Thread: State land vs. Private land

Default State land vs. Private land

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a website or anywhere I can get info. about which land that is private vs. state land in AK. I thought I was in a safe area that wasnt private this weekend when some hill billy jumped out of a hole in the ground and started yelling at me about being on his private property. I would like to find out exactly where I can hunt from now on because that kind of confrontation kind of ruined the rest of my day if you know what I mean.

That would certainly ruin my day. If I am mistakenly on someones private property and they kindly ask me to leave, I would immedately do so and apologize as I was leaving. There is no reason for someone to be an a-hole in a case such as yours, especially if there were no private property signs or fences.

If an area is posted as private property I respect that. If there are no signs or indicators of such, it is undeveloped, and I have no reason to think that it is private property, I hunt it or hike it.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    .....I thought I was in a safe area that wasnt private this weekend when some hill billy jumped out of a hole in the ground and started yelling at me about being on his private property.......
    .....If I am mistakenly on someones private property and they kindly ask me to leave, I would immedately do so and apologize as I was leaving. There is no reason for someone to be an a-hole in a case such as yours, especially if there were no private property signs or fences........
    It's not uncommon to be confronted by someone like that who is a bald-faced liar.

I'd withdraw with grace, but would certainly state that I saw no signs. Then I'd go home and the lands records office and do some research.

If I found that it wasn't private property, I'd go back.

Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Been there, done that.
    What would you accomplish by going back, knowing that there would be a confrontation? Since you've been there and done that, what actually did happen? Were you able to make the other person see the error of their ways, or did you just both pursue your separate activities on the disputed ground?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark

Been there, done that.
    What would you accomplish by going back, knowing that there would be a confrontation?...
    The second time, I'm armed with information.

...Since you've been there and done that, what actually did happen?....
    Everybody else got informed.

....Were you able to make the other person see the error of their ways, or did you just both pursue your separate activities on the disputed ground?
    Both. The liar learned that his lies don't always work, and we went our separate ways.