Thread: Rex Trail?

Default Rex Trail?

I wanted to ask some information on the Rex Trail. This is the one from Delta Jct to Healy/Clear area.

I was having a conversation with a gentleman from the Game Board about how it's massively damaged and that they are limiting the number of ATV use to 1500lbs or less can now only be on this trail.

I'd like to know...
    ~the history of the trail
    ~hunting on the trail
    ~where it exactly starts and ends
    ~pictures... do you have any?

Thanks in advanced. It's much appreciated!
    Lurker.

Actually the 1500 pound rule has been a "Generally allowed use" for state land for a while now. No one seems to be able to tell us when this happened, but they are looking at the issue this winter. This thing has blind sided most of us and we hope to get together with DNR in the following months to come up with a solution. The stigma that vehicle size determines amount of damage is tough to beat. Rigs under 1500 pounds are able to do a lot of damage also. Especially with the sheer numbers of wheelers out there and the common practice to keep going wider and wider around mud holes.

As far as the Rex is concerned, the map shows it going across the Park's Hwy and heading out past the Kantishna area. Graybeard sounds like he knows some of it's history.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Actually the 1500 pound rule has been a "Generally allowed use" for state land for a while now. No one seems to be able to tell us when this happened, but they are looking at the issue this winter. This thing has blind sided most of us and we hope to get together with DNR in the following months to come up with a solution. The stigma that vehicle size determines amount of damage is tough to beat. Rigs under 1500 pounds are able to do a lot of damage also. Especially with the sheer numbers of wheelers out there and the common practice to keep going wider and wider around mud holes.

As far as the Rex is concerned, the map shows it going across the Park's Hwy and heading out past the Kantishna area. Graybeard sounds like he knows some of it's history.
    Excellent... thanks for letting me know.
    Lurker.

Have you checked out the thread concerning the Rex Trail, under Alaska Game Management"? There is a lot of information there. As stated earlier, DNR is considering many options, but the bottom line is there will undoubtedly be changes in the allowed usages on the trail next season.

As far as getting information regarding the history of the trail, I suggest you talk to Jeanie Preaux, or Diane Sam at the Fairbanks DNR office.

Quote Originally Posted by Riflemaker View Post
    Have you checked out the thread concerning the Rex Trail, under Alaska Game Management"? There is a lot of information there. As stated earlier, DNR is considering many options, but the bottom line is there will undoubtedly be changes in the allowed usages on the trail next season.

As far as getting information regarding the history of the trail, I suggest you talk to Jeanie Preaux, or Diane Sam at the Fairbanks DNR office.
    Excellent. Thanks for posting this information. I'll be sure to take a look at that other thread as well.
    Lurker.