Thread: Ptarmigan Yum Yum

Talking Ptarmigan Yum Yum

I woke up today and decided to do a little ptarmigan hunting and scared up nearly 100 birdsNeedless to say I limited quickly and had a peaceful day in the mountains all to myself. What I'm wondering is: How do you cook your ptarmigan? I do mine on the grill bacon-wrapped, in chili, and panfried with s/p & flour coating. Are there any recipes out there that are your favorites? I'd sure like to try some different methods now and then. I appreciate any recipes given. Thanks, and good luck out there!

Default I gotta ask

Where were you hunting? I have really wamted to go Ptarmigan hunting but I dont know where to go.

Default Sesame Spruce Chicken

My son and I used this one for spruce hens, just to try something different. Just use about half the sesame oil in the sauce. It was a little strong with it all.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/129598

Whenever we do the pan fried or any other popular way we soak them in red wine for a few hours. Just don't do it overnight unless you think you have some really strong tasting birds and need to replace that sprucey flavor with a strong wine flavor.

Default wild rice bake

Mix a cup of each (cooked) wild rice and white rice. In a seperate bowl mix a can of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup. Add rosemary and sage (preferably fresh) as well as a some cracked black pepper. Spread the rice in a baking dish, place the breasts on the rice and then cover with the soup mixture. Add a layer of mozeralla cheese to the top and bake.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    I woke up today and decided to do a little ptarmigan hunting and scared up nearly 100 birdsNeedless to say I limited quickly and had a peaceful day in the mountains all to myself. What I'm wondering is: How do you cook your ptarmigan? I do mine on the grill bacon-wrapped, in chili, and panfried with s/p & flour coating. Are there any recipes out there that are your favorites? I'd sure like to try some different methods now and then. I appreciate any recipes given. Thanks, and good luck out there!
    Do you know why Chicken, Alaska is named Chicken? Cause nobody knew how to spell ptarmigan. That should be all the information anyone needs on how to cook these birds.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

My wife makes a cassorole dish, baked in a cassorole dish at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
    break up 3 slices of bread
    grease dish
    2 cups of meat
    1/2 cup mayo
    1/4-1/2 cup onions
    1/2 cup of chopped celery
    spread on bread

break up 3 slices bread and spread
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cup milk

Any chance you can tell me where a good ptarmigan hunting spot might be. Snow machine, 4 wheeler, hiking?
    1 can mushroom soup

meat; ptarmigan, grouse, chichen, turkey, must be precooked. I usually boil in salt water. Do not cover dish
    Last edited by jim k; 12-05-2007 at 21:41. Reason: add addition info