Thread: wtb upland gun

Default wtb upland gun

I want to get back into upland hunting. I ckd out a couple gun shops and the 20 ga s by s i was shown were made in the ck replublic, Turkey, Japan. Cheap labor I quest?

I have a couple guns I may be willing to trade, older 350 Remington mag, short barrel, laminated stock vented rib and/or a 22 ruger auto pitol and other possiblities.. I did not want to pay a $1000.00 dollars for a gun. I am not interested in anything fancy, just a good shooter. Any sugestions ?

I guess Im confused. Do you not want a gun made in a different country?

I have a stoeger uplander 20 guage SxS. Its been a really good gun this last few years. Its brazillian made though. But its hard to touch a side by for under 400 bucks.

I hear the remington spartans are nice. They are Baikals I believe. Made in russia.

Maybe look for an old stevens on an auction sight.

And if you are not commited to the whole double barrel thing, There is alot of pumps out there in the 500 dollar range

If you want an inexpensive shotgun that shoots good, is rugged, and wont break the bank: Remington 870 pump any way you want it. Blued/wood, stainless/synthetic, long, short, 3", 3 1/2", and my favorite- the XCS, just cuz its got some kind of treatment to the barrel that helps in water/corrosion resistant.
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_870_XCS.asp

Browning's Pump is a very nice piece of work as well, and its around $500.

As far "real" upland guns, i.e. over/under's... you'll spend over $1000 for a decent gun. The question is, do you want a gun to hunt a few seasons and trade off for another new one? Or do you want a gun you can hunt the rest of your life with, hand it down, and your grandkid wont wear it out? I am biased to the Rugers, especially the stainless/synthetic. The ergonomics just fit me better. But there are several companies out there that make very nice upland guns for a little more than $1k, but also under $1500.

(just for the record, I do not own a "nice" upland gun, but I would like to. I shoot a Remington 870 pump, and it out-shoots my buddy'ss Benelli pump all day long. )

Go to the gun store and tell him you want to see all the guns in price range "X" and pick them up, feel them, shake them, shoulder them (even with your eyes closed) feel the controls and actually compare the guns to you and your fit and style.

Good luck on your choice and good luck in the field!

Default Stoeger 2000

Check out the Stoeger 2000 semi auto. It is a nice gun, very reliable and you can buy one brand new for 350 bucks.

If you want a two-holer, I would't know anything about it. Otherwise, find a used Benelli. A SBE if you want 3.5" chamber, or an M1 if you don't need that. THERE IS NO BETTER SEMI-AUTO OUT THERE. Though many say Beretta makes one just as good (and they carry the same price tag). For a pump, stick with an 870 or 500. The benelli nova isn't all it was cracked up to be.

I use my shotguns hard. I have wore out a remmington 1187 super mag, and a 20 ga mossberg 500 (used when I got the 500). My dad wore out an 870, but in all fairness it did take 25+ seasons. I have yet to see a benelli used up. Good luck.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

Remington 870 or 1100 special field if you can find one. No better upland gun in the world IMO. I love the straight enlish stock.

I can understand if you're hooked on using a double. I've got the Remington Spartan in 20 gauge, and though it's not as well finished as a gun costing twice as much, it is nonetheless well conceived for your uses. The interchangeable chokes are a nice touch in that price range. It handles and points fast and well.

If you hunt around, you're likely to find a used Savage/Stevens side-by-side in 20 gauge in a similar price range. These tend to be a little smoother feeling when you open and close them, but no more fancy or smooth in overall finish. Double triggers and fixed chokes are typical. I've got one of those too, but I don't like its handling as well due to its gawdawful beavertail forend. Haven't got around to hacking that down to a more traditional splinter forend such as on the Spartan, and it won't get as much use as the Spartan until I do.

I've also got a Stoeger over-and-under in that price range, but it feels really clubby to me. It feels so much like a 12 gauge in handling that it might as well be one. I was ready to dump it, but my son-in-law likes it specifically because it feels like a 12, so the thing is likely to stay in his rack forevermore.

Other over/unders from Ruger, Winchester and Beretta have been through the house, but I only hung onto the Ruger Red Label and an obscure Winchester called a 96. It's basically a plain-Jane 101, and handles just as well. If you ever saw one of those, it might be in the price range you're considering, but if country of origin bothers you, it's Japanese. The Beretta didn't feel as "good" in my hands as either the Ruger or the Winnie 96, so I dumped it rather than have so much money tied up in a safe queen.

If I was getting a pump or auto for pure upland use, there's no question that I would get the Browning pump in 28 gauge. It's light and fast, and one of my hunting pards does great work with his. I've got a Ruger Red Label in 28 already, so I never picked up a Browning, though.

Another possibility from the used gun rack would be an Ithica Model 37 Featherlight or Ultrafeatherlight in 20. I used to have both, but let the Featherlight go because it was a bit heavier while offering no advantage over the Ultra. While only 2 3/4" chambered, the Ultra has a 24 or 26" barrel and weighs only 5 1/2 pounds or so. It's a downright dandy for upland work.

Sort through all that, and you'll see that there are opportunities to save some money while getting good quality on used gun racks. 870's are fine, but if you can find one of those Ultrafeatherlight Ithicas, they make the 870 feel like a club. I bought my daughter a youth model 870 in 20, and it was so rough handling and cycling that she has taken over my Ithica lately. Benelli autos are very light and fast but probably out of your price league. I've only got the Benelli in 12 (Super Black Eagle), but friends with 20's count them among their favorite guns. Beretta autos (380?) are so similar I would throw them in the same boat.

Brownbear, you mentioned youth models, so I thought I would add something. I used a youth model 1100 20 gauge for grouse hunting a fair amount until I got the new Benelli (SBEII). It is a sweet handling gun, but is a little on the heavy side for a 20, and is VERY picky about shells. I got my first 1100 when I was 2 years old, and started using it when I turned 14. The high polished wood and blueing got pretty beat up, but besides being heavy, was a nice gun. The 20 won't cycle anything to light, and like ALL the 1100s or 1187s I have had or borrowed, it needs to be kept spotless on the inside or it will jam. If you go with a Remington, plan on cleaning it everyday or getting so pissed of when it jams that you say f-it and trade it in on something else. 2 of the 1100s are still around, but have evolved to deer (slug) guns.

For a couple seasons, when all I had was a 2.75" gun, I used my grampas Ithica for goose hunting (3") and really liked that gun. It was to fancy for my tastes, however. I don't want to worry about every scratch and ding on the gun.
    Good luck, let us know what you decide.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

I don't really care where the gun is made. I am old school and have not stayed up with guns today. What I want is something I can pass on to my children and will last. Thanks for your advice and please let me know more. I guest I may have to raise my price limit unless I do find.
    something used in good condition.

Jim 355-2722

Default Hows about a wingmaster...

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...wingmaster.asp

Since you want something that will last forever and is nice enough to hand down to future generations, I think this gun fits the bill.

Its a pump, but gosh darn its a beautiful gun that will function no matter what.

Your choices are fairly limited as far as finding an inexpensive SxS. There's the Stoeger, but they look like crap imo. If you're willing to go up in price to the CZ (made by Huglu in Turkey) they're very nice for the price. You can get single or double triggers, english or POW grip, and 26 or 28" barrels. Check out the "Bobwhite" or the "Ringneck." Check them out on Gunbroker. I just saw a new bobwhite on there selling for under $550! I've shot the bobwhite in 28 ga and liked it a lot. I'd have to get used to the double triggers on that model though. Oh, you can get CZ side-bys in 12, 16, 28, and .410. They also make a decent O/U.

Default Remington 870

Hi Jim,

If you're in the Anchorage area, I've got a Remington 870 Express that I'm looking to sell. It's about 20 years old, but in great shape considering it's age. Multiple choke tubes and some upgrades as well. Never missed a shot, except once or twice and I'm thinking that was likely due to operator error and not a problem with the gun. Give me a call if you're interested.

Tom
    344-3360

I am looking for a S S but I am considering your 870. What is your price.

Jim @ 355-2722