Thread: Good gunsmith in Fairbanks?

Default Good gunsmith in Fairbanks?

I have a 1950 Colt Match Target 22 semi auto that hasn't been shot or cleaned in probably 30 or 40 years. It's in excellent shape but it's pretty gummed up and the clip won't stay in. I am thinking of taking it to a smith to have it completely taken down, cleaned and fixed up. Any ideas of who I should take it too?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

May I recommend to you that the problem you have is easily solved at home?

Find a container that will hold the pistol and a cover that will cover it airtight. Remove the grips, place it without the grips in the container and cover with kerosene and put the lid on it for a month. Keep it in a warm place and your problem is solved.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Really!? After that then what? How do I clean it up after that? I appreciate the tip.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

If you do not feel like using the technique Big Al proposed. You might want to give Gary Junk a call at Arctic Gunworks. He has a website as well and does great work.

Big Al left out the part of removing your weapon after a month blowing or wiping it clean of all solvent then assembling it and testing it. Pretty easy to do as long as you remember how it went together and or have a parts manual with a break down diagram.

Default Bronco

Sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Really!? After that then what? How do I clean it up after that? I appreciate the tip.
    0000 steel wool, soaked in kerosene, scrubbing the surfaces. After this procedure, then you disassemble. Remember you wrote that you could not move the slide? You will be able to take the pistol apart. Finding a diagram for disassemble on-line is not all that difficult. If you can't find the information I will provide you with a link. Failing that I have the diagrams here at the shop and will provide you with a copy by mail if needed. (this ain't rocket science)

The are other ways of getting to the same place you want to go, I just don't know of a cheaper or safer way to do it at home with what you can get easily from the locale stores.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson