Thread: Twenty mile river

Default Twenty mile river

How far up the Twenty Mile River could a person get with a 14 foot Zodiac and a 30 horse prop. To make sure of the river, the one at the end of turnagain arm.

Mark

I went up to the forks in the fall of 2005 with a Zodiac Mark II and a 25hp shortshaft. I might have been able to go a bit farther, but we'd seen all we needed to see at that point.

Default Depends on river level

All depends on the river level, which can easilly change by 2 to 3 feet a day on 20-mile. Go to "Pacific River Forecast Center" on the web to access stream gage data for 20-mile and other rivers.

In my experience anything less than 19 gage feet on 20 mile requires careful driving for a jet boat or mud-motor boat. At over 20 gage feet anybody can run to the forks with a prop as long as you have a shallow draft boat hull...........No deep-water high angle deadrise hulls!

The best fishing seems to be after the rain stops and the river drops back to 18 or 19 gage feet.

Handy site Tito.
    One more in the already bulging favorites folders.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Mark

I'll add that the day we went up there in Sept '05 the water must have been high, because there were a pod of several belugas well over a mile upstream from the highway/RR bridges.

Default The Forks

How far up river are the forks, and with the boat I mentioned could you pick your way any further past the forks. Thanks for the link on river levels.

If your careful and the water is high you could possibly make it up to the posted markers on 20 mile and Glacier. I doubt you will get farther than those two points though. Personally, I've been very close to the head waters of upper 20 mile. I haven't made the trip to Carmen Lake, that section puts the grimm reaper on my shoulder. But, man, it's beautiful country up there. I'm heading up there tomorrow morning with tjm. It's another "one last trip and put the boat away" kinda deals Im sure there will be plenty of posted pics.

I wouldn't take a prop much farther than the first fork unless the river is way up. if it is really high the you could get to the carmen/ glacier fork, I wouldn't want to take a prop past there. Be careful through the log jam especially on the way back down, have seen a few boats go down there. The twenty mile is a great river, carmen and glacier forks require a little atention when navigating them

Default Twenty Mile.

Quote Originally Posted by FB Don View Post
    How far up the Twenty Mile River could a person get with a 14 foot Zodiac and a 30 horse prop. To make sure of the river, the one at the end of turnagain arm.
    With a 20HP Jet on an Alaskan Jet Ranger inflatable you can make it all the way to the Glacier.

How about with my "Mokai" Anybody have any idea how far I can get? I have to assume it has been tried.