Thread: Montec sharpening

Default Montec sharpening

Anyone try sharpening their Montec Broadheads? If so, what tool/technique worked/didnt work for you.

I watched their sharpening video on-line, but not convinced that it will work, or that a standard sharpener wont work.

I have always used replaceables in the past.

Any info appreciated.

G5 makes a sharpener that works pretty well for the Montecs. Cabelas carries them and the price is pretty reasonable.

Default Montec

Thanks for the info skeet. I might just use the dull ones for practice/tuning, and buy new ones for hunting.

Have you tried them on an animal yet?

No Sir I haven't had the good fortune to let one fly at anything that's alive. I think that is a good idea about using them for practice. Even with the sharpener I don't believe they will be as sharp as new.

Default Diamond Steel

I bought a flat diamond sharpner at AIH that is medium grit on one side and ultra fine on the other. It works good for sharpening the Montecs as shown in the online video. Now if I could figure out how to make the Montecs fly quietly I would be set.
    Patrick

That is wierd that the montec makes noise. Do you stand down range and have someone shoot near you?! If you Helical your vanes that should cure the problem. It also might be your vanes and not the head. Most noise comes from vanes especialy if they are straight and not helical or cheap plastic. I put a steep right helical on my arrows and have very little noise with montec shooting at 285 fps. Hope this helps.

Default Heilical

I am shooting helical vanes with 31" Gold Tip 7595 carbons and 125 grain points. I can hear the wind noise and have had someone else standing nearby say they could hear it also. I do not get the noise with some other broadheads or with field points. I like the heads since they are very strong and are easy to sharpen.

I do not know what to say PatH. Sounds likeyou have a good set up. How long are your vanes. Longer vanes will produce more noise than shorter ones say 6" vs 4". I have asked friends that are pro archery shop owners and that was their suggestion. You will always get some noise from an arrow so bear that in mind. I love my montecs and will sacrafice a little noise for their performance! Killing Machines!!

Do a google search on "scary sharp". Its a method woodworkers use to sharpen hand plane blades. It involves using various superfine courses of wet sandpapar and a pan of glass. Its really simple, cheap, and they don't call then scary sharp for no reason.

F2T

Default Broadhead noise

Patrick,
    I think if you stand down field of that broadhead, you wouldn't hear the noise. I'm not suggesting you do that, just something I read somewhere. In fact some call that noise the "Whistle of Death". I think down field you will hear more bow noise than the broadhead.
    Tom

Thanks for the "scary sharp" reference to sharpen hand plane blades.

Tom M,
    I also use the sharpener from Cabalas, in the field at camp it works good. An the "scary sharp" at the house for preseason prep. Shot a Bou with pass thur, two broken ribs at 24 yards Icon bow. Sharpened the broad head and took a 53" moose the same year one broken rib. That arrow broke but the broad head was in the quiver this year. I also connected this year but it was with my dads bow and arrows, "In Memory Of AK NIMROD"

Love the Motecs as far as noise I switched to FOB's the only noise I hear is the Bow. Amazing the difference in arrow flight plus with the FOB's i was able to find the pass thur arrow really easy because the FOB comes off at the impact sight of the animal on my Bou.

Rob
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Will never shoot them again, EVER, but when I did they were pretty easy to sharpen with a flat stone.