Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cabelas bighorn II tent results

Default cabelas bighorn II tent results

wow what a piece of....!! lol well it wasn't good, it held up great in some serious wind, probably 60mph gusts or so for over two weeks, kept the rain out and was very spacious, with the vestibule it was even better!
    Biggest problem, the interior of the tent sweated like a cold glass of water on a warm day, every 5 days or so we would take out a galllon or more of water from the corners of the inside of the tent, when the wind blew the dropplets on the ceiling woud fall inside and be excatly like rain, we tried to heat it with propane as best we could and that didn't help, leaving the door open and windowns open to even out the inside and outside temp was the only thing that hlped.
    Second hunt i tarped the whole roof, made a huge difference but the ends and sidewalls still shed water like a melting glacier, not cool.
    Anyway single wall anything isn't the way to go on kodiak, i'll be going over the the cabela's outfitter 12x12' tent with the rain fly for next season, no more trying new stuff for me..geez its like i never learn.
    anway its going back to cabela's with a nice little letter...maybe a wet letter.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    we tried to heat it with propane as best we could and that didn't help,
    Remember, burning propane makes water. It would be hard for me to go with a single wall tent anywhere in AK! Thanks for the tent review.

ya i know it makes water but even where the heater was was dry, this tent has more vents in it than i'd ever seen, any water from the heater woulda been warm vapro i'd guess and probably shot right out the holes with the rest of the dang heat! lol tarpin' it helped alot you could see a line in the water on the inside wehre the tarp touched the tent(dry) and where it didn't (wet, wetter, wettest).
    stupid lower 48 tent designers....
    Master guide 212

Why aren't you using Arctic Ovens or Barney's Bombshelters??

to small for the weight. i love the AO 10 i think it is, that you can stand it great tent for 2 guys and 2 cots, the bombshelter i've never really been as big a fan of once i used an oven. but for what i want to use on kodiak i want lots of space, the 12x12' outfitter tents are great, used those quiet a few times down outa cordova, for 12-15 days in a tent, its nice on the clients to have some room to sit on your cot without breathing on each other. I had heard of some guys using the Bighorn II and loving it, so i figured i'd give it a go. lesson learned.
    Master guide 212

I'm glad I saw this post as i've been searching for another moose camp tent and this one was on the short list. It appears that the list just got a little shorter, thanks Jake.

lol no worries, i like the AO and barney tents but for the money its double or more what i'd buy from cabelas with the XWT series that i've used several times and really like them ALOT. can't beat standing up in a tent either...
    Master guide 212

Default tents

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    stupid lower 48 tent designers....
    I haven't seen a Cabelas tent yet that I'd want to own. IMHO the 10X10 Bombshelter is just about the best thing going if you want to be able to stand up in the tent. But for the worst case scenarios two 8X8's would be the best solution for a windy camp for two.

I just can't see using a POC tent cause you can stand up in it. Been using the Bombshelters for the last 19 years. No problems from clients. They love the fact it will stand up and stay dry in any conditions.

the bombshelters are a great tent, no denying that, so are the ovens both are fantastic alaskan condition tents. Never was the point. The hunts i've done in the hurricane huts, bombshelters and ovens as well as the cabela's outfitter XWT tents have been great. the cabelas tent for the size is just about a 3rd of the price. I gotta be honest from the time i've spent in these tents its like spending money on optics...after a while your just paying for name, maybe 15 years from now you'll start to see a different but for a 3-10 year tent i'm doubting theres gonna be much difference. I used to have other guides in camps make fun of me with my old school cabela's alaskan guide series bino until i started having to point game out they could spot in their swaro's. They paid more money, but aparently weren't working any better.
    Ford/Chevy...one mans poision is anothers passion i guess.
    Master guide 212

Default Bombshelters marked way down......

I think the 8x8's are under $700 which in my mind makes them a bargain

8x8 is plenty of room for me but I know some guy like the 10x10

that is a great deal, tents i'm dealing with are just a smidge larger, i can still pick up a 12x12 XWT from cabelas for less than 700 bucks.
    Master guide 212

Default XWT tent

I have the XWT tent from Cabelas and just wanted to add my .02. I know alot of people bash the cabelas tents, but i'm not one of them. I have had the XWT for two hunting seasons now. My buddy has a single wall Alaknak and the difference was extreme. The interior of his tent was soaked the entire hunt, with puddles in every corner and wet clothing everywhere. My XWT did not have a drop of moisture the entire trip and heated it with a buddy heater on low to about 68 degs. We had to turn the heater off several times and open the door. The Alaknak had two buddy heaters on high and the inside condensation was frozen on the inside of the tent during the night.

As for the wind, we were up on a hill on the Ferry trail, although in a sheltered depression, we thought. The wind blew around 50mph most of the day and during the night we had what I would estimate as at least 80mph gusts most of the night. I did not loose even one tiedown, although I must say I spent the night thinking we were going to go tumbling down the mountain. I have the 10X10 and it sleeps 3 very well if you only have two cots and one person sleeps on the floor. 3 cots would be pretty cramped. John

They must have made a large improvement with this tent. Have used the Big Horn III for the last 2 years for a total of 45 days. Have yet to get wet or get any mosture inside the tent. 12 of the days it rained all day. Great tent with the vestibule added.

What weather conditions? Did you have a wood stove in it?
    Master guide 212

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you. Were were about 25 miles SE of Mt McKinnley. It was Sept the 5th- 14th of 2012. It rained 8 out of the 11 days and the river was up over 1 1/2 feet. We did not have a stove but it we did have a tarp under and over the tent.

Ya we added a tarp over the tent several days into it and it made a world of difference. Effectively making it a double wall tent.
    Master guide 212

We are going up the Ivishack this year and theirs no trees. No way to put up a tarp. Excited to see how it works.

I have the Kodiak 10X10 tent single wall. It is a treated canvass tent with the tuffest flooring I've ever seen in a tent..Just spent ten days of Wrangell rain but winds only up to about 40mph. Not a drop of water inside nor sweat. Its over six foot tall all over the inside. Keep the tent warm and dried clothes with two kerosene lamps. Best tent I've ever used but at 65 still young and learning.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Just got back home from the Ivishack.A little rain and a little wind. No water in the tent. It did great. I would say that this is the best tent I have ever had.

Ive been looking at the Big Horn for awhile. I think it is safe to say that a double wall tent is better but not nessasary. I always have a couple tarps and even used a tarp when using a wall tent. Weight and cost are two big show stoppers for some. Size is too. I want a large, affordable tent that doesnt cost an arm to get. Seems like the Big Horn fits that. I do think the wood stove will be a must since I hate heating with propane
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast