Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gun Scope Suggestions

Default New Gun Scope Suggestions

I recently purchased the Remington 700 SPS Varmint Special in .204 Cal and I can't quite decide on what scope to put on it. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I love to shoot at the range (300yds max), would also love to rabbit hunt (set-up at the right location, sit and ambush from long distance). Sounds boring to most but very tranquill and relaxing to me.

Anyways let me know your thoughts, high end and low end on the scope spectum.

Default Ziess

I have owned three high end leupold scopes from a 1.5x5 to a VX-L 4.5x14x56 long range and now I bought a zeiss. I will never own another Leupold. Im sure there are other great ones out there but for now im sticking with zeiss. Nikon also makes a great scope for the money.

Default scope

I just bought a new leupold vxiii 4.5-14x50mm and love it. cannot beat there warrenty either

I knew i would get plenty of people who love there leupolds. I loved mine too till i held them side by side and it look like you were wearing sun glasses through the leupold. just my opinion though. the zeiss is not much more money and far better scope in my eyes

I've got a Burris Signature series 6-24x on my T/C Encore .223 for predators. It is a great setup and kind of midrange on pricing (just under $600 most places).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I prefer my mid-grade Loopy over my higher end nikon monark. It just looks and feels like a better scope, even though it isnt near the magnification (6 1/2-20 N vs. 3-9 L). DO NOT PICK UP A ZEISS!!!! After you look through one you'll start replacing all your scopes. They are a fine piece.
    Good luck on your choice!

KAHLES - my 2 cents

$1600 scope for $800 price

Mine have performed flawlessly

Default which one..

I have used quite a number of Leupold in Vari-X III and recently started using the new VX-II and VX-III line. They are pretty hard to beat. Lately though I have been taking a hard look at the Nikon Monarch Gold and Zeiss Conquest line. These two lines seem to be some serious built scopes and I hope to try one of these some time in the future. Give any of these three products a try is my recommedation.

I currently own a VXIII, Nikon buckmaster, Ziess Conquest. Without question the ziess is the best of them. The Nikon is second, and the Leuphold last. I like the Mil-Dot on the Nikon, and their warranty is every bit the equal to the Leuphold.

I seem to like the 4.5-14 range for longer stuff (or smaller targets as the case may be), and 3-9 or 3.5-10ish for most big game stuff. The Nikon has no trouble picking out a squirrels head at 100yds, and thats 4.5-14.

Also, in my experience, the higher you go on magnification, the more you need to spend on the glass to get the clarity needed to utilize the magnification level.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

I'm so pleased with these Sightron scopes, that I will not recommend any other scope (unless you have a couple grand to blow). I will never buy another Leupold until they fix the problems with the erector tube adjustments. Not one of the other manufactures mentioned above has the problem solved like Sightron. Nightforce only comes close, but they stole their solution from a guy that has been doing it to Leupold scopes for years.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

+1 Sightron, Or a Bushnell 4200 in 4x16 that way you still have a lower power setting. My Rock Chuck gun at home has a VX-III 6.5x20 that has never been on 20 power for a shot on game but I look for a lower power every 10th. shot it seems.

Great input from everybody. I've looked at most all of the scopes recommended and I have to say, after a while one does get confused with all of the specs to look at. I know for me it will come down to what scope I can get my hands on and look through before commiting to buying it. Reticle choice and clarity are my top concerns. I'm also struggling with spending more money on the scope than I did on the gun itself. Right now I have a POS mounted on it for my barrel break-in effort. Once I'm done with that, I'll start to seriously look for the right scope to mount on it.

Just to add to the confusion, I will give you this link for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/scoping_out.htm
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Burris or Weaver...

I suggest Burris to anyone for everything. Incredible scopes and customer service. Lifetime "unconditional" warranty. But I got a Weaver 4x16 last year and it is a very nice scope that would do well for your application. Here is a link to it on Midway USA.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...447&t=11082005

I've got the 6x24 Burris on a 22-250 and a 6.5x20 Leupold on a 223. Both are great for fine range work and small varmints at long range. If you're planning on sniping hares, I'd make sure whichever you chose has an adjustable objective. With that level of magnification, shorter range shooting will be greatly improved with an AO.

But truth be known, for 100 yard hare headshots almost anything in the 9-10x range is going to be ample. Sticking tiny holes close together in paper is helped by more power, but with the right target you can get by with that same 9-10x max.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Just to add to the confusion, I will give you this link for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/scoping_out.htm
    Thanks BA!!! Although be it interesting reading and very informative from one persons view point, it actually did narrow the field down some for me. I will now focuse my search down to a field of 4 different brands. Once I get my hands on them and actually see through the scopes I hope to narrow it down further.

I have a burris FFII in 4.5-14x42 on my 22-250AI. Outstanding scope for the money. I have owned Leupold scopes for everything, but now I will use nothing but burris.

I vote for the Burris too. Now you can use the models with posilok as if they didn't have it. They have the posts AND springs for the reticle tube. Best of both worlds I guess.

Default Agree....

Can't beat a Burris! Check them out if you are not familiar with them. Best warranty and customer service I have ever seen.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I always struggle with scope purchases............ I really find it difficult to send as much or more on the optics as I have on the rife. I guess, in this case do as I say, and not as I do...........spend as much as you can and get the best avaliable.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast