Thread: Who has beetles in the valley?

Default Who has beetles in the valley?

I got a skull that needs cleaned and I want to use the beetle approach. Any help on this? I'd appreciate it!

Default Beetles

I was researching this awhile back, called a taxidermy friend of mine and said the University is the only place because they ar so dangerous to use.. I guess if they get out it could be a taxidermist's nightmare ruining all the mounts.. supposedly they are very hard to contain and the university almost lost its whole mount display due to beetles?? dot know if true or not just what I heard.. I was looking at doing some caribou skulls and my taxidermy friend suggested bleach.. said you have to be careful because it can ruin the scull.. but very effective, went into detail about how critical cleaning out the scull was to success of the whole operation..

Anyways, maybe call the university..
    Dave

Default I got bugs

I have a colony of dermisteed beetels that i started a little over 2 years ago. I clean all my skulls from trapping this way and have cleaned over 100 skulls so far . I can only clean skull up to a mule deer size for now untill i build a larger incloser. Im in anchorage but will give you a fair price to clean your skull. If you are interested i can send you some pics of what i have done. Just PM me with your phone number .

Thanks
    AKpredator
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Quote Originally Posted by akpredator
    I have a colony of dermisteed beetels that i started a little over 2 years ago. I clean all my skulls from trapping this way and have cleaned over 100 skulls so far . I can only clean skull up to a mule deer size for now untill i build a larger incloser. Im in anchorage but will give you a fair price to clean your skull. If you are interested i can send you some pics of what i have done. Just PM me with your phone number .

Thanks
    AKpredator
    The skull I have that needs cleaned is from a Kodiak brown bear.

Matt, I sent you a Private message with my number and some pics . Here are some skulls from last trapping season

and here is a mule deer i did for my dad that came out realy nice

AKpredator
    Last edited by akpredator; 07-18-2006 at 17:17.
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

I sent you a pm. Thanks.

Curious, after the beetle treatment, do you use bleach to get that white?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.