here he is dragging a nice buck. Well to make it short the ride home only took us 1.5 to get back. Seas were pretty much flat. So all in all it was a learning experience. Next year I just hope there will be snow on the islands.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    The bad part was they were short and coming from three different ways.
    Gary, I know exactly what you're talking about. My wife and I had a pretty nasty experience in the same spot two summers ago. 6-7 foot short, steep waves coming from three different directions. I knew that ultimately we were safe, but my wife still shakes when she remembers that little excursion. At an average speed of 4 knots, it took us a while to get out of it!

Glad to hear that you guys took one deer and that you learned a little about that island. I'm hoping to hunt Naked Island next August, and possibly again in November if my work schedule allows next year. Anyhow, thanks for sharing the report!

I knew we were going to be ok but the thing I did not like was once I hit on wave I would have water on the window so I could not see the next one coming. We took it about the same speed as you. We never got worried just our backs were very sore the next day.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm pumped up about hunting blacktail here. It seems they are a little less keen than whitetail and there is a bit of a different approach to hunting them. I hope to make a trip of it next year and have my brother join me. We always have a great time no matter what the outcome.

Thanks for posting the report!

My friend said he saw some really fresh tracks and decided he would follow them. A few yards he came up on a saddle and slowly peaked over it and lord and behold there was this buck standing there looking at him. He said there was a few branches in the way but would get a shot off. The first shot hit it's mark but the deer did not run or anything. It was walking away. Second shot missed but by this time it deer started to buckle.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Charterboat Operator

Nice buck for a quicky trip, sonds like the only thing you missed was the rain. congats to your buddy.

Default nice...

congrats on the deer. What kind of boat were you guys in?

very nice deer for out there.congrats
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Going out tomorrow

Alaska Grey,

Thanks for the report. That is a nice buck for the area. We are going out tomorrow and I will pass on how we do. I was hoping there would be more snow on the ground, but.....it's also nice to camp in 30 above then 10 below!

Default Congrats!!!!

Good Job, yeah, you just got a slow down a bit when you get into the rough stuff. Last two trips out I was hitting some pretty confusing seas, especially around points. Saw deer tracks less than 20 miles out of Whittier, I might have to go for a hike this weekend. AH

Glad to hear you had a good trip. My buddy and I went out for 6 days and got 4 deer a piece. Took us a few days to figure out where they were and then we got some really nice weather and that made all the differnce in deer movement.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Nice to see a hunter still shooting a Model 94.

Default 30-30

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    Nice to see a hunter still shooting a Model 94.
    I agree! I have a model 94 and have often dreamed of taking a black tail with it. The only problem is that there are big brown fuzzballs with claws and teeth that seem to live in the same areas. My dad took many deer with that rifle and passed it down to me. It was my first center fire and one of my most cherished possessions.

Default 454 casull

Hi guys. This is my first post. I have been sitting on the side watching for a while and this seems like a great site. Anyway, the rifle in the picture is acrually a m 92 clone by rossi in 454 casull. 300 grain bullet at about 2100 fps. Not real worried about the big brown fuzzies. Holds 10