Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Random Question, you catch.. you skin.. then??

Default Random Question, you catch.. you skin.. then??

So I'm gonna do a bit of trapping this winter, for otter, marten and mink which there are a ton of around here. Gonna get a bunch of traps from my buddy and practice sets with him up in Chugiak then come back down here and see what I can do and get some exercise and hopefully sell some fur... So after you catch and skin your marten (or whatever) I assume you try to get as much fat/ flesh off it as you can (fleshing?) then can you just salt it? Do you have to get it tanned (not sure the dorms would be down with me running a tanning operation lol)? Who do you sell it too?

Thanks
    Patrick
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

HUH,,,WOW..I had to look twice at the name of above poster.

Default alot more to it

set, catch, skin, flesh, board, dry, then sell to furbuyer. DON'T salt them.

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    HUH,,,WOW..I had to look twice at the name of above poster.
    x2 I think I felt the earth shift on its axis a bit!
    Next he will post a pic of his bear bait stand, and be asking for info on the best taxidermist for a BB rug. Very interesting to watch the slow transition. Good luck with the trapping AKPM

You may want to talk to another trapper in the area through (maybe the Alaska Trapper's Association) or get a freezer so that you don't have to dry skins in your dorm (might not go over well). If you freeze them you will have a little more leeway when you do the rest of the work.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Ask around and you might be able to find someone local who will buy them green (skinned but nothing else done to the fur).

Monkey, I assume from previous statements you've made on here that you will be eating the flesh of the critters you catch........eh? Surely you don't differentiate between game animals and fur animals? There must be some marten recipes out thetre somewhere!
    Stop by the Alaska Fur Exchange on Tudor and talk to the owner. He should be able to steer you to sources of info about what to do with your fur, and other info you may want. I would also suggest joining and going to the Southcentral ATA meetings.
    Be sure when you find a place to trap your not stepping on someone elses toes..........and of course the ultimate ethical person you are will surely be an ethical trapper?
    Call Rick Sinnot ad F&G, he is a BIG supporter of trapping, and I'm sure will welcome you to trapping around Anch.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

thanks for the imput... My next question is, what is there to do with the carcasses of your catch (I assume most just feed the foxes)?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default AKPM you can eat them, even fox

Ask bushrat, he even eats the fox. PM him AKPM.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    thanks for the imput... My next question is, what is there to do with the carcasses of your catch (I assume most just feed the foxes)?
    NO NO NO, if "you" are going to trap, with all of your previous rhetoric, I would only assume that you are going to eat it.

Guys, can we please leave the personal comments out of it? The guy is asking for help. Thanks to those that have offered it without the additional remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Guys, can we please leave the personal comments out of it? The guy is asking for help. Thanks to those that have offered it without the additional remarks.
    Brian, i am serious, Bushrat DOES eat everything he catches, except wolves i think. I meant it, when i said AKPM should contact him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Why is ok for him to do it and now I can't give it back?

I know,,i dont get that either..Hes a big boy,,he can take a joke ,or a good ribbing too.

Yes, I'm sure he can take a joke. But you must admit that sometimes the comments directed at others on the forums have gone beyond joking. I didn't delete anything, I'm just asking for civility. This seems like a great opportunity to show someone what is great about trapping. Instead of pointing out prior inconsistencies, maybe our efforts would be better spent helping someone out. That's all I'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by fishermann222 View Post
    Brian, i am serious, Bushrat DOES eat everything he catches, except wolves i think. I meant it, when i said AKPM should contact him.
    Yep, I know. I'm not so sure about fox, but I've eaten lynx stir-fry before, and it was great!

Default Yep

Ask Bushrat, I about fell over when he told me that in fact he does eat fox.

Quote Originally Posted by fishermann222 View Post
    set, catch, skin, flesh, board, dry, then sell to furbuyer. DON'T salt them.

I've always been told too salt them, why aren't you supposed to?

If you are handling the furs for the garment market they do not want them salted, just dried.
    No salt because if the hide is handled properly it doesn't need salt and the salt will affect the ph of the different tanning solutions at the tannery. Many buyers won't buy your fur if it is salted. Furs last a long time if dried properly, kept dry, and cool. I've got 30 beaver in the garage from last year that are still good as new.
    Most people believe salt is needed because of advice from taxidermists. When most game is taken in the field that will end up at the taxidermist, the taker doesn't have the tools, facilities or knowledge to properly handle the critter like you would for the market, so the taxidermist tells folks to flesh it as best they can then salt the heck out of it and freeze if possible. Also an animal destined for taxidermy cannot risk any hair slippage on the ears or feet, they are difficult areas to dry properly. Market furs usually have the feet cut off and it won't hurt many critters prices if you cut the ears off.
    Handling furs for the market is not difficult it just takes a little bit of knowledge and a few simple tools. Like everything, it takes practice, I wouldn't suggest you experiment with the first lynx you get but find something to practice on. ADFG has a good video out on fur handling.

If you want to tan them for you can salt them i guess, but i wouldn't. but if you want to sell to fur buyers they usually want them put up and dried in Alaska.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast