Thread: Taylor Hwy Caribou Hunt

Default Taylor Hwy Caribou Hunt

Does anyone know how the conditions on the Taylor hwy are?

Default Better check before coming..

F&G yesterday said that the State Tayor Hwy 40 Mile caribou hunt will only be saturday beginnng at mile 60. Yeah a one dayer it sounds like. But the roads are fine..

From what I hear you will need 4x4 and most likely a snowmachine for the taylor. Lots of snow and not too many people have made it in much further then 50-60 miles

Default Road Conditions

The road is snow machine mostly after mile 50 (10 miles less than the hunt start). Pulling a trailer is REAL iffy so if you can get a machine in the bed of your truck good luck up there. We decided not to go on the road report.

Default anyone going?

So is anyone out there going to brave the roads and take a chance on the taylor highway? It seems like everyone is going to the steese. There must be someone with a sense of adventure out there?

We usually hunt the Taylor, but with only one day open figured I'd stay closer to home.

In past years, we usually drive into at least 9 mile, there's a good pullout to off load sleds and camp if you've got a camper along. There's also the trail from there that'll take you into some great country away from the road.

Good luck

Default closed

the taylor highway is closed from mile 1 to 50 so I won't be able to check out a pull out at 9 mile, but thank you for the suggestion.

Is it blocked off and closed or just closed for the season with no maintenance as usual. If the later, you might still make it unless they're having a banner snowfall

Need 4 wheel drive and chains to be safe

Default just the hunt is closed for the first 60 miles

just the hunt for the first 60 miles "my bad" the road is unplowed but doable

Default Just got back

I decided to take a ride up there today. Drove to South Fork camp and met a friend went all the way up. Said there were very few caribou and LOTS of hunters. I only saw 7 bous on the back of truck and trailers. More empty for sure. I decided it wasn't worth the extra time and gas to continue on up. Road was pretty nice compared to Tuesday night! The tire tracks were down to the pavement, but tough when you met someone coming the other direction!