Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got bit by the scope...

Default Finally got bit by the scope...

Well went out today to shoot the 7 mag, touched off three rounds and on my fourth one it caught me just enough to make me bleed. I have never had that happen to me before, and it didn't hurt or anything but boy was I embarrassed especially since I had to go pick up my hunting buddy from the airport in 15 minutes. Thankfully it had stopped bleeding so I didn't have to wear the dorky peach colored bandaid into the airport, but I still felt like a dork.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Well went out today to shoot the 7 mag, touched off three rounds and on my fourth one it caught me just enough to make me bleed. I have never had that happen to me before, and it didn't hurt or anything but boy was I embarrassed especially since I had to go pick up my hunting buddy from the airport in 15 minutes. Thankfully it had stopped bleeding so I didn't have to wear the dorky peach colored bandaid into the airport, but I still felt like a dork.
    I have yet to experience this particular pleasure... (knock on wood). Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post

Been there, done that, same gun. I tell people the scar is from a bar fight.

Unfortunately for me, mine was recorded and I didn't know it until I saw the pictures. Partner just neglected to mention it while taking the pics.

Now the hard part- figuring out why it happened so it doesn't happen again. Sounds like it was a one-time deal with no other problems from the same gun, so it probably had lots to do with how you were holding it.

I kinda enjoy the suprised looks on the faces of guys who spend too much time on the bench rest and not enough shooting from field positions. It's really easy to scope yourself when shooting prone on rough ground or using your pack as an improvised rest. And I'm talking about relatively mild calibers like 06 and 308's, not just mags.

So, why did it bite you all of a sudden?

Do strangers walk up to you on the street and say, "Got a Weatherby, huh?"

Default My bite...

came from using a rusty old kitchen chair with a jacket on top as a rest and using another rusty old kitchen chair to sit on. On top of that my 7mag has only a hard plastic buttplate and I was wearing a rain-slickend windbreaker. If there was a picture of that it would be on the cover of the new best seller "How to Not Shoot Safely".

I actually got two accurate rounds off before the third shot caused the butt to slip into my armpit and the scope put a perfect half circle into my forehead.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Unfortunately for me, mine was recorded and I didn't know it until I saw the pictures. Partner just neglected to mention it while taking the pics.....
    Beautiful photo! I'd never have noticed cause I'd be looking at the goat.

I've been bitten once at the range. 300 WinMag.

Shoot enough, and it will happen eventually.

Owwwwwww!

I can feel your pain. Don't ask me how I got the assortment of scars and knots on my head.......

Default scope bite

Ouch, knock on woods I have not gotten bitten yet. Which shocks me for as many years as I have been shooting but I know sooner or later I will join the hall of fame with you guys.

I've been lucky so far(knock on wood), but my 10y old son did get to feel the scope across his nose bridge a few years ago while shooting my .223. He has shot quite a bit this past summer/fall with his .22/250 and has managed it well now to where he won't get hit anymore.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default First time...

First time was a 7mm Rem Mag 110 Savage. One of the older ones with the really nasty stock, and a cheap scope with NO eye relief. Going across the hood of the truck.
    Second time was bench shooting a newly built .375 H&H that I couldn't wait to get to the range, so threw yet another scope with no eye relief onto. That one left a scar!
    Third time was with yet another .375 from the very same bench at the very same range. It too scarred lightly, actually crossed the first one, and left what looks sorta like one of the Saturn automobile logos right between my eyes.
    Best one I seen was a kid who was in my son's company at Ft. Rich. Claimed he could handle ANYTHING made to be fired from the shoulder....uh huh.....he was still whinin' about the headache from that .375 thumpin' between the eyes two days later!
    I truly think that what hurts more is one of the older style Smith & Wesson cylinder latches opening up my thumb when I turn a 300 gr. .44 bullet loose.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 11-28-2007 at 12:28. Reason: .

i've got a .416 that s6.25lbs with a 13" lop made for my short arms, clients always want to shoot it and try it out.
    i scored on four foreheads this season, talk about bustin' a gut. you tell them up and down, hang on, lean back...bleed!!! then they get this suprised look every time, cracks me up.
    long arms don't work on a short gun!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I got my 7mm ported at Wild West Guns. The first time I shot it before it was ported I just couldn't believe it. It felt like a mule was kicking me. I'm a small guy, about 145, and I didn't have any experience with anything bigger than a 22 before.

Now it is more of a gradual push back. Makes a day and night difference.

Default Scoped

The only time I had that happen was shooting my Sako 375 Wby. from the bench using a Burris Scope. It hit me so hard I acutally saw the stars the comic books used to show. I changed the scope for a Leop. 1.5 x 5 and put the Burris on a 270. No problem since then. Welcome to the club!

Talking 7mm mag

Don't know the exact reasons...maybe stock design, but thru the years, most shooters that I've known, have gotten bit by the 7mm mag. What do you folks think is the most prevelant culprit? And the more powerful the gun is, it seems to happen less...are we just more careful (fear factor)? Food for thought?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've been bitten once at the range. 300 WinMag.
    Same here, but mine was because I was trying different things,did something stupid, and got smacked in the forehead. The really funny thing is when I got home my wife was looking for signs of scope eye and missed the scratch the scope left on my forehead.

And sorry MNViking, but every time I read that story I just have to laugh.
    Chris Willhoite

My buddy back in college always hunted with a 30-30 and got all excited when he shot my win mod 70. Well he immediately wanted to triad up because you all know it is the gun that makes the hunter. lol well we went down and found him a used Win Mod 70 in a 300 Win Mag. he wanted to mount the scope him self and not wait for me to help him out with it. Well he mounted it a little far back, and wouldn’t listen to me when I told him it was going to thump his skull. We went out to some old property to zero it in and I was telling him that the 300 had a bit more kick than the 30-30. Once again Neal new best and wouldn’t take my advice. Well he loaded the gun and got ready to shoot while me and my other buddy Goddard sat back and were waiting for it. Sure enough the first shot. Bam!! Nice half circle from the bridge off his nose along the top of his eye. I couldn’t stop laughing for a while. Neal was screaming that he was blind. haha. He also had a date that night with some chick that he was trying to impress. haha

Whit

After many years I got taged by a lowley 30-06. The bewildered look on my face must have been priceless as I wiped the blood off my face.

But the only shot I had was between the prancehes of a downed tree very close to the ground and I attempted to do it by bending over at the waiste way too far over.

Lesson learned ........I hope.

All I've got to say is even if it is just a 25-06 DON'T hold it like you're holding a cue stick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast