Thread: Major boat repair needed

Angry Major boat repair needed

Who would you recommend in the Fairbanks area to perform some major aluminum repair on my 24' ALMAR. I had a fire onboard this weekend that messed the front up pretty bad. Melted the dash, the window frames, the seats, and the enclosure. The boat may be a long term project for someone as I am slotted to rotate out next summer. The shame is two fold. One it was an exceptionally clean boat with only 280 hours on the 460 inboard, and two - no insurance. I thought it was covered by my homeowners while it was stored in the yard, but I was wrong. I know someone is going to ask how.... The best I can figure is a heating pad I placed next to the heater core, must have overheated and caught fire. The **** thing was new. I was one of those little orange pads you glue onto your oil pan. Maybe since it wasn't glued directly to a pan it got too hot... Anyone looking for a project???

Thanks, Rob
    1989 24' Custom Almar, 460 3-stage SS Kodiak jet

Karolds welding in Fairbanks does great work and specializes in aluminum boats. I had him do a lot of work last year and he is great to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Karolds welding in Fairbanks does great work and specializes in aluminum boats. I had him do a lot of work last year and he is great to deal with.

Karolds is the only way to go!!! He did some work for a friend of mine few months ago and did excellent work. So I sent my boat down for some transom work....A-1 Top notch on welding Aluminum and boats.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to see what the cost is going to be. I'd love to have a hard top installed since I know the work is going to be extensive, but then I am probably going to be unloading the boat anyway...
    1989 24' Custom Almar, 460 3-stage SS Kodiak jet