Thread: halibut charter from Cordova, Seward, or Homer?

Default halibut charter from Cordova, Seward, or Homer?

I'll be in AK at the end of June 08 and would like to go out on a halibut charter trip. I'll be in Cordova, Seward, and Homer, but which of these places would be the best place for a halibut charter (in terms of number of fish, size, and quality of the experience)? Any reccomendations (or warnings) about specific charter companies? Other locations I'm not considering (e.g., Whittier)?

Many thanks in advance.

I have very little experience with charters, but from personal fishing in the three locations (and two half-day charters in Homer), I would say that you should choose...

-Homer for # of fish

-Seward for size of fish

-Cordova for overall experience.

Granted, all of the three offer excellent fishing and a chance for truly large halibut. 300+ pound fish are caught every year out of Homer, but most charters stay closer in where the fish are smaller. If you find the right boat (and pay the right price), you can catch huge halibut out of Homer and have a great experience. Your general charter out of Homer, though, will focus on sheer #'s of halibut, typically in the 20-30 pound range. As for Seward, it is completely weather dependant. If you're on a boat that makes it out to Montegue, the fish are often larger average size than other ports. Not always, but often. As for Cordova, it's a fishery that recieves considerably less pressure than the other two. Cool little town, and great scenery and fishing out of there.

Fished out of Homer last year. Had 9 flatties on the 1 day trip to 35 lbs. Not huge but still a lot of fun. Water was rough though and 1/2 the boat was green.

homer for size and numbers.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Homer charters

From my limited experience (3 charters out of Homer, 3 out of Big Creek), Each charter is different. My first charter, the largest was around 40lbs., but we all caught a bunch of chickens for the most part. I went with another a few years later, and our boat caught a few 50 lbrs, an 86 lbr, and the rest 40 lbs. But it took more time to "fish". We caught less fish than the other boats I have been on, but we got bigger ones. I guess it depends on what your thrill is.
    I honestly think it is a dice roll to see what you get, and most importantly, WORD OF MOUTH!

All of my charters where out of either homer, or big creek. So the port makes no difference.

Both of my Big Creek charters pointed out the city of Homer as we past it from affar as we went to Flat Island, The same spot 2 of my Homer Charters used for fishing ( I saw at least 50 charter boats there). The other 2 charters I used, I didn't know where we were, we just cought mostly 40 lbrs.

Homer has McDonalds and numbers of fisherman. You can't go wrong.

Have to agree with not going wrong with Homer! I've been there a bunch of times and the fishing was always great! The boat ride was around 35-45 minutes which is less than other places from what I hear. The quality of fish was excellent. Mostly were in the 40lb range with fish in the 60-80lb range were not uncommon.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Default one for seward

check out crackerjack charters outta Seward... the very best.

late June is the best time of year for big Halibut... most boats travel 2-2 1/2 hours to get to the prime fishing grounds... although this is longer than trips outta Homer, the scenery is spectacular, and sightings of marine mammals is frequent...

overall... the experience outta Seward is fantastic.

and if you book with Crackerjack... book early; they fill up quick!

Thanks everyone for the input so far!

I fish out of Homer in my own boat and always do very well. You may want to consider an over night charter out of Homer. They leave in early evening and catch a limit before midnight, then they start fishing again after midnight and usually return with 2 limits per person. Another option is a Combo Halibut /King Salmon Charter out of Anchor Point Or Deep Creek but they usually stop doing the combos by the end of June.
    Good Luck and Good Fishing

Default master

Fishmaster,
    How far out do you go in your boat? What Kind of boat do you have?
    Can you catch halibut within the bay (ie left side of the spit/within 3 miles of the spit)?
    Is there a chance of catching Halibut near Chinapoot?

Thanks in advance for your helpfull info!!!

What about other species?

Ben

I have a 2006 22' HewesCraft Ocean Pro. We usually fish the drop offs approx. 5 miles off of poggy point and Flat Island in 160 to 220 feet. Its about 20 to 25 miles from the harbor. I like to try different spots looking for the big ones. I just look on the chart for a nice drop off. and usually the action is hot. Most of the fish were running a little smaller than normal last year. The fish we caught were in the 25 to 30 lb range. we did catch a couple 50lb and a couple 40 lb but no big ones.
    As for fishing inside the bay, I know of one spot. The Main Street Hole. Line up with Main Street (you can see Napa Auto parts from the water) and fish the drop off in 100' to 130'. Most of the fish are small but once in a while a 40 or 50 pounder comes out of there. I have seen some big fish in the 100lb range come out of the area around Yukon island. I have been told that there are some good holes up the bay around Halibut cove and Chinapoot but I have never fished up there. One thing about fishing inside the bay is usually the action is slower and the fish are smaller.
    Good luck and Good Fishing