Thread: Juneau Winter Kings 11/25/07

Default Juneau Winter Kings 11/25/07

Winter King fishing is going good so far in Juneau. Made our first run out so far....Ended up with 2 kings in about an hours worth of fishing. One weighed in @ 22lbs, the 2nd weighed in at about 15lbs.....Not a bad day for fishing from 9am-11am - Pictures to follow

nice! Beating the odds
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default kings

Where do you fish winter kings here? Do i need to pull my boat back out?

A lot of times the good spring king areas are pretty hot for winter kings as well.....Just remember to fish deep....caught these with the riggers set at 120' with bottom being @ 144'

I was wondering what you guys were up to, hadn't seen any duck photos in a while. Great job on those Kings, that's very uncommon to catch them so quickly.

Havent been duck hunting in a while....Pretty much burnt out on it for the rest of the season....Trying to turn my focus on getting a deer in the freezer....and finding time to do that.....However I'm taking a buddy and his son out this week probably....Not going to gun though....Just take pictures....and drive the boat of course

Juneau winter King salmon are definately in the salt... we keep the Can Can in the water all year for just such opportunities. With no snow at sea-level the deer hunting has been more work than I'm willing to put out... might have to dig a few freezer-burned herring out and drag them for a while.

Stay deep and the rod-hours are actually pretty low. Remember the statistics are based on ALL fishing done in the area, so the folks fishing shallow are adding hours to the numbers with minimal chance of a fishy return on their investment. With 2-4 rods out, I usually run 2-3 hours per fish in Oct/Nov/Dec and 3-5 hours per fish Jan/Feb/Mar.

Deep in the middle of Fritz Cove is usually fairly productive - fish the line everyone runs from Picnic Cove to the channel marker, but do it farther from the beach where there's 180-300' of water.... I usually put out 150-200' of downrigger line, so we're likely fishing that 100-120' zone most of the time. That drag just outside George's Rock can be productive too.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dupont is productive as well

HOLY ****. Just winterized the boat the week before Thanksgiving. Oh well, it's back and running now. See ya out there.

Now that the channel markers are out for the season, maybe I'll spend some time at DuPont.... I don't mind folks seeing where I fish, but I don't need everyone driving on Egan seeing the boat for 12 or more hours!

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey epw - I sent you a pm...

Heres the pictures!

Also -Case - If ya ever need someone to help ya catch some fish - Shoot me a pm

Pictures are of my buddy Ben, and my fiance` Kristina, showcasing our two kings
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Heres the pictures!

Also -Case - If ya ever need someone to help ya catch some fish - Shoot me a pm

Pictures are of my buddy Ben, and my fiance` Kristina, showcasing our two kings
    Looks like it might be time for a Juneau-area O.D.D. charter... Is Powder_Monkey back in town? I know I'm "semi-available" most of the time. What's everyone else's schedule look like? If there's any common availability I'll post in Open Seat.

OR... are y'all too competitive to fish from the same boat so we need to have a mini-derby?

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eh I dont mind fishin from the same boat :P

I'm off work wed and thurs - but dont work until 4:00PM on every other day...

I'm in town till the 14th off that week (7th - 14th as long as I'm back to auke bay by 5 pm) I also have the weekends off...

If anyone knows a black bass spot I'll school you guys with a fly rod
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.