Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Raider boats anyone?

Question Sea Raider boats anyone?

A buddy of mine is looking for anyone who owns or has seen/ridden on these boats, considering buying and trying to get more information. Trying to compare them with the Hewescraft line, looking at a 24' cuddy in WA for 65k with a single 225 Honda. Anyone have experience with them or shipping methods/cost? Any and all info appreciated. Thanks fellas.
    Cody

My understanding is the builder used to work for Hewescraft and split off about 10-12 years ago. It makes sense, they look very similar. I believe that the factories are within a few miles of each other, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default true

They do look a lot a like so that rings true. We tried calling Dewey's today at 4:00, apparently they are only open Tue-Thur 9-5, and still didn't answer? haha Still need to price out the hewey's. Good lookin boats though.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Default Welding quality

Take a look at the quality of the welds I did and crossed them off my list. It is too bad I like the lines of their boats.

Here is a discussion from another site with pictures.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...t=raider+boats

Default yuck!

them are some nasty lookin welds in that thread!

My uncle is a dealer for Raiders here in Juneau.

We've sold quite a few of them down here, though they havent caught on in popularity like the hewescraft - Not many people have heard of Raiders, though I think they're top notch boats after taking quite a few out. The most popular size is the 24' Sea Raider....Nice running boats...

Also note - This next winter I'll be buying an 18' raider, would love to go bigger, but cant afford it on my budget :P

Default Interesting...

The guy on that other thread gave a big thumb's down on his 26' raider and others of course said they liked them. Good stuff though, this is the kind of info we're looking for. OneLung you say your uncle has a dealership, does he have a website or anything? I am curious about those welds...I also noted the hewescraft is 600 lbs heavier....heavier duty is what it says to me.

Onelung have you been out on the bigger boats, have friends that own them? How are they holding up?

He hasnt had a single boat come back with problems yet.

Biggest I've been on is the 24' Sea Raider and they ride really nice...I've been nothing but impressed..

As far as the welds go.....I havent seen anything poor about them that stands out to me....all the welds seemed neatly done....Sometimes lemons do happen, maybe thats the case with that 26'....

He doesnt have a website, but I could pm you his info if your curious...

Default Searaider 22

I owned a 2000 Searaider 22' with a 150 saltwater Merc for almost 4 years. It was a good bay boat and we took it out of Seward mostly and ventured out as far as Cape Puget (on a good day). My boat was very similar to the Hewes 22 with a little less refinement. Easy to trailer and fairly low maintenance. My version did not have an extended transom, so deck space in back was limited and the hardtop was nice to get out of the weather. When I went to trade up, the local dealer had it sold before I took delivery of the new boat. The only maintenance issue I encountered was where the steel bow lights attached to the aluminum hull, some paint bubbling, corrosion getting started, they should have put some kind of plastic gasket between the dissimilar metals. All in all, a good boat, seaworthy with few problems.

Default thanks ocnfish

appreciate the feedback!

Cody

p.s. what's your new boat? like it?

Just pulled the trigger on a new Raider 185 Pro-Fisherman with extended transom.

Would have loved somthing bigger, but seeing as I am just getting married, cant afford anything larger. Got a screaming deal however. Cant wait for it to arrive.

Default Boat

Dang well better have gotten a good deal since your uncle owns the bus'! lol congrats

Hi Cody

I wanted something that the family could over night in so we traided up to a 2003 Osprey 26 Long Cabin. It had sat on the lot at AK Mining & Diving for over a year and they just wanted it off the lot so I got it for a used boat price. Unfortuately, I had them outfit the boat and have had to redo most of what they installed. I would probably bye new from them but I would not go back for maintenance or upgrades.

The Osprey is heavy but not slow, we can cruse at 30 in 3 foot seas, she has a top speed of 42.5 on gps. In rugh stuff, 5 to 7 foot seas, we see about 20 mph with trim and lower unit all the way down. Range is about 400 miles with 150 gal of gas, it has a 5.7 gm/volvo with duo prop outdrive.

Everybody, is happy with it but we nolonger water ski in Wasilla Lake. The Raider was both a bay and lake boat.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    Dang well better have gotten a good deal since your uncle owns the bus'! lol congrats

Got a screamin deal

Default Raider

I was a die hard Hewes owner. I slowly went from 18 ft, 19ft, 21ft soft to hard tops. I traded into a 24ft SEA RIADER two seasons ago. Have not had anything wrong except one wiper motor went out and the owner of Raider in Washington sent me another overnight at no cost. My welds are great. I made over 30 trips out of Whittier last season alone. All the way to Montague several times. It takes big water just fine. I love mine.
    I have the 225 Honda pushing it. I DO NOT LIKE Honda's Warranty service at all. I'll NEVER own another HONDA. They run great, but they don't take responsibility for obvious defects.
    I had a 9.9 break off and fall in the water with less than one season and less than 10 hours on it. I had video and still pictures of the motor being properly supported while both trailering and cruising with the big moto. They called me a liar and said I hit something. I showed how I would have had to take out the big motor to hit the small one and they still refused to warranty it.
    My 225 blew up the lower unit last year and I was there when The mechanic pulled it and told me the lube was fine and the unit had not sustained any outside damage. He stated that he was sure it was going to be covered. Honda responded back that it had to be an impact strike and refused to repair it.
    I didn't mean to get on here with sour grapes, but beware if you expect your warranty to be valid on any legitimate repairs.

I have overnighted in mine, and it's fine there also.

Default hondas

That's pretty dissapointing to hear, I've always thought they were pretty good motors but...dang.

I'd just as soon power with yamaha's though, I've always been impressed with them. My old man has a 150proV yamaha he bought new in 88' for his crestliner and it still purrs, almost 20 years old and runnin strong. I appreciate the info, the search, and research, continues...thanks again.
    Cody

If your really interrested in a Raider - I can get a quote for you on whichever model you want (with Mercury power)

Just PM me with what your looking for...

If you want to take a look at my 24' Searaider with a soft back instead of the solid doors, give me a shout. It's easy to get to, no snow and all.
    I,m in East Anchorage. Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast