Thread: lower kenai in one-man cat

Default lower kenai in one-man cat

I have stayed away from fishing the lower kenai for kings because of the cost of a guide and the crowding. But I would really like a shot at catching a big fresh king.

So, would it be feasible to drift a section of the lower river in a one-man cat? Are there places to get out and cast- from the air it looks like not that many bars? Would I get run over or not have room to get around anchored boats?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Doug

seems to me the only possible way to fish it effectively (or as effectively as you can on the kenai) would be to get a rod holder and back troll or back bounce, not many gravel bars at all. Go on drift only days as to not get run over.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Monday's you could do it. No bars to cast from, you would have to drift, bounce or backtroll. It would be a blast to catch a king that way, but do it on a Monday.

Thumbs up Kings on a Kat

There are some good words on the previous posts...

I have seen a couple of guys fishing kings from a one-man-cat, particularly in the Sunken Island area, however haven't seen any hook-ups yet. I think it would be a hoot.

Here are a few other options:

Fish Centennial to Pillars. There are a few sand bars, rocks or banks where you could anchor or even get out and fish effectively with either conventional gear or fly rod. I am thinking about the slot below the island below Centennial, the deep water below the rock down from the sockeye sonar, Sunken Island and the area around Poachers Cove and the Islands across the river and so on...

I would recommend staying close to the boat though... so when you hook that big one you can jump in and chase it down river. If you happen to drift into a crowd fighting the fish, just be very vocal and let folks know you have a fish on... they will move (always expect the sour apple though).

Likewise, you might consider fishing the middle river. Again there are quite a few hot spots that would work great with a one-man boat, and certainly less crowding. There are plenty of big fish up there as well.... Just pay attention to closed areas and slot limit regulations.

You won't see any anchored boats during king season, but it is possible that you might get run over (doesn't seem to matter if you are in a one-man cat or a 20' Willie, there are loonatics no matter where you go). If I see you, nevertheless, I'll give you a big thumbs up, some encouragement and plenty of space.

Good luck, hope to see you out there...

If you get a section of T-14 and some amnesia shooting line you can backtroll with a fly rod pretty effectively. Give em something different I say... Too bad I'm not around in July, I'd like to give kenai kings on the fly a shot, but alas bristol bay calls...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

It's certainly doable on Mondays, in fact, I've seen it done and want to do it myself. There is basically no dangerous water in that area as long as you use common sense (don't get sideways on a rock, don't run into hanging trees, etc). get an anchor so that you can back bounce, but you'll need to be able to pull anchor when you hook up. Drifting or dragging would also be an effective way to get it done. There are a few bars you could get out on and cast, but it would be pretty ineffective for the most part. The important thing here is that you only go on a Monday.... any other day of the week would be suicide!
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

THanks, guys. I think I'll give it a try. Anchoring those little one-man cats is a little weird, and forget fighting a fish while floating- you can row or fight a fish, but not both- I have tried many times w/ trout. So, I think I'll concentrate on water I can wade and see what happens.

Doug

Default It doesn't work well

Years ago I hooked a big king while anchored on the Kasilof in my one man cat. So the fish is running downstream in a hurry. With one hand you gotta pull your anchor and tie it off. Then try to go down stream holding a rod in one hand and a paddle in the other.

The "kickboaters" will tell you you're supposed to wear fins for steering but if you're doing that, then forget about getting out and wading.

It makes a good story and is pretty funny for anyone around you watching. Just didn't work.

Not to mention, there's a lot of traffic on the Kenai and you're just a little waterbug.

I agree with doug. I have a 2 man that the wife and I use on the upper and i dont fish while on the oars. To much trouble for me and the risk of equipment and my wife and I if I do hook up with a bow or red even it just to much. Things just happen way to fast on the water. I do think it would be one wild ride to hook a king on a single raft. If anyone ever sees it happen i hope they have a video cam with them to share it with us all. Good luck Doug and let us know how it works out
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

fins are the way to go... the lower river is slow enough that you can get yourself out of trouble with fins w/o a problem, especially around the high tide. that's what i'd do because you're right, attempting to row and fight a fish would be rediculous.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.