Thread: 20 ga slugs and story

Default 20 ga slugs and story

A while back I asked for information related to slugs, sabots, and shotguns. You folks helped a lot. Well, I set up that Win 1300 w/truglo sights and a rifled choke tube, got it to shoot pretty well, and my daughter and I headed south with it. When we got there, a Rem 1100 20 ga w/ scope was waiting for her to try. It shot sweet w/ Lightfield sabots and with the ability to shoot in darker conditions we chose it over the winnie.
    I was impressed enough in the final outcome that now I would not hesitate to take a youngster (or oldster) hunting here in AK with a slug gun for something like black bear over bait or other animals that we could get in close.
    Yes, Kelly did score on a whitetail deer in the last minute of the last day of our MI hunt. The shot was with the doe facing forward at an angle. The sabot entered the left front shoulder, took out the top of the heart, broke about 2" of ribs out of the right side, and ended up back by the liver. The shot taken was at about 14 yards. The deer, while dead on its feet, still managed to travel close to 60 yards before falling.
    I was proud of my girl. She hunted hard and long, from dark to dark for 7 days in the cold, wind and rain. I'll talk more about her hunt in the general discussion, but just wanted to let you guys know in the shooting forum about our success with the 20ga setup. Thanks again!

Default Ak River Rat

Ak River Rat: Slugs will easy harvest black bears and other game here in Alaska. Within it's limitations. I can't remember how many deer I have harvested with slugs. But I caution you the there is a big difference in slug quality out there.

I remember one fall as my boy and I were readying for open day of shotgun in New York. He handed me a brand new brand XXX slug to show me. The Foster style slug was loaded sideways into the case.

Traditional Fosters are probably too soft for most Alaskan game animals. A good quality slug like the Lightfield, Dixie and Brenneke's will certainly do the job. But not all shotguns will be as accurate with all slugs. Best to buy a five round box and try five rounds of each brand. Then select the best and fine tune your shooting.

Good luck. The slug will certainly do the job within it's limitations.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default correct

You are right about that Dave. As bullets are different, so are slugs and sabots. You guys gave me a good education on the differences earlier. The foster styles we tried out first with a smooth barrel did not give very good results.
    Later, I tried winchester sabots with the rifled choke tube and ended up with a 2" 3 shot group at 60 yards. I was lucky as I had found a great deal on the sabots so got to shoot a lot of them to get dialed in and did not break the bank doing so.
    The Lightfields were a sabot of choice in MI with the people I was with. The one I retrieved out of the doe was mostly intact and evenly mushroomed. I was surprised it did not exit even though it did completely break the front shoulder and did substantial damage to the offside ribcage.
    One of the things I was thinking about is that I have the Winnie w/ a youth stock, so it would be a great choice for a young or small framed hunter to get them started on big game. As I never grew up using slugs like a lot of you, this was all totally new to me, and exciting I might add. Slugs might seem basic or old hat to some, but it was fun going to the range with my daughter and testing the loads.
    I was warned by many to pass on the 3" Brenneke sabots as being to hard on the shooters, especially youngsters. From what I saw on Kelly's deer, and the results of other hunter's shots, the 2 3/4" are very good and dependable.
    I am hoping my daughter starts shooting her bow again, but if not, would not hesitate to let her use the 20ga if she wanted to take a bear over bait at close range.