Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to Buy Best Dip Nets ???

Default Where to Buy Best Dip Nets ???

Where Can I buy the best, toughest dipnets made? Price is no concern. I want to know what you all think for the best dipnets to use on the Kenai River using from a boat? Please let me know, and how do I contact the seller? Thank you in Advance.

Well, i have not bought dip nets from him, but my nephew got a dip net from Mike's Welding in Sterling and says it's the best one he's ever had. I had Mike weld up some aluminum decking for me and he is a stand up guy. His number is 262-1323.

He comes highly recommended!! I was going to suggest him as well.

Default Agree, Mike's Welding

We bought one from Mike's Welding last year and is the best net I have owned, it should last many seasons.

There is a guy in Eagle River that makes great ones as well, think mine was $75 a few years ago. If you do a search on here he will come up.

Smile agree on mikes

I agree with mikes, I have 2 that are 12 yrs old I bought from mike, great nets. I will check out the guy in Eagle river sometime, but you can't go wrong with mikes!!!

Default Mike's

Thank you guys for your advice. I will contact Mike's

Default Custom Dipnets

This year I purchased a dipnet from Ron Fuller in Chugiak (down near the airport). It's as good as any one I've seen out there, and priced right too! I've seen another model, available locally at retail stores, completely twist off after two seasons of moderate use. That model twisted off where the hoop straightens and fits into the handle and is bolted through. Ron's set-up is all welded. Currently, a replacement net from Ron is $25. Last year I saw a replacement net on the shelf at Wal-Mart (and other places) for $40. You do the math! You can call Ron @ 688-1271; He makes several different style nets.

Sincerely,
    Buckeye

Default Both Good

You can't go wrong with either one; my preference would be Ron's though; weight can be an issue after a long day and Mike's are heavier; but that can work to your advantage in a strong current. I have fished both and prefer my own fly-swatter style that my Father-in-law made a few years ago. It's super light weight and a little hard to handle in rough current but fun as all get-out when a fish hit; you feel every ounce of it. I've dipped a couple of kings in it and it held up pretty darn well.

Another place to get nets is in Kenai; Kenai Welding; the guy there is bit crotchity but he makes a good quality net too.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Craigs List...

Saw a new Dipnet on Crags list for $50!!

Default Ron Fuller's nets

My wife and I went up to visit Ron Fuller in Chugiak today. He is a great guy to talk to and was more than happy to give us advice and how-to info (being that this will be our first year of dipnetting). I can't compare his nets to any other out there as I've never used any other (or have yet to test out Ron's yet). But I will say from my experience today I think Ron is a stand-up guy and if you're looking to buy a net in the Anchorage / Valley area but don't want to go through Wal-Mart, Fred Myers, etc, give Ron a try (688-1271).

Default I know I'm cheap, but...

My favorite net for the last twenty years or so is a $30 net off Craigslist in the winter, then:
    1.) Cut the hoop at the far end
    2.) Splice in another 18"-20" of aluminum tubing
    3.) Drill and screw with round head stainless screws
    4.) When necessary, buy $9 net from WalMart (the 60" black bag type.)
    Oh, this is for Copper, not Kenai, by the way. Kenai needs the $40 nylon bag.
    Anyway I have a dozen handles and tons of parts over the years, and I'm ready to go to Chitina next week.

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    My wife and I went up to visit Ron Fuller in Chugiak today. He is a great guy to talk to and was more than happy to give us advice and how-to info (being that this will be our first year of dipnetting). I can't compare his nets to any other out there as I've never used any other (or have yet to test out Ron's yet). But I will say from my experience today I think Ron is a stand-up guy and if you're looking to buy a net in the Anchorage / Valley area but don't want to go through Wal-Mart, Fred Myers, etc, give Ron a try (688-1271).
    X2 on going with Ron. Bought mine from him last year and it worked fabulous. I really liked that Ron took the time to give pointers on dipping both the Kenai and Copper while I met with him as well. Great to work with and great nets.

Just curious what Ron is selling his nets for these days; does anyone know (approximately)?

Quote Originally Posted by jjwillac View Post
    Just curious what Ron is selling his nets for these days; does anyone know (approximately)?
    $145. He'll cut ya a bit of a break if you buy more than one.

I'm also cheap, and run a home made net. For the copper I just used a salmon landing net with a 12' fiberglass handle and replaced the black net with a gill net. I fished a back eddy with the net tied to the shore, and for that use the gil net was the way to go. If actively dipping with the current, a gil net would slow you down.

For the Kenai I use this 5' octagon frame with a gilnet and relatively short handle of closet rod as I float the river.

There is no single best net design, it depends on where you dip and what technique you use.

Default Local made Dip nets sold at Costco on Diamond

Costco just got in a shipment of one of the locally made heavy duty dip nets. I'll check if there is a brand name on them tomorrow. The nets have a 5' round hoop and are selling for $114.99

We got ours from B and J's last summer, they worked great - not sure how much they cost, only one hole broke and that only ended up costing us two fish until we realized the problem and fixed it, so no biggie.

Another for Mike's Welding.

Default Mike's

We have a pair of Mike's nets. No complaints. A 5 ft hoop is rather large for the boat though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast