Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22lr

Default .22lr

I have a nice CZ 28 gauge for carrying on foot into the hills, but was looking at a Walther P22 for birds while riding snowmachines and as a second carry (with my .30-30) when in the woods at my cabin black bear hunting. While looking for blackie this past fall I ran into some spruce hens in a tree on the way back to the cabin. The .30-30 was a bit much...

Is the quality (accuracy/ trigger/ sights) of the P22 inadequate for bird shooting in these situations?

I've got a P22 with the shorter barrel, and for me anyway, it would be okay for body shots but a little too challenging for head shots. A bud has one with the longer barrel (4-inch?) and reports it's a lot easier to shoot. You really have to watch your grip and avoid the slightest bit of side pressure on the trigger, because it's so light. Your shots will really take off on you if you aren't really careful with aim, squeeze and followthrough.

In the same usage I'm lots happier with my S&W stainless kit gun with the 4" barrel. It's very light and small, yet lots easier to shoot well. Wish I could tell you the model #, but my son-in-law likes it as well as I do, and it always seems to end up at his house.

Most accurate of all for head shooting ptarmigan are my Ruger 5" bull barrel auto and my S&W model 41. Both will shoot rings around almost any other 22 pistols. I tip 12 gauge empties on end and shoot them at 30 feet for practice. After shooting a while at 30 I usually move back to 40 or more just for a little challenge, the hitting at 30 is so routine. Downsides of either are the extra bulk and weight over the P22 or the kit gun.

If you don't mind the weight, my first choice is the S&W model 41 with the 7" barrel.. The down side is that they cost and arm and a leg. I like the S&W model 17 with the 6" barrel. These can be found for a lot less money used.

When my eyes were better, it was no trick to shoot the numbers off the target at 50 feet with the model 41. I have to put it at the vary top of all .22 rimfire pistols.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have a little ruger bearcat (got it for the wife) and it is extreemly compact and light (by my standards). Accuracy is very good but it does have some disadvantages. #1 it has non-adjustable sights and not all .22 ammo shoots to the same point of impact. #2 its single action, so follow up shots are relitively slow. #3 it is slow to load and un-load due to the nature of being a single action. #4 it is a small frame pistol and does not fit my hand well with gloves on. #5 it seems to be a bit louder than a semi-auto and makes my ears ring if I dont have plugs in. On the pluss side, its darn near impossible to get it to malfunction or jam, and it seems to be rather rugged. I did some trigger work on the wifes and got the pull down to a respectable number and that made a big difference also. And, although I have never found a use for them, you can shoot those bird shot rounds out of it. I have tried hiting a pop can with them, and you really need to be close to get more than one or two of those tiny pellets to hit home..........like 10 feet close. I think the only spuce chicken you would shoot with those would already be dead..... Another pluss is you can shoot CB caps, shorts or what ever thru it. I have shot the CB caps into a bullet trap in my garage many times. Not much more noise than my CO2 pistol. But to tell you the truth, I have been thinking about one of those old H&R 99 with the 9 shot cylinder and adjustable sights..........just havent run across one at any gun shows yet.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Thumbs up Ruger Single Six 22lr/22wmr

Sportsman's Warehouse did have the Single Six 22lr/22wmr blued 5inch barrel on clearance for $299. It's the one with a 22lr cylinder and a 22wmr cylinder. I've got one and it is deadly accurate and you have the option of 22wmr. You can get them in a fixed or adjustable sight.
    Travis
    Last edited by ak_sierra; 11-27-2007 at 19:04. Reason: i spell like an idiot...

Default Thanks for the info

Thank you guys. I'm fairly new to the hunting/weapon knowledge area and I appreciate the good suggestions and advice. I'll let you know how I go...

I shot a p-22 once. I thought that it was too light, and the trigger was horrible. Im no great pistol shot, but that thing really made me look like a bad shot.

The model 41, yeah at first its expensive, but in the long run it turns into a cheap gun. You never want to sell it and lose money, you dont need to upgrade it, and after you use it for 30 years, well you got your moneys worth.

I have owned at least 5 differnent kinds of 22 pistols. I finally stopped buying and selling once the model 41 came across my hand.

Don't forget to take a look at the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger Mark series. They could be considered an icon of .22 auto pistols.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default P22

I have a P22 and am pretty impressed with it. It is small reliable. However, if hunting with it, I suggest using better ammo, rather than the stuff sold in packs of 500 rounds. That stuff is weaker, and sometimes doesn't provide enough power to cycle the rounds.

In regards to the sights, they are decent. The only thing I don't like about the P22 is that it is a pain to put back together after you take the slide off for cleaning. The design isn't user friendly for cleaning.

I would have probably gone with a Ruger Mark II or III, but the P22 looked good at the time.

BrownBear, that's the S&W md. 63.

Thanks Leonard. I was going to guess that, but just couldn't be sure. It's so good that I get a blank look on my son-in-law's face every time I mention that I'd like to shoot mine again if I could find it!

Browning and ruger are supposed to be great, but I love my S&W 2206 and wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it. It's not made anymore, but if you can find one, I really like it. The P22 grip is to small for me. My buddy has a sig 22, don't know what model, and reports good things about that one, too.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

I bought a P22 a couple years ago as it was a semi-auto with controls that mimic a typical combat pistol and the price was right. It is a good gun for cheap, no recoil, combat target practice (great for working on flinch reflex). That said, it is a poor gun for accuracy and I wouldn't consider taking it out hunting. There are many better pistols for birding with the accurate target models, such as the Ruger Mark II, being high on the list. They are a bigger and heavier but they are the right tool for the job.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default It'll Work Good, Last a Long Time, Won't Rust, Bust, nor Collect Dust!!!

Of all the handguns in the rack, I keep reaching more and more for the 4" Stainless Model 63 S&W Kit Gun. More accurate than I'm capable of shooting. Will function with any .22 rimfire round made, except the magnum. With an oversize grip, it's really comfortable to shoot, don't weigh much at all, compact enough that it's not in the way, just a really neat little revolver.
    I have semi-auto rimfires. Just don't use 'em much anymore, except for a 422 S&W that I picked up awhile back. One of the ones with the alloy frame, and plastic grips. Uses Mod 41 magazines, light, slim, don't feel the recoil at all, and more accurate than you would ever guess it to be. More weight would be a plus with this one, though...

Default Decision

I've hefted them all and looked into my finances and have decided to go with a Browning Buck Mark Stainless Camper. The sights appear to be good for my purpose and the highly adjustable rear sight a definite plus. The gun just feels good in my hand (and the price feels good on the wallet).

Thanks gain for all the great input.

If you have a quality 1911, You might want to look at the Marvel conversion units. They will shoot 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards. Even the Rugers and 41's will have a hard time keeping up.

Default I also just picked up the

Browning Buck Mark SS 5.5 pro camper. Last one at sportsmans. $279. Very nice pistol. took it apart to clean it and easy to do. Nice features and awesome that aslo fit my hand better than the any of the rugers. I really wanted a ruger single six or a mark 111. I think the buck should be just fine. I really like it the more I look at it and handle it. Wanted to check out the taurus revolvers also but decided to go with this for now. Cheaper, should be fun to shoot, taking it out tomorrow hunting along with my .12ga.

Default Report please

AKRSTABOUT-
    Give us a report on how you liked that Buckmark you just picked up. I'm really looking at that one closely for my next purchase. What kind of grips does it have and what kind of front sight? Thanks.

Default Cliff

it has the finger grooved grips. Which was the seller for me. The front sight is neon green fiber optic. The gun didn't feel very heavy either. Plus to get those sights on a ruger you are looking at $400+. This gun was made in November 14 07. My point being I went to MVS to have a look and they were sold out. But their catalog didn't show that model with those grips. So I went back to sportsmans and sure enough it was a camper with the newer grips that come on the higher end models. So I bought the last one they had which was the display gun. But it was so new it didn't appear to be handled that much. Will let you know how it goes. Going hunting. Will do some plinking to see how it shoots and maybe dry to do a quick sight in. But I don't plan on getting it sighted in completely. Just put some rounds through it and see how it does.

Default Report

Well I must say I am impressed. Took it apart last night and cleaned with oil lightly and reassembled. Pretty smooth action and the trigger felt pretty good. Today we shot it and it was a good shooter. All free hand shooting at 25-30' roughly mayb more. We hit bullseye on little one inch orange dots on 8' paper plates. The other shooter was 11 and he hit bullseye too. I let him keep the plates so I can't post pictures of those. Then we proceeded to shoot orange ping pong balls at the same distances. Then I shot one 410 empty shell off a branch on the third shot. Never adjusted the sights and used rem. and cci rounds. the rems. were 36 grn coned bullets and two different kinds of cci, 32 hp@ 1640fps and 36 hps at 1435fps, all ratings were from packages shot from rifles not my pistol. but the cci 32 hps shot the best freehand. we hit targets with all rounds but the 410 was with the 32hps @1640. If I go to the range with, after christmas sometime at the soonest. I will shoot all of the above from a sand bad and see if I can't fine tune it some more. But right out of the box, then cleaned and shooting it was the best pistol I have shot. It is also my first .22 lr pistol. I made a good choice and could not be happier. I am thinking about taking pictures of the gun and balls and the 410 shell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast