Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Spring Bear??????

Default PWS Spring Bear??????

Ok guys i'm back again. I appreciate all the responses i got on my taxidermy question. Now that i got my budget flushed out for the trip. works out to about 2 grand a person. now for the next step. finding a good location. i'm not real familar with PWS so i have been pouring over the maps and google earth. i was thinking the eastern side of cochrane bay would be good or possibly long bay off of culross passage. I would aprreciate any opions, tips, or advice u guys might have. This is the first hunt of this kind i have tried to pull togather. so i will take all the help i can get.

You will have company in both Cochrane and Long Bay. That's not necessarily a bad thing, particularly if you're willing to put in a lot of time hiking and glassing, but it's the reality of the situation. Basically, the farther you get from Whittier, the fewer other hunters you'll see. There are still plenty of bears close in, and success rates are still generally high, but if you want less competition you may want to look at areas further away from Whittier.

2 g's per person? Thats a heckuva a budget for a blackie

have fun - i'm sure you'll see a bear or two in those areas

Default only sounds expensive

that price includes a high ball estimate for taxidermy. the trip itself is only gonna cost about 900 bucks a person. Well worth it for the experience. Would i be better to stick to the main land or should i consider the islands to?

Default This was a helluva day....

My bear in the snow, pard's bear on the beach.
    Attached Images Attached Images

for where you are considering going....it doesn't matter much out there

for that price - you could buy a heckuva a lot of Ole Roy, a Treestand, some honey, Mrs Butterworths and plently of fuel to get back and forth to a bait station all season long, if you were into that sorta thing....

not that there is anything wrong with that

I'm a Baiter, but not a master yet.

For that you'd have to meet some of my friends

Default No amount of $$

can buy the experience you can enjoy by being out in PWS in all it's wonderful glory! You will certainly see bears! This spring I saw over 30 diferent bears in the 3-4 days I was out there.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

if you got some extra cash and a zodiac, think about a taxi to take you far out and then tool around from there.

I Guess If It Were Me, I Would Spend The $ On A Boat Then You Can Cover More "ground" And Increase Your Chances For A Bear. And Have A Boat To Use For Fishing And Hunting In Future.
    You Are Very Limited In Spring In Pws If You Do Not Have A Boat For Mobility. If You Do Go To Pws
    Look At Hidden Bay On Culross.
    Close Spot Would Be Billings Creek And It Probably Gets Over Looked. Even Bear Valley Between Train Tunnels Could Be Good ......if Open To Hunting???

For 2k Each I Would Look At Pow Or Near Town Of Kake In Se Where There Are Bigger Bears.
    Good Luck.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default PWS DIY Hunt

Random thoughts/advice from my two DIY PWS Bear Hunts

1. Rent a boat - Whittier Boat & Tackle rents Searunners and bigger. Used them for my first DIY Hunt in Spring 06. Cost $1735/boat for 5 days + $300 in refuel costs. With food, supplies, total for trip came in at just over $800/head (split 3 ways). Used a rented boat from Ft. Rich our second trip this past spring. Cheaper but I liked Whittier Boat & Tackle's boats a whole lot better.

2. South facing slopes earlier in the year. Evening low tides. Look for beaches that have a break in the terrain (finger, hollow, cut, etc) that provide a quick escape) or beaches that don't exist a high tide.

3. Hunt on weekdays - by the time you clear Culross passage, you will find the amount of company diminishes. Come Fri-Sun forget it, every bay in Port Nellie Juan will have a boat in it (or two).

4. Go the distance - lot of people don't like going around the bend to Knight or Dangerous Passage because you must traverse w/ the open PWS sound on one side. Be smart, mind the weather, make sure you have a GPS with chart data (if you rent from Whittier Boat & Tackle, their boats are equipped full chart plotter, sounder, GPS + fully insured - zero risk to you so to speak). You will find beautiful views, more bears and less company. Distance to entrance to Knight or Dangerous passage is over 50 miles, so 150 miles range (1/3 rule) just to go there and back + factor in how much shore line you want to cruise. I would rent a boat with 250-300 mile range (Searunner class).

5. Pick up "Cruising the Prince William Sound" book - very useful.

6. Bring fishing pole - you will go nuts glassing for 8 hours straight.

7. Bring a couple cans of orange spray paint - to color all the odd shaped black rocks you mistake for bears.

8. Why rent a boat? Most transporters charge $8/mile they have to travel - so map the distance to the spot you want to go and multiply it by 4 (there-back, there-back) to compute the mileage. While close in to Whititer its cheaper, if you want to get "out there" renting a boat costs the same plus gives you increased mobility and opportunity.

9. Bring a dinghy. Person stalking takes dinghy to shore. Leave boat in plain view of bear. For whatever reason, they don't seam to get as nervous as long as they can keep an eye on the big boat.

10. Bring three people. One guy drives. Two scan for bears/safety. Plus you split cost three ways.

11. Don't bring 4 people in 20 foot boat for a week hunt (you can but pack light)

12. Don't live on a 20 ft boat for 5 days no matter how mobile it makes you - did it, was fun, but by after day 3 fuses can get a little short "Go ahead say 'What' again, buddyr". Just something to consider with everyone being armed.

13. Mind the weather at all times.

14. Have fun - PWS is beautiful beyond compare.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-28-2007 at 08:32. Reason: language

QUOTE - 7. Bring a couple cans of orange spray paint - to color all the odd shaped black rocks you mistake for bears.
    --------------

Orange Spray Paint on the Rocks eh....

whats sad is, some will think you are actually serious and think this is a good idea.

Default Valdez

Another option that will get you away from the crowd, is to start your hunt out of Valdez.

Terry

Unhappy Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    QUOTE - 7. Bring a couple cans of orange spray paint - to color all the odd shaped black rocks you mistake for bears.
    --------------

Orange Spray Paint on the Rocks eh....

whats sad is, some will think you are actually serious and think this is a good idea.

That caught my attention as well....that has to be a joke right?

Talking Yes, it is a joke

Reference painting the rocks orange. Just something we say to each other everytime this conversation happens:

Buddy 1: "Dude, edge of the beach just above the tide line next to the downed tree, I think there's a bear"

Buddy 2: "Where?"

Buddy 3: "Where did I put my binos"

Buddy 4: "You talking about the downed tree next to the rock that looks like a upside down pickup truck?"

Buddy 1: "No, the one 20 yds left of it"

Buddy 3: "Found 'em"

Buddy 4: "Got it, I think its a rock"

Buddy 1: "You think, cause I think it moved"

Buddy 2: "Which rock?"

Buddy 1: "I think you're right"

Buddy 3: "Ain't that the same rock from yesterday afternoon you thought was a bear, when we glassed this beach?"

Buddy 4: "Well someone go paint it orange then."

So, in the interest of conservation/environment: DO NOT actually paint the rocks orange! (For starters, you will find it very tiring, in and out, in and out, in and out....).

NOTE: If you read my post for advice and actually wrote down "orange paint for rock marking" on your gear list , perhaps a little a self assessment is in order before venturing out into a place that could very well kill you...like your garage or the supermarket.

Default cutter

"I'm a Baiter, but not a master yet."

haha i laughed!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

"NOTE: If you read my post for advice and actually wrote down "orange paint for rock marking" on your gear list , perhaps a little a self assessment is in order before venturing out into a place that could very well kill you...like your garage or the supermarket."

Amen!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Wink Whew!....

Quote Originally Posted by ucohokie View Post
    Reference painting the rocks orange. Just something we say to each other everytime this conversation happens:

Buddy 1: "Dude, edge of the beach just above the tide line next to the downed tree, I think there's a bear"

Buddy 3: "Where did I put my binos"

Buddy 4: "You talking about the downed tree next to the rock that looks like a upside down pickup truck?"

Buddy 1: "No, the one 20 yds left of it"

Buddy 3: "Found 'em"

Buddy 4: "Got it, I think its a rock"

Buddy 1: "You think, cause I think it moved"

Buddy 2: "Which rock?"

Buddy 1: "I think you're right"

Buddy 3: "Ain't that the same rock from yesterday afternoon you thought was a bear, when we glassed this beach?"

Buddy 4: "Well someone go paint it orange then."

So, in the interest of conservation/environment: DO NOT actually paint the rocks orange! (For starters, you will find it very tiring, in and out, in and out, in and out....).

NOTE: If you read my post for advice and actually wrote down "orange paint for rock marking" on your gear list , perhaps a little a self assessment is in order before venturing out into a place that could very well kill you...like your garage or the supermarket.
    Got it!.....

Default Awwww Nuts

well dang guys i better take the orange spray paint off my list. jk
    i'll leave the spray painting up to fish and game. lol

Default water taxi?

after disucssing the trip wiht my partners i think we have decided to do a water taxi and get dropped off. Veresus having to pay the extra money for a boat rental. so any suggetions on a service i should use?

Jay Jenkins, Riptide Charters, 907 929-1798 or cell 632-0360

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast