Thread: .375 JDJ bullet

Default .375 JDJ bullet

Well, I think I've found a good bullet for my .375 JDJ 14" Contender. I called Alaska Bullet Works, Inc. who make the Kodiak Bonded bullets and they have a 250 gr. bullet. It is normally used for the H&H but talking to Karl Mielke there, he told me the jacket starts at .027" near the tip to help start expansion, so even at the reduced velocities of the JDJ, at about 100 yards/2000 fps, it should work just fine. I should be able to get muzzle velocities between 2200-2300fps with this bullet. I know of the Kodiak bullet's fine reputation on game, even though this will be the first time I will use them, so this should prove interesting. A nice note on this is that they are sending me the bullets without prepayment. They'll include an invoice and I'll send them the money when they get here. THAT is unusual these days.

Sounds darned near perfect for the round. I always relied on the lightly constructed 220-grain 375 Winnie bullets for deer and the more heavily built 235 Speers for elk, feeling the various 270's were too heavily built no matter what anyone said. Okay, I'll admit that the 220's and 235's also recoiled noticeably less.

That was then and this is now, but if I was still shooting the JDJ, I'd be on the phone to ABW, too.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Sounds like you got it all worked out, but it you want to try some cast 264 gr flat point Lyman's let me know and I will cast an extra pile for you. I got some "hardball" that runs about 16 brinell that should work pretty good up to about 2200fps.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default cast bullets

Thanks for the offer, I'll send you a pm.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

got em cast, will size and lube over the weekend...............probably
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

That sounds like a great bullet. Let us know how it shoots.

I've used Speer 270 gr spire points with good success on caribou, bear, and moose. They are a tad "stout" for deer though.....but dead is dead, right?

Default 270 gr. Speers

That's another bullet I'd like to try. Plan on extending my options.

Thumbs up 375 Jdj

The time proven Hornady 270 Spire Point is excellent in the 375 JDJ.

H4895 @ 46.5

1877 fps

All around good load for AK.
    Alaska

Default 270 Hornady load

Sounds like a solid load, but I think I can safely get 2000 fps with AA2520, but I will give it a shot, no pun intended.

The pointy Hornady's look really cool, but to tell the truth, I have always got the best accuracy with the 270 RN out of my 375 H&H. For some reason they just shoot great in my rifle. Couldnt say how they would do in the JDJ, but might be worth "A shot" (yep, pun intended)

Let us know how this shoots. I am using 270 GR Failsafes with good luck on accuracy and game animals(black bears, grizzlies, and moose). But with the FS out of production I need a new bullet.
    I should be taking a musk ox with the 270 gr FS in the next week.