Thread: wood river moose

Default wood river moose

Here is a picture of the moose I got nov 21 in the wood river permit hunt . Shot him with a cva optima pro 50 cal 338 grain platinum powerbelt 150 grains pyrodex took two shots first hit high in the chest went all the way through didn't do much damage second shot in the neck
    took him right down. First animal I have ever got with a muzzleloader.
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations Brian! Aren't muzzleloaders a rush? I'm surprised that Platinum went through with little damage. It's the first report I've heard from someone who's actually used them.

Nice bull! Are the platinums supposed to hold together better than the normal Powerbelts?

Default powerbelts

The first shot went through ribcage high and a little far back didn,t hit any bone didn't seem to expand much. Second shot was a neck shot from under twenty yards and seemed to perform well, bullet stayed together
    and did a lot of damage to bone and surrounding muscle. I had set this gun up with a scope to hunt deer in Iowa and found it was very accurate out to 150 yards. Without the scope it is still accurate to 100 yards, but after this hunt I think a heavier bullet is needed. The platinums with the ballistic point were available locally and are designed for thicker skinned animals. Brian

Thumbs up nice bull

congrats on taking a moose with your ML. Any moose is a trophy. Even better when you can take one with a ML. You should be proud.

If you are questioning the performance of the Powerbelts, give the 300gr Barnes Expander MZ's a try. You will not regret it. 100% copper, pedals open at normal ML velocities and ranges (utilizes hydraulics to open), does some real tissue damage. They are accurate and tough.

I've never had much confidence or luck with Powerbelts. I know, I know... others have, and they should continue using them until they have a reason to discontinue their use. Not trying to steal your thread.

Once again, congratulations!
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default Nice moose

Congrats for sure on a muzzle loader moose. I am taking the muzzle loader class this spring. I can't wait to get out and use the smoke pole again.

Thumbs up fantastic!

Great job and great bull!

Nice moose Brian, I've taken several elk with 50 and 54 cal Hawken muzzleloaders and look forward to my first moose hunt.